Gloucester (Home) - Saturday 26th February 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester (Home) - Saturday 26th February 2022 - KO 3-00pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:37 pm Credit to the whole team again. At half time I stood at the Mattioli end and expressed to some friends as we departed to our seats and them to the Crumbie Stand that something needed to change for us to win: well change it did and though not at our best Gloucester were never in it in the second half. Burns superb as was Weise, Wells, Green,Kelly, Porter,JVP and Wigglesworth.
Sadly Hegarty seems to have forgotten how to kick and Nadalo again couldn’t get into the game and was probably lucky not to get carded for his tackle trying to save their try.
Looking forward to going to Sarries where any points will be great.
Hopefully Kini, Moroni and Cole will be back. Chessum could do with a game too but doubt Eddie will release him: Heyes too might not be released!
Thought the ref was poor for both sides in the first half but then like us suddenly remembered what he was supposed to do.
Well done to all the Gloucester fans who turned up especially as it was a England v Wales at 4:45!
Congratulations to Ben Youngs: so proud of his commitment to us and England.
I expect with there being no game next week, those in need of gametime will be released.

I expect certainly Chessum released, likely Heyes, the big questionmark for me is on Ford. Not had many minutes, but also will he risk the injury to him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:49 pm Great win. Glaws we’re good value and the better side in the first half. Haven’t seen our scrum go back like that for a long time

On a separate note, did anyone listen to the Ref mike? Aside from good communication with both sides and control he was actually quite funny. Some of his banter with the players had a few of us giggling like children in places.
He has good banter with the fans when he's running the line, so that doesn't surprise me
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just finished watching the game.. massive 5 points and a hard fought win.

Thought Freddie was outstanding once again and is really stepping up in George's absence. Liked the look of our back row today, big carrying from all 3 and so many good tackles/turnovers.

Thought the officials had a good game. Like Makepeace.. really establishing himself in the Premiership.. Kitt tried hard to find something to rule out most of our tries but to his credit he let them stand. Really really hate it when the 9 thinks it's acceptable to shove his opposite number repeatedly at the scrum... Chapman is one of the worst for it so I absolutely loved Wiese's try :smt005 good to see Makepeace pinging Chapman.. got what he deserved... :smt002 :smt003

Porter's finish.. if you haven't seen it.. make sure you watch the highlights.. outstanding!

Good game, massive 5 points, hope Hanro is ok after his HIA and another masterclass by Freddie.. bring on Sarries :smt038

Beaten Glos home and away now this season which is a great achievement.. What is a Tiger's favourite cheese? Double Gloucester :smt002
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Glos dominated the first half and was concerned about what would happen in the 2nd but we bossed it until the last 5/10
Freddie was so entertaining …well worth the entrance fee
Montoya and Wiese solid as always
I thought Whitcombe met his first serious challenge today and Balmain got the better of him in the scrum but Van Wyk took us up a notch
Heyes was great in the loose and the scrums were a mixed bag until that awesome scrum penalty that let led to the decisive try
Nandolo flattered to deceive today and didn’t get the service he wanted or got…he cut inside many times but to no avail …Man of the match was Freddie …great day out
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:09 pm
Beaten Glos home and away now this season which is a great achievement.. What is a Tiger's favourite cheese? Double Gloucester :smt002
I think red Leicester beats a double Gloucester 😉
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big difference between Thorleys and Liebenbergs trys ,one was a double movement one wasn't.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:09 pm Just finished watching the game.. massive 5 points and a hard fought win.

Thought Freddie was outstanding once again and is really stepping up in George's absence. Liked the look of our back row today, big carrying from all 3 and so many good tackles/turnovers.

Thought the officials had a good game. Like Makepeace.. really establishing himself in the Premiership.. Kitt tried hard to find something to rule out most of our tries but to his credit he let them stand. Really really hate it when the 9 thinks it's acceptable to shove his opposite number repeatedly at the scrum... Chapman is one of the worst for it so I absolutely loved Wiese's try :smt005 good to see Makepeace pinging Chapman.. got what he deserved... :smt002 :smt003

Porter's finish.. if you haven't seen it.. make sure you watch the highlights.. outstanding!

Good game, massive 5 points, hope Hanro is ok after his HIA and another masterclass by Freddie.. bring on Sarries :smt038

How do you watch a full replay of the game?
Thought it would be on premiership rugby tv but can’t find it??
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rob18C wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:09 pm Just finished watching the game.. massive 5 points and a hard fought win.

