Our pitch

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Our pitch

Post by mol2 »

I think players have been back training and playing matches for quite some time so the extended break would have been in 2020 and quite a few games and a fair amount of training have gone on since competitive rugby returned and the bubble system to limit the risk of games being cancelled and forfitted by positive tests.
Given the consequences of Covid on revenue I doubt there was a budget for a newly laid pitch last summer.

If all goes well the amout the players need to separate will be less and less but the pitch won't realistically grow much until spring.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No matter what it looks like it isn’t stopping decent games of rugby being played. Rugby should be played on grass, I’m not a fan of these plastic surfaces, although they are improving. By my count there are now 4 such surfaces in the premiership, Sarries, Newcastle, Gloucester and Worcester, apologies if I’ve missed any
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree games should be played on grass but our hybrid pitch used to look great even at this time of the season.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:51 am Agree games should be played on grass but our hybrid pitch used to look great even at this time of the season.
Yes it did but reasons have been given, such as having to train on it and the heavy rain storms we have had, with no real sun to speak of I’m sure once it has a proper 2 months rest and recuperation it’ll be looking fantastic again.
I’m by no means knowledgeable on grass maintenance but does the shadow thrown by the big stand make any difference
TigerSID

Post by TigerSID »

There was a brief update on the news section of the website talking about this: https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ed ... hl-january

It talks about using lighting rigs which I guess they use to try and overcome the shading element from the stands and the shorter daylight hours during winter. Thankfully the days are beginning to stretch out a little :smt001
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Due to Covid our season was interrupted, No work could be done on the pitch until a decision was made about when play would start again which it did during the summer with the following season starting and finishing late, this season started on time but the gap between the two seasons was I believe insufficient for the work to be done and a newly seeded pitch to grow to the strength required.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

They used to use lighting rigs which could be seen from the Royal.

Not sure the pitch is that bad, nothing like the Rec in the old days.

I really object to the use of artifical pitches in top level rugby. Too much grip, friction and bounce. Great for hockey pitches but not for a game where you are diving falling and being twisted by force.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:34 am Due to Covid our season was interrupted, No work could be done on the pitch until a decision was made about when play would start again which it did during the summer with the following season starting and finishing late, this season started on time but the gap between the two seasons was I believe insufficient for the work to be done and a newly seeded pitch to grow to the strength required.
An excellent point you forget that the 2 seasons started and finished within a couple of weeks
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It looks better than my lawn, and that just has a couple of whippets belting around on it!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Whatever view you might have it looks a lot better than artificial!!!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If you ask the Groundstaff if they are happy with the pitch they will say that its not at its best but there are underlying issues which they are having to deal with and they do not have control of some conditions which are needed to bring the pitch back up to where they want it to be............very frustrating for them but I believe that Exeter had similar issues with there pitch last year and it turned into a mudbath in centre field. Tigers pitch has been nowhere near that state.
They have great pride in the pitch and are always wanting it to look at its best........not always possible.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

loretta wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:15 am It looks better than my lawn, and that just has a couple of whippets belting around on it!
You should see mine after my Cockerpoo and 3 legged cocker spaniel have finished
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If they have had to use WR for training I can understand why.
Oval Park only has 3 pitches, far pitch, nearest the tip, Oadby Wyggs use, Middle pitch is solely used by Tigers and this is the hybrid, as far as I am aware. The near pitch I think is used by both Tigers and Oadby Wyggs. Not sure if this is hybrid. In addition Tigers have a half size plastic bubble, I assume they use that in frosty conditions.
I think this lack of space was the reason why they were looking for a new training venue some years ago, but that fell through.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Exeter have the same type of pitch and it looks very bare in todays game versus Sale.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:02 pm Exeter have the same type of pitch and it looks very bare in todays game versus Sale.
It does, suppose it shows that even if the grass wears off the pitch doesn't appear to cut up and get as muddy as a non hybrid?