LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by westwinds31 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:17 pm Anthony Watson's had 2 x Achilles ruptures and an ACL rupture in recent years!?

Crikey, hope the Tigers medical team take a good, long look at him before a contract is signed.
If we end up signing him, I would quite happily bow to the expertise of our medical and S&C people, who you could argue are among the best in world rugby (?). So if he comes in, it’s not a risk, or as far as we’ve done our homework and we think we can keep him fit and also improve an already world class player, as we have with many others.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:47 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6906801

Ashton wanting to stay next season - no brainier for all parties surely?
No disrespect to Anthony Watson but I'd rather keep Chris Ashton.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:38 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:47 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6906801

Why not have both ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:46 pm

Why not have both ?
Yes I'm sure it will be both
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wouldn’t have thought it’s an either or situation. Assuming we have picked up Ashton for relatively small change, that isn’t going to increase much in the current environment. Same with Watson, given his injury history, whereas it wouldn’t be a pay as you play deal, I would imagine the first year would be appearance based, then if that figure is reached an increase in the 2nd year. Unlikely to be the £300k that has been mentioned
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Why not have both ?
We've had Kobus Van Wyk leave, who IMO Ashton replaces.

Both Nadolo (probably leaving) and Murimurivalu (maybe leaving) are currently possibly leaving. So Watson could replace either of those.

Currently as rumored as I have it:
Centre's and back 3 (because they often cover each other e.g.Porter, Moroni & Murimurivalu)

Gopperth replaces Socino (if he goes)
Cokanasinga replaces Taute (if he retires)
Ashton replaces Van Wyk

Question is, can we afford Watson unless one of, Moroni, Murimurivalu or Nadolo leaves?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A sad reminder that, no matter the age or level, all players are one game away from their last.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 21941.html
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:22 pm

Why not have both ?

Both Nadolo (probably leaving) and Murimurivalu (maybe leaving) are currently possibly leaving. So Watson could replace either of those.

Centre's and back 3 (because they often cover each other e.g.Porter, Moroni & Murimurivalu)

Ashton replaces Van Wyk

Question is, can we afford Watson unless one of, Moroni, Murimurivalu or Nadolo leaves?
No we can’t. Suspect that 2 of those 3 will probably leave if we need to make space for Ashton and Cokisigina.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Why not have both ?

Ashton replaces Van Wyk

No we can’t. Suspect that 2 of those 3 will probably leave if we need to make space for Ashton and Cokisigina.
When Kobus van Wyk signed he was scoring for fun in the SH. I suspect that we could near enough get Ashton and Phil Cockanasiga for what KVW was probably on.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:37 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:33 pm

Ashton replaces Van Wyk

When Kobus van Wyk signed he was scoring for fun in the SH. I suspect that we could near enough get Ashton and Phil Cockanasiga for what KVW was probably on.
Your probably right but suspect Watson would mean 2 of he 3 leaving.
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I can see / maybe hoping that Nadolo finishes his contract and is with us next season. Would love to see Moroni stay too. In that case I can see the incoming making up the numbers for the departing players. If that’s the case then we’ve definitely upgraded in most cases.

Gopperth >>> Socino
Cokanasiga >>> Taute
Ashton >>> Van Wyk
Watson >>> Murimurivalu
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wasn’t David Williams linked as joining us full time next year also?

Moroni is interesting if he doesn’t start starting more I suspect he’s off.
Porter shift to 13 for me did seem to indicate that might be viewed as his position going forward.

I hope Moroni doesn’t go but Porter and Scott are both options that are extremely good.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:08 pm Wasn’t David Williams linked as joining us full time next year also?

Moroni is interesting if he doesn’t start starting more I suspect he’s off.
Porter shift to 13 for me did seem to indicate that might be viewed as his position going forward.

I hope Moroni doesn’t go but Porter and Scott are both options that are extremely good.
Williams did a decent job here for us and has been outplaying Browning at Nottingham, plus plays 13 too, wouldn't be surprised if he comes in if we're letting some/all ofSimmons, Aspland-Robinson, Olowofela and Browning go.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is Steff Hughes not happening then?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Isn’t Ashton a short term deal that will surely go up in price next year if he re-signs? Even if he wants to be here, he’s surely not going to pay for as little in season 2?

Personally - would keep Ashton over someone new simply because we had so much turnover and the squad seems pretty settled now. Maybe that’s just perception (as KvW obviously leaving, Brink midway through the season etc shows, maybe it’s all just a trick of the mind) but it FEELS more settled