Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens (Away) - Saturday 05th March 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:35 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:02 am Burns has no missed tackles…..unlike Daly who made 1 and missed 3.
Ever thought that Burns did not attempt to make any tackles :smt017 At least Daly made 1 and attempted 3.
😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Brown may not be a bad call for a very short term but we have to be careful we don’t start looking like a retirement home
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:45 am Brown may not be a bad call for a very short term but we have to be careful we don’t start looking like a retirement home
Only just moved to Falcons can’t see him wanting to move again
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:45 am Brown may not be a bad call for a very short term but we have to be careful we don’t start looking like a retirement home
Well he would feel at home with Nemani, Wiggy, Kini, Jimmy and Coley :smt002
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:53 am
Believe that he is not getting a contract with Falcons next season
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:11 pm
Thanks for that TB I hadn’t seen that
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The best team won on the day, but I was encouraged by the performance of a fairly inexperienced Tigers team.

We lost for 2 reasons, IMO:

1) Naivety. As soon as it became clear that sir was not interested in team warnings for repeated infringements, we should have adopted exactly the same tactic as Sarries and kept them out illegally, but on at least a couple of occasions it seemed like we just waved them over the try line because we were scared of giving a penalty - why? I kept expecting Ford to give sir a polite nudge about the number of Sarries penalties in their 22, put him under a bit of pressure, but.... nothing.

2) Restarts. At least 2 catastrophically poor attempts to gather a restart, one of which lead directly to 7 points for Sarries.

Whitcombe definitely passed the test, as did everyone else in that pack - they just need to keep gaining experience and a bit of nous. I thought Green might have provided that but he didn't seem at his best.

I remain convinced that a Burns/Hegarty 10/15 would have been more productive in the match, but thinking ahead I would rather that Ford was rusty now than at the business end of the season - after weeks of England isolation we need him to get some minutes on the pitch. Same goes for Moroni - I think Kelly or Porter would have played better, but we need Moroni to get back into the swing of things. The result today was fairly meaningless, it's what happens in April/May/June that matters and I think Borthwick had this in mind.

As for the referee, I thought he was ok, apart from the lack of team warning etc, but I feel that he would have been exactly the same with Tigers and we should have adapted. Pleased to see Muri get the yellow that his action deserved, too many get away with that and I hope this will be the start of it being consistently penalised (I doubt it though). Davies head on head would definitely have been a red a year or two ago, but nowadays yellow is probably about right for me.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:21 pm

He did a very emotional interview where he was pretty much in tears saying he had to go home and tell his wife they needed to move homes again.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:34 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:21 pm

He did a very emotional interview where he was pretty much in tears saying he had to go home and tell his wife they needed to move homes again.
Well thats understandable but I would be surprised if he chose to say up north permanently anyways. Furthermore often in life we have to make difficult fiscal and family decisions. I cannot believe he has not made fiscal provision for post rugby and he must have earned a few job with 72 england caps and some 300 harlequins games. So he could decide to call it a day.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Apparently he had an option in his contract for a further year but Falcons have apparently decided not to take up the option.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Newcastle fans don't seem to rate him since he's joined and he's not earned another contract there so I'm not sure we'd see the value. With Steward and Hegarty we've got two solid fullbacks, Burns can cover there and I'd rather concentrate on trying to retain Murimurivalu who can cover multiple positions. Brown doesn't offer any versatility.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Highly paid sports person has to move home. First world problems really...

He's an emotional guy and I'm not criticising him for being upset at not being kept on at Falcons, but equally I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about whether the Browns will be ok.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=sam16111986 post_id=811571 time=1646579177 user_id=6978]
[quote=mightymouse post_id=811553 time=1646567149 user_id=2307]
Brown may not be a bad call for a very short term but we have to be careful we don’t start looking like a retirement home
[/quote]

Newcastle fans don't seem to rate him since he's joined and he's not earned another contract there so I'm not sure we'd see the value. With Steward and Hegarty we've got two solid fullbacks, Burns can cover there and I'd rather concentrate on trying to retain Murimurivalu who can cover multiple positions. Brown doesn't offer any versatility.
[/quote]

I agree - didn't think Brown performed well when he played at Welford Road last time out. Unfortunately, he does seem to be past his best.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ok, on the Kini yellow. In real time, he “lands” on Lewington a millisecond after he touches the ball down. No knee or arm going in for foul play. In slow motion it looks worse. The fact that they both slide out of play makes it looks even worse, and Kini looks like he’s going to help Lewington up, but in comes Daley (I think) to create a fracas, others pile in and the crowd over react….making it look worse than it was.

So, if he doesn’t put a shot in, despite the try bring obvious, they’d be complaints that he didn’t make an effort. I’ve seen at least 2 other tries this weekend where a similar thing has happened….no card. I give up.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

After Green neck rolled Vunipola. Billy played dead by laying flat out on the pitch stopping play. it was an Oscar performance designed to draw the TMOs attention to get Green a yellow card. It nearly succeeded as the TMO lobbied CMK hard but fair play CMK just gave the penalty.