LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by voice of the crumbie »

In the post-match analysis on Radio Leicester the observation was made that Tommy Reffel was adding carrying to his repertoire even though this is not generally thought of as an attribute for the natural open side flanker. It was noted that he had "bulked up" without losing any speed and this is making him even more effective at turnovers. It seems that Aled can work his magic with the players we have.

In addition I have also noticed that George Martin was beginning to add this element to his game before his recent inventory.

Also in Jansen, if we keep him, we look to have someone who can fill in well at 8 when Jasper is away or rested.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:24 am
I think
Montoya
Heyes
Chessum
Liebenberg
Wiese
Van Staden
Provides enough ball carriers help give space.
I’m hopeful but not confident - Ellis and Nemani are one offs and can beat defenders, carry and offload without peers.

Watson could beat a man with footwork so a different player entirely to Nadolo and perhaps Pollard offers a different physicality at fly half but basically Genge and Nemzy are unreplaceable.

It’ll mean changes to how we play and I agree that is likely to involve the likes of Moroni creating space rather than relying on bulldozing carrying
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean we have won all our Champions cup games so far without Nadolo.
Who would people say is Saracens big ball carriers? They certainly don't have more "Ball carriers" than us IMO.
Leinster also don't have imo more big carrying players than us.
Toulouse similar.

Massive ball carriers are great, but a good game plan trumps it.
Nadolo has been massive mainly because we are trying still to put in game plans to evolve our attack. I guess the hope is that next season our attack will be crisper and that means we can start playing more to the space.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Losing 2/3 of our best carriers will obviously change how we play next season. I was worried especially with Nadolo going in the backs that we might struggle. But we won yesterday and I’d imagine we won’t see him starting against Leinster.

Next season Montoya is a beast too ball in hand. Snyman, Martin and Chessum can all carry effectively. Backrow Liebenberg, MVS, Wiese, Jansen are only getting better ball in hand. Cracknell is no slouch either supposedly.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

We’ve been without MVS and Martin for a big chunk of the season so will be like having two new players.
A2O
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:11 am I mean we have won all our Champions cup games so far without Nadolo.
Who would people say is Saracens big ball carriers? They certainly don't have more "Ball carriers" than us IMO.
Leinster also don't have imo more big carrying players than us.
Toulouse similar.

Massive ball carriers are great, but a good game plan trumps it.
Nadolo has been massive mainly because we are trying still to put in game plans to evolve our attack. I guess the hope is that next season our attack will be crisper and that means we can start playing more to the space.
Agree with the above.

I think we’ll miss him more than some think - we’ve been spoilt in some ways having a “get out” ready out wide or cutting back inside if things are going slowly.

One of my favourite players at Tigers for many years and a big part of where we’ve got to this season (with more to contribute I’m sure)
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:21 am so we looking at a team of
1. Cronin, Whitcombe, Van Wyk, Richardson, (Rowntree, Seb Smith)
2. Montoya, Dolly, Clare, Vanes
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd, ___ IMO a new prop, (Hoyt, Crane)
4. Chessum, Snyman, (Carnduff)
5. Wells, Henderson, Green, (T.Manz, J.Manz)
6. Liebenberg, Martin, Agbongbon (Koroiyadi)
7. Reffell, Van Staden, Ilione
8. Wiese, Cracknell, Jansen, (Owen)
9. Youngs, JVP, Wigglesworth, (Edwards)
10. Pollard, Burns, Gopperth (Meredith, Welsh)
11. Watson, Saumaki,
12. Kelly, Cokanasiga, Lancaster
13. Moroni, Scott, Porter, (Cusick)
14. Potter, Ashton,
15. Steward, Hegarty,

I reckon if the case we will see another Back 3 player come in at least.
If Wigglesworth retires potentially another scrum Half.
Is Robinson staying or going, do we know? I don't see him on your list.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Old Hob wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:35 pm
11. Watson, Saumaki,
14. Potter, Ashton,
15. Steward, Hegarty,

My list is guess work
no Idea I just don't know if we could afford to have a 3rd Open side especially when he doesn't really cover elsewhere.
It might be between Jansen and Robinson, Jansen fits the Wiese look and covers elsewhere even played lock in the prem cup
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

OK :smt023 Thanks
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:52 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:35 pm
11. Watson, Saumaki,
14. Potter, Ashton,
15. Steward, Hegarty,

My list is guess work
no Idea I just don't know if we could afford to have a 3rd Open side especially when he doesn't really cover elsewhere.
It might be between Jansen and Robinson, Jansen fits the Wiese look and covers elsewhere even played lock in the prem cup
Agreed I can only see Robinson staying if there's concerns over MVS for next season. The emergence of Ilione as a viable 7 option who also covers other backrow positions also helps our squad and at his age he's a prime third choice player (we're not reliant on him but he can get game time and develop).
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

11. Watson, Saumaki,
14. Potter, Ashton,
15. Steward, Hegarty,

Watson's stats position wise:

Occupied positions by Anthony on start team :
Fullback : 88 times ( Fullback 53% )
Winger : 79 times ( Right Wing 37%, Left Wing 10% )

Wouldn't be surprised to see him starting at 15 when Steward is away/injured/rested ahead of Hegarty. It's likely perhaps they will both be away with England at the same time but if Watson drops down the pecking order for England I can see him starting at 15 for us.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Nadalo has been great for us however his defence, as seen from behind the posts at The Stoop and watching him yesterday from the Mattioli is a worry: he was easily beaten 2-3 times yesterday and last week Moroni was screaming at the defence to get across quicker to cover Nadalo. On the other hand his try v Quins was excellent. Then again, watching Ashton yesterday, his running lines, tackling and work rate were on a different level. A great selection dilemma for Steve Borthwick.
He has been a joy to watch but at other times he does lose the ball when space has been made for him.
At his best he is superb but I do worry about his defence on the faster grounds.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Watson isn’t with England he will play 15 yes.

But if he’s fit he will start for us and really start for England.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:49 pm If Watson isn’t with England he will play 15 yes.

Yes he will. And if Potter gets an England call up for the Oz tour we might have 3 away at once!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 4:42 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:49 pm If Watson isn’t with England he will play 15 yes.

Yes he will. And if Potter gets an England call up for the Oz tour we might have 3 away at once!
On today’s showing I might have Potter ahead of Hassell-Collins whose defensive positioning leaked a couple of tries against Wasps.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.