Our pitch

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Our pitch

Post by ay2oh »

Anyone got any idea why our pitch looks so poor. Comparing it with saints pitch which looks very good. Is it because we didn’t re-seed it last summer ?
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Our pitch

Post by RagingBull »

IDK but it suits us.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:51 pm Anyone got any idea why our pitch looks so poor. Comparing it with saints pitch which looks very good. Is it because we didn’t re-seed it last summer ?
I asked Ed Mowe this the other day and it is due to it being used more during the week for training due to Covid and also the weather has not been ideal.
Pre-covid it was only used for matches and the Captains run……now getting alot more use.
The pitch is pretty good for this time of the year and there are no mud patches which you expect and see at other grounds.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Worst I’ve seen it since we laid the new pitch
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Apparently it looks worse on tv than it does when standing on it
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There were a couple of scrum re-sets yesterday that moved 5-6ft either way to allow the front rows to get decent traction.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

One positive is that we have not lost a game on this pitch all season!
www.matthampson.co.uk
bendy

Post by bendy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:20 pm Apparently it looks worse on tv than it does when standing on it
I had the pleasure of going onto the pitch after the match on Saturday and it looks dreadful up close, so I hate to think how it looks on TV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:07 pm Worst I’ve seen it since we laid the new pitch
They have said I think that the usage of it has been a lot more intensive, with sections training in isolation from others it's been used a lot more for training due to Covid than usual.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:02 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:07 pm Worst I’ve seen it since we laid the new pitch
They have said I think that the usage of it has been a lot more intensive, with sections training in isolation from others it's been used a lot more for training due to Covid than usual.
Bit confused why we would use Welford road when we have all weather pitches at oval park.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:27 pm
Bit confused why we would use Welford road when we have all weather pitches at oval park.
I assume it was to seperate groups of players during covid.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:27 pm
I believe that numbers have been limited hence the need to use Oval Park and Welford Road.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

bendy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:54 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:20 pm Apparently it looks worse on tv than it does when standing on it
I had the pleasure of going onto the pitch after the match on Saturday and it looks dreadful up close, so I hate to think how it looks on TV.
After a match it always looks worn in places and the ground staff are working on the pitch after the game for a few hours.....
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Since the new pitch was laid we have in the close season stripped the top off, relaid sanded and reseeded the top layer, Due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of when rugby would recommence this was not done and the pitch with its plastic base has suffered, a full close season or major investment should resolve the matter.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:37 am Since the new pitch was laid we have in the close season stripped the top off, relaid sanded and reseeded the top layer, Due to the pandemic and the uncertainty of when rugby would recommence this was not done and the pitch with its plastic base has suffered, a full close season or major investment should resolve the matter.
Shouldn't an extended break due to covid have provided greater opportunity to work on the pitch, rather than less? Or am I missing something?

I don't recall any uncertainty about whether this season would begin on time.