LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Fish8ter

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Fish8ter »

Whitcombe did play the last 7 minutes
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:13 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:10 am Interesting that Whitcombe didn’t appear yesterday. Slimani provides a unique challenge with him being short for a tight head so could understand not wanting Whitcombe against him. But he didn’t appear even Slimani went off, so could have been pre planned that Ellis would play the 80 except for injury
Whitcombe came on with about 5min to go
Thank you I obviously didn’t notice that
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Would Cronin provide us with anything that Van Wyk doesn’t already? Just curious, as I’ve not seen enough to know personally. I did wonder if we’d be looking at someone like Boyce, mid twenties age profile as a nice fit between Van Wyk and Whitcombe.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:54 am Would Cronin provide us with anything that Van Wyk doesn’t already? Just curious, as I’ve not seen enough to know personally. I did wonder if we’d be looking at someone like Boyce, mid twenties age profile as a nice fit between Van Wyk and Whitcombe.
Like you don’t know much about Cronin. For me Van Wyk is only seen as a bench player not a premiership starter, possibly Cronin is. The other thing is that Leatigaga May also be moving on too
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:06 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:29 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:39 pm can we stops this baseless speculation of MVS having to retire, he's not the first player who suffers a couple of concussions in a short while to be given an extended break, and frankly he won't be the last
Who is saying it’s baseless. I truly hope we see him again, but any comments are far from baseless
This is one of the side effects of the clubs silence on these matters, the rights & wrongs of, have been debated frequently on these pages.
This is true, but all the more reason to leave it until we actually get a snippet. I find it annoying, not knowing why a player is in or out etc, I mean, where was Nadolo yesterday ? As soon as someone isn't selected, the speculation starts. Until people have gone frame by frame through a 30 second video of training, to see who appears in the background we have nothing, and even then we don't know if the players is in non-contact or full contact training (Henderson....).

I'm still 50/50 as to whether complete radio silence on injuries is a good thing or whether we go back to the old style "<insert player name> is 2 weeks away", which generally meant that 2 weeks was the bare minimum and you could add a couple of weeks onto that. Then when that player doesn't appear in the squad after 3 weeks, you start all over again ! Frustrating.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

For what it's worth, from what I have seen of the Development Squad guys (15 games I've been to this season) who have appeared for Nottingham, I can only put Vanes in the category of "he's got potential". Started off slowly but has emerged over the season, which culminated in his appearances in the Prem Cup for Tigers, where he made a big impression. Whether he gets a first team contract, I'm not sure as Montoya, Claire, Dolly are there...TCD was on loan anyway and Tom Youngs I think will retire. Of the others, Lewis Chessum is tall and hasn't grown into his body yet, but you can see he's good in the lineout (shock) and has a bit of edge about him. Watched the Under 20s in France where he got "stuck in" and again for Nottingham vs Bedford last Friday - let's say he won't take any nonsense ! Of the others that have appeared for Notts, I can't say anyone has really stood out. Lancaster was good at Hartpury when they narrowly lost but that's about it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:57 am
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:54 am Would Cronin provide us with anything that Van Wyk doesn’t already? Just curious, as I’ve not seen enough to know personally. I did wonder if we’d be looking at someone like Boyce, mid twenties age profile as a nice fit between Van Wyk and Whitcombe.
Like you don’t know much about Cronin. For me Van Wyk is only seen as a bench player not a premiership starter, possibly Cronin is. The other thing is that Leatigaga May also be moving on too
Van Wyk has spent the bulk of his career being a solid back up prop. Cronin has 3 international caps to his name and more than 140 appearances for Munster where I think he battled Kilcoyne for the starting spot. I don't think he'll be a patch on Genge but an upgrade on van Wyk who I'm sure we'll keep as he seems a good squad man.

