Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Lutontiger

Ben Youngs

Post by Lutontiger »

There’s a really nice article about Ben in today’s Guardian. Sorry I don’t know how to copy it into this.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by Rugbygramps »

Remarkable achievement for a player who gets very mixed reviews, particularly on this forum, to likely break the English cap record on Saturday.
Huge kudos to Lenny a one club man and family
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Absolute club legend.

Remarkable how he's adapted his game over the years to stay at the top.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 pm Remarkable achievement for a player who gets very mixed reviews, particularly on this forum,[...]
I reckon it's a safe bet that many of those giving him mixed reviews, on here and in the press, will be looking back to Lenny when he's been retired a couple of years and doubtless will have "always rated him, never understood the criticism". It seems to be an English disease to want the shiny new thing starting no matter how good the incumbent is, drives me crackers...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Crofty wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:08 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:01 pm Remarkable achievement for a player who gets very mixed reviews, particularly on this forum,[...]
I reckon it's a safe bet that many of those giving him mixed reviews, on here and in the press, will be looking back to Lenny when he's been retired a couple of years and doubtless will have "always rated him, never understood the criticism". It seems to be an English disease to want the shiny new thing starting no matter how good the incumbent is, drives me crackers...
Very much the English disease knock those at the top. I would like to think players from both sides will give him a guard of honour at HQ
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

He's very hard done to. Like it says in the article, he might not do this, that and the other, but he rarely has a bad game. Either for us or England. Yeah the odd kick might go astray, but the amount he's asked to kick, the bad ones show up.

Great player, well deserved.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Ben is thoroughly good, nice man and a fantastic club man .. the absolute epitome of “club first”.

My issue has not been about kicking because I know that is always under orders with that and actually he is generally pretty accurate. No, for me it has always been about speed of delivery.. the 2 step mentioned in the article. It just slows down the whole attack.. we call it the Jamie Hamilton school of scrum halves (if you recall that far back) on our part of terrace. Actually I think he’s improved a little on that front .. maybe a Wiggo influence!

But we all love him and he’s ours .. he’s not perfect.. but who is? He is steady and reliable and Tigers would have been in even bigger trouble than we were in recent years without him and his brother .. and Old King Cole of course😂
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Mention of Jamie Hamilton reminds me of when he came on against Llanelli or Neath at Welford Road in the European cup, I groaned and mentioned to my Welsh neighbour on the terrace that he was probably our worst player, Jamie's first touch was to pick the ball up at a ruck and run straight through and between the sticks, my Welsh neighbour turned to me and asked if we have any more rubbish players? and if so could they could borrow them!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:36 am Ben is thoroughly good, nice man and a fantastic club man .. the absolute epitome of “club first”.

My issue has not been about kicking because I know that is always under orders with that and actually he is generally pretty accurate. No, for me it has always been about speed of delivery.. the 2 step mentioned in the article. It just slows down the whole attack.. we call it the Jamie Hamilton school of scrum halves (if you recall that far back) on our part of terrace. Actually I think he’s improved a little on that front .. maybe a Wiggo influence!

But we all love him and he’s ours .. he’s not perfect.. but who is? He is steady and reliable and Tigers would have been in even bigger trouble than we were in recent years without him and his brother .. and Old King Cole of course😂
Well said. I actually think that his weakness has not been his speed of pass per se, so much as his accuracy! Quite often the receivers get it behind them or above them that just halts the speed of attack a little. It’s a common whinge amongst the folks that I sit with! But as you said, I love him too and think he ( and Fordy) are often unfairly singled out when a team is not playing well. That’s not to say they don’t have some responsibility on that front, but the issues are never usually as simple as just blaming them. I hope he’s with us for a few years yet.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Our views of Youngs slow passing really reflects the state of Tigers in recent years prior to the arrival of Borthwick.

Who does a scrum half pass to quickly when the “ball carriers” are standing still or ambling into position?

You can’t hit an attacking option when no one is offering it! We had an era of utility back/second rows who offered little line break options when ball in hand. Compare that to what we have now with Wiese, Liebenberg, Martin etc. If the defensive line has to cover multiple runners that gives options to the scrum half and allows the option to run as players drift.

Likewise box kicking. Who was chasing the kicks? Totally different now with the kick seeing a stream of chasers pressurising the full back. Previously we seemed to hope for a knock on. Blame the kicker?
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Further piece on the BBC web site. And I can’t do the link either.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

CJ wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:21 pm Further piece on the BBC web site. And I can’t do the link either.
its just literally copy and paste...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60466448

Edit: sorry that wasn't meant to sound as sarky!
Last edited by ads on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:11 am Our views of Youngs slow passing really reflects the state of Tigers in recent years prior to the arrival of Borthwick.

Who does a scrum half pass to quickly when the “ball carriers” are standing still or ambling into position?

You can’t hit an attacking option when no one is offering it! We had an era of utility back/second rows who offered little line break options when ball in hand. Compare that to what we have now with Wiese, Liebenberg, Martin etc. If the defensive line has to cover multiple runners that gives options to the scrum half and allows the option to run as players drift.

Likewise box kicking. Who was chasing the kicks? Totally different now with the kick seeing a stream of chasers pressurising the full back. Previously we seemed to hope for a knock on. Blame the kicker?
This post is absolutely spot on. Who is he supposed to pass the ball to if they’re not there.
I notice his biggest critic has yet to post on here