Full match available on link below

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:33 pm
Rob18C wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Full match available on link below

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/
Thanks!
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Just looking at the reply. What are the views on our problems with the scrum in the first half? Pack weight? Experience? Quality? I would have taken our front for over theirs on paper.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Offside wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:34 pm Just looking at the reply. What are the views on our problems with the scrum in the first half? Pack weight? Experience? Quality? I would have taken our front for over theirs on paper.
Not sure about the one where we got mullered first time around but the last one before half time Whitcombe slipped his bind and had his arm on the ground pretty soon after the engagement.

The difference in the second half was that they changed their front row completely before we had too many scrums and our replacement three were loads better than theirs. Overall, our bench quality was much, much better than theirs.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Really good performance for Tigers, I wasn't expecting to win by that margin or get a TBP against a very solid Gloucester defence.

Burns was outstanding again, he's benefitting from a run in the team and proving a few people wrong (me included) about just how good he still is. Absolutely solid from a game management point of view but also managed to include of few touches of magic for the second week running - I wonder if he's going to be one of those players who has a resurgence at the latter stages of their career when the balance between playing what you see and playing to a game plan really clicks into place. His last 2 performances have been genuinely international class.

Porter's finish was world class. Whoever discovered him and Potter is a bit of a genius, two of the signings of the century. Kelly too.

I've just re-watched the Liebenberg and Thorley tries. To the letter of the law, neither should have been given. You have to "immediately reach out and ground the ball" for it to be a try if you're tackled near the goal line. Double movement is irrelevant, but the second movement has to be immediate and has to be a "reach". Thorley waited a couple of seconds after being tackled before reaching out, so no try. Liebenberg didn't just reach out after being tackled, he used his feet and legs to propel himself forwards, off the ground, to reach the goal line, so no try. The fact that Makepeace has given the same amount of leeway or benefit of doubt in both instances seems fair to me and I thought he had a very good game. I wish scrum halves pushing each other around a scrum would be penalised more.

I imagine Whitcombe will have learnt a lot from his battle with Balmain. From my point of view as a former back, the scrum looked like an absolute mess for most of the game and it's pretty difficult to pinpoint what caused that.

I don't think Nadolo did much wrong, he just wasn't able to have the impact that he often does and we didn't seem able to give him the ball in the right areas very often.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 am Really good performance for Tigers, I wasn't expecting to win by that margin or get a TBP against a very solid Gloucester defence.

Burns was outstanding again, he's benefitting from a run in the team and proving a few people wrong (me included) about just how good he still is. Absolutely solid from a game management point of view but also managed to include of few touches of magic for the second week running - I wonder if he's going to be one of those players who has a resurgence at the latter stages of their career when the balance between playing what you see and playing to a game plan really clicks into place. His last 2 performances have been genuinely international class.

Porter's finish was world class. Whoever discovered him and Potter is a bit of a genius, two of the signings of the century. Kelly too.

I've just re-watched the Liebenberg and Thorley tries. To the letter of the law, neither should have been given. You have to "immediately reach out and ground the ball" for it to be a try if you're tackled near the goal line. Double movement is irrelevant, but the second movement has to be immediate and has to be a "reach". Thorley waited a couple of seconds after being tackled before reaching out, so no try. Liebenberg didn't just reach out after being tackled, he used his feet and legs to propel himself forwards, off the ground, to reach the goal line, so no try. The fact that Makepeace has given the same amount of leeway or benefit of doubt in both instances seems fair to me and I thought he had a very good game. I wish scrum halves pushing each other around a scrum would be penalised more.

I imagine Whitcombe will have learnt a lot from his battle with Balmain. From my point of view as a former back, the scrum looked like an absolute mess for most of the game and it's pretty difficult to pinpoint what caused that.

I don't think Nadolo did much wrong, he just wasn't able to have the impact that he often does and we didn't seem able to give him the ball in the right areas very often.
I haven’t watched it back yet but is a fair assessment although I would mention Montoya who had a storming game (as usual).
A2O
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I thought Hanro was immense on Saturday and agree the back row was very good. Wiese always good and Martin had another excellent game (except for the restarts .. but they all need to work on that!) . His carrying is improving every game and his defence is always superb.

Freddie is getting better every game .. because he is cutting out the errors whilst still trying the full bag of tricks. They don’t all come off but they do keep the opposition defence guessing!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:48 am I haven’t watched it back yet but is a fair assessment although I would mention Montoya who had a storming game (as usual).
mightymouse wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 am I thought Hanro was immense on Saturday
Liebenberg and Montoya are pretty much consistently flawless, it almost becomes boring saying how well they've played! The work they put in has been absolutely critical this season.