Gloucester (Home) - Saturday 26th February 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester (Home) - Saturday 26th February 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Hopefully Atkinson is OK, although I think he will have a rest for a few weeks.

Kelly continues to be consistently excellent. For such a slight guy he's got some power in him.

As a few have said, our bench made the difference. Almost from the first box kick by Wiggy when he came on the momentum changed.

Not a polished performance but a 5 point win at home against a top four challenger not to be dismissed out of hand.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Just got home and still buzzing. Excellent bonus point win.
On to Sarries next week. Soooooo hope we win - and only partly because I am going with a group that includes a Sarries fan. One of, er, very few.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I cannot understand how ackerman can knock atkinson with his head and not go for an HIA. Lots round us saying the same.

I don't normally say much about the refs, but the one in the middle and on the lines today were absolutely atrocious - the TMO did level best to talk the ref out of anything.

Glaws were frequently offside, crossing etc.

In general the most bizarre thing today was just how bad we were receiving kick offs - I don't remember a single clear take in the entire match.

Relief at the result - LI going to be a proper test at home though.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Great win. Glaws we’re good value and the better side in the first half. Haven’t seen our scrum go back like that for a long time

On a separate note, did anyone listen to the Ref mike? Aside from good communication with both sides and control he was actually quite funny. Some of his banter with the players had a few of us giggling like children in places.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Lost the scrum battle for some 50 mins then we gained ascendency when both sides changed their front rows. At half time thought we would lose the game as they nullified are biggest weapon the maul and we were giving away pen after pen and at scrum time. Credit to the players and coaches who addressed these areas and turned it round for a 5 pointer win. Burns excelled, Nadolo was anonymous, Ashton had a cameo kick and chase. Wiese was on it and Porter 's try was sensational.
Happy days
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

CJ wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:44 pm Just got home and still buzzing. Excellent bonus point win.
On to Sarries next week. Soooooo hope we win - and only partly because I am going with a group that includes a Sarries fan. One of, er, very few.
Could be a rehearsal of the final?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Thought the scrum changed when Atkinson was down injured. Wells talking to SB on the sidelines followed by a forwards huddle. After that we regained some control and for sure Balmain going off helped. Thought Wells put in a huge shift btw.

We certainly improved after half time and had a more impactful bench - Scott, Reffell and Green all adding something. Nadolo didn’t look fit to me.

Porter’s try was the best finish I remember seeing from us in a while.
Last edited by Grimlish on Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

2nd week on the bounce Nadolo has been a little of colour. Possibly get a rest next week on Sarries plastic carpet
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

How many times can the TMO show a perfectly good try in the hope that the ref will change his mind?

Accidental clash between two Glaws players yet repeated attempts to find a Tigers player to blame.

If a player goes off side at a ruck penalise him the first time not tell him to go back on multiple occasions before giving a penalty. Just because you don’t play the ball it doesn’t mean that your going offside hasn’t distracted the scrum half and closed off the blind side.

As for the yellow most wouldn’t think it merited a penalty from the reruns on the big screen.

Not a good day for the officials.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I thought the thing that changed the scrum was Green coming on, he made a real difference IMO.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:46 pm I thought the thing that changed the scrum was Green coming on, he made a real difference IMO.
A lot of folk blame the front row when s scrum goes bad. The second row is very important. They don't call it the engine room for nothing.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:46 pm I thought the thing that changed the scrum was Green coming on, he made a real difference IMO.
Indeed, although Balmain was holding the Glaws scrum together I thought in first half Snyman was likely a little light in the row. More dynamic than Green but we lacked a bit of je ne sais quoi!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Well.....it's always good to finish the day in credit. Three pints up on Posh Richard, one for the Tuilagi affair, one for tries scored, and another for the win plus two post match Remys. One for a Tigers win and one for beating the accursed Taff! (Sorry dear)

Congrats to Lenny on the record and to Steve for his continued good work with the team .

I'll watch the highlights later, before comment, lest I be cast info forum purgatory!

Cheers all.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Noticeable that Wigglesworth was giving advice (instruction ?) from the sidelines and behind the goal before taking off his subs vest.
Ancient Mariner
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Credit to the whole team again. At half time I stood at the Mattioli end and expressed to some friends as we departed to our seats and them to the Crumbie Stand that something needed to change for us to win: well change it did and though not at our best Gloucester were never in it in the second half. Burns superb as was Weise, Wells, Green,Kelly, Porter,JVP and Wigglesworth.
Sadly Hegarty seems to have forgotten how to kick and Nadalo again couldn’t get into the game and was probably lucky not to get carded for his tackle trying to save their try.
Looking forward to going to Sarries where any points will be great.
Hopefully Kini, Moroni and Cole will be back. Chessum could do with a game too but doubt Eddie will release him: Heyes too might not be released!
Thought the ref was poor for both sides in the first half but then like us suddenly remembered what he was supposed to do.
Well done to all the Gloucester fans who turned up especially as it was a England v Wales at 4:45!
Congratulations to Ben Youngs: so proud of his commitment to us and England.