LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Postiger2 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:42 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:40 pm Like many others, I'm a bit nervous about who we get in to replace Gengey. Personally, I don't rate Van Wyk very highly. I know it sounds harsh but I'm not even sure he's good enough to be back up. Maybe that's unfair.
Van Wyk is not in the same universe as Gengey he is 3rd choice at best.
Well, technically he is in the same universe but I know what you mean :smt003

It's concerning that there doesn't seem to be too many good loose heads available. Hopefully we can pull a rabbit out of the hat with this one.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:40 pm Like many others, I'm a bit nervous about who we get in to replace Gengey. Personally, I don't rate Van Wyk very highly. I know it sounds harsh but I'm not even sure he's good enough to be back up. Maybe that's unfair.
There aren’t many world wide of of Genge quality. I think Cronin will do a good job if rumours are true, and give Whitcombe a chance to develop, who at 21. Is better than Genge was at that age
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Side point to note, Vanes has won Nottingham's young player of the year award so has definitely impressed there. Hall who's playing for us in the PRC semifinal has won their player of the year award. Wonder if we may be tempted to give him a contract next year for some added depth, but loan him back to Nottingham in our agreement with them?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wouldn't it be wiser to just loan him from Nottingham rather the other way around?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Possibly, to my mind depends on what the intricacies of the agreement we have with them in terms of who gets prioritised in the event of a clash. Hall for example is playing for us tomorrow on the back of 70min for Nottingham on Saturday in a cup game where due to a big deficit they were unlikely to go through. From a Tigers point of view if he was our loanee to them we could have probably had more say on him getting less gametime
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I don’t know the answer to this but surely if he is a Tigers player he comes under our salary cap. If he is a Nottingham player then he falls under theirs, and we compensate them when we borrow him. If we are only going to do that 3 or 4 times in a season I would suggest it’s a no brainier
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:43 pm I don’t know the answer to this but surely if he is a Tigers player he comes under our salary cap. If he is a Nottingham player then he falls under theirs, and we compensate them when we borrow him. If we are only going to do that 3 or 4 times in a season I would suggest it’s a no brainier
That's entirely down to the loan agreement. What Tigers play towards his salary counts to the cap and what Nottingham pay does not come out of our cap. So that depends on the loan agreement, for all we know we may have agreed to pay the entirety of Hall's wages for just these few games (an exaggeration I know) for my mind the club who the players contracted to gets the primary say in who plays for which club. Who pays how much will more be down to who he plays for. I'd just rather be in control of that more for more players (with the caveat that the relationship needs to work for Nottingham as much as for us)
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Would we need him with Cracknell coming in?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:08 pm Would we need him with Cracknell coming in?
Probably not that's true
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A like for like player replacement for Ellis would be very difficult to achieve.However , different players bring different attributes and it is to the overall effectiveness of the pack/front row that we must look to.Here, the coaching/recruitment staff have to be trusted.The unit could actually become stronger as a whole.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Morning all. A rare plug for the podcast, the Rolling Maul, this morning - we’ve got some news on Reffell, Moroni, MVS and the Emperor himself, Montoya.

Something to brighten up mornings hopefully!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/t ... 0558673359
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:27 am Morning all. A rare plug for the podcast, the Rolling Maul, this morning - we’ve got some news on Reffell, Moroni, MVS and the Emperor himself, Montoya.

Just listening to it now - first time and it's a very enjoyable listen. Good work guys and brilliant news on all four of the bits you've mentioned above.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

iceman_19 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:27 am Morning all. A rare plug for the podcast, the Rolling Maul, this morning - we’ve got some news on Reffell, Moroni, MVS and the Emperor himself, Montoya.

How much of this am I able to sneakily listen to in the gents at work? Normally listen on my way home... I need to know...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am really buzzing about the news on the podcast. The next thing I want to know is who is Gengie's replacement? After that, I can sleep peacefully at night
Hehehehehehehehe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:30 am

How much of this am I able to sneakily listen to in the gents at work? Normally listen on my way home... I need to know...
The news is in the first 15 minutes so you could sneak that in, I'm sure