LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Pmvl »

I did say on a different thread I was talking to his mother over in Clermont, he is definitely at Tigers next season & although he yearns to play for Wales he doesn’t want to go back to play a lower level of rugby which it is in Wales compared to the premiership
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Rugbygramps »

baz1664 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:57 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:45 pm
baz1664 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:53 am Any news on Reffell? He would be a massive loss, let’s hope he is under contract for next season, for me Reffell and MVS are the dynamite 7 pairing we need next season!!
Also spoken about on the pod that their sources say he's under contract till the end of next season (they discuss a few more bits than just saying that, but it's definitely worth listening!)
Let’s hope we can sign him on a long term deal, future captain in the making!!
Comments like future captain in the making do make me smile. He may well be along with JVP, Chessum, Liebenberg, Montoya, Kelly, Steward. And who would have said that Genge would make such a good captain, so maybe Whitcombe, or Heyes. I know club captain is deemed to be an honour, but I doubt it makes a jot of difference in whether or not a player stays with a club
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Refell doesn't look like a natural leader to me, you don't see him trying to influence others on the pitch, he's more focused on his own job - but he may grow into a leadership role, he's still very young. Either way, I hope we can keep him beyond next season.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I would love to see Wales have to actually put some commitment when dangling the national team carrot. Lets say you sign a 2 year contract with the union and move to one of the regions. That should be backed with a contractual obligation to be given a decent run in the national team.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Big article in today's Times pointing out that Welsh rugby is pretty much a mess. Gerald Davies said: " Welsh rugby is in a dreadful state. This is the worst period in its 120 year history. No decisions have been made. The mood is pessimistic. There doesn't seem to be a way forward. No one has a vision. No one has a strategy and I think this is reflected in the way players play.

Davies said that in 2003 but it is equally applicable now. The article compares, for example, the 2013 cohort of Under-20 6 Nations players when England and Wales finished equal. The Welsh lads ended up with 117 caps to the English 273 (including some chap called H Wells). It is the same old parochial story "my little patch".

Article by Steve James 26/04/22
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Shamelessly stealing this idea that I heard on the rolling maul podcast, but you would think in the current climate we could strike a deal regarding Tommy.

Along the lines of, if the WRU let him stay, we agree to release to the same level as the centrally contracted players.

benefits of this would be to allow him (and others) to continue development at a higher level, as well as lowering wages for the WRU with none of the availability issues that Pivac mentioned

i'm sure it's not as easy as that, but it's a good idea nonetheless...
Less is more....
Notinthecounty

Post by Notinthecounty »

Re Reffell

Am afraid our podcasters and some on her have missed that releasing non England players outside of an international window is not in our gift and against Premiership rules, teams have been fined previously .

So although a good idea you would have to change premiership rules first
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Bunchy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:53 pm Shamelessly stealing this idea that I heard on the rolling maul podcast, but you would think in the current climate we could strike a deal regarding Tommy.

Along the lines of, if the WRU let him stay, we agree to release to the same level as the centrally contracted players.

benefits of this would be to allow him (and others) to continue development at a higher level, as well as lowering wages for the WRU with none of the availability issues that Pivac mentioned

I'm guessing a hurdle may be that clubs get well compensated by RFU for England player release?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bunchy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:53 pm Shamelessly stealing this idea that I heard on the rolling maul podcast, but you would think in the current climate we could strike a deal regarding Tommy.

I don't think you are allowed to under league rules, WRU should use the money they pay to players to make a deal with Prem Rugby
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It is a good idea and not just in the Prem. Compare Finn Russell, who was having to play constantly for his club in France then skipping across to Scotland at the last minute with any of the other 6N 10s
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would be surprised if the insistence of PRL to drag players back in the fallow weeks in the 6N from nations other than England would withstand any sort of legal scrutiny, surely it's the Clubs decision as they employ the player, not PRL, the cherry on the cake of this was dragging players out of Covid Bubbles, PRL really are clueless on so many levels & issues.

If for example Saints said Biggar could have stopped in the Welsh camp during the 6N they would of been fined as they were when North played for them, it frankly is sod all to do with PRL as is any selection...should we have been fined for not playing Steward at the weekend?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Does anyone else get the impression that Leatigaga no longer looks to be in SB long term plans?
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:24 am Does anyone else get the impression that Leatigaga no longer looks to be in SB long term plans?
I doubt it, given the remaining matches we have left he might be lucky if he gets one more chance to show him self but given last night I think it is likely he played him self out of any plans.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah think he's one,could Richardson play both sides at the top level?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:24 am Does anyone else get the impression that Leatigaga no longer looks to be in SB long term plans?
He is rumoured to have just come back after an injury, so he may not have been 100% last night.

However that stated I think he isn't likely to be retained, he likely can get more elsewhere, such as France, plus with Richardson there seems to have recently been a big push to get him some time at Tighthead so he can be that prop who covers both sides.

If you look at Borthwick sides with the likes of Genge, Heyes, Whitcombe etc all having had 70 minute performances on the pitch this season. He likes props who can play pretty much the full match if required by injury (see Cole in the WC final) I don't think Leatigaga fits that mould so I expect him to leave when his contract ends.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.