As always whether he's a great signing will depend on his fitness and how much we have to spend to get him. Should he actually sign obviously.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:27 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:06 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:29 am

Who is saying it’s baseless. I truly hope we see him again, but any comments are far from baseless
This is one of the side effects of the clubs silence on these matters, the rights & wrongs of, have been debated frequently on these pages.
This is true, but all the more reason to leave it until we actually get a snippet. I find it annoying, not knowing why a player is in or out etc, I mean, where was Nadolo yesterday ? As soon as someone isn't selected, the speculation starts. Until people have gone frame by frame through a 30 second video of training, to see who appears in the background we have nothing, and even then we don't know if the players is in non-contact or full contact training (Henderson....).

I'm still 50/50 as to whether complete radio silence on injuries is a good thing or whether we go back to the old style "<insert player name> is 2 weeks away", which generally meant that 2 weeks was the bare minimum and you could add a couple of weeks onto that. Then when that player doesn't appear in the squad after 3 weeks, you start all over again ! Frustrating.
Answer to where Nadolo was he had been to West Midlands Safari Park, and I’m sure we will see him Saturday. I have a theory that is probably wide of the mark, that we have agreed for him to have little more family time if he stays for his final year. Unlikely I know
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:39 pm can we stops this baseless speculation of MVS having to retire, he's not the first player who suffers a couple of concussions in a short while to be given an extended break, and frankly he won't be the last
Further wild speculation, but of a positive nature: Jacques Nienaber mentions Van Staden when discussing competition for next year’s World Cup squad.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jacques- ... on-outcry/

While he does state that this discussion is notwithstanding big injuries, do we think he is more in the know about Van Staden than the average forum goer? Likely. Would he have mentioned Van Staden’s name in the context of 2023 if he knew that Van Staden would be retiring? Unlikely.

:smt039
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I'm not sure Borthwick's approach to the media is sustainable.

Radio silence on player availability hasn't been an issue thus far because we've been incredible. Who's going to kick up a stink about the absence of Nemani or MvS or the 'starting XV one week/not in the 23 the next' selections when we're smashing Clermont?

But if we were to have a bad run of results...
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am, in general, totally fine with SB approach. If you make an announcement, let's say Nemani has such and such an injury and is out for a month. That is one less tactical possibility that our next couple of opponents need to prepare for. By saying nothing, those teams need to prepare for him being on the pitch. Seems to make sense.

That said, some teams provide a simple list of players not available for selection with no reasons or timescales. That could be a happy medium.

Overall though, I am confident that SB puts out what he feels is the best team for each match and so it really does not matter why any given player is not in that 23 and, unless we get a hammering (in which case I suggest selection would be discussed post match) I really am not sure why we feel entitled to know any more.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

[olist=][/olist]
No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:33 pm
Further wild speculation, but of a positive nature: Jacques Nienaber mentions Van Staden when discussing competition for next year’s World Cup squad.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jacques- ... on-outcry/

While he does state that this discussion is notwithstanding big injuries, do we think he is more in the know about Van Staden than the average forum goer? Likely. Would he have mentioned Van Staden’s name in the context of 2023 if he knew that Van Staden would be retiring? Unlikely.

:smt039
I think we are all hoping you are correct, as I think someone has mentioned even if we don’t see him again this season, it would be like having a new player next season. Also I would imagine he is unlikely to be called up by the Boks in the summer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:09 am I am, in general, totally fine with SB approach. If you make an announcement, let's say Nemani has such and such an injury and is out for a month. That is one less tactical possibility that our next couple of opponents need to prepare for. By saying nothing, those teams need to prepare for him being on the pitch. Seems to make sense.

That said, some teams provide a simple list of players not available for selection with no reasons or timescales. That could be a happy medium.

Overall though, I am confident that SB puts out what he feels is the best team for each match and so it really does not matter why any given player is not in that 23 and, unless we get a hammering (in which case I suggest selection would be discussed post match) I really am not sure why we feel entitled to know any more.
Couldn't agree more. I understand why it upsets some fans but I think ultimately, it's about the players and the team and as you say, keeping the opposition guessing. I really don't have a problem with it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... es-6943973

Turns out we nearly signed Montoya in 2011, glad we got that one over the line!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1544122/10343214

Interesting @41 minutes that Stu says that his son might be going out to play in brisbane, sounds more like a loan though