Super Rugby Law Changes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Super Rugby Law Changes

Post by baz1664 »

Just seen that one of the law changes for super rugby this season is to have a replacement for a red carded player after 20 minutes, so a red card is now technically just a 20 minute sin bin, who comes up with these rules? Let’s hope this is not incorporated into the northern hemisphere!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Super Rugby Law Changes

Post by Tiglon »

I wouldn't be completely against it. These days a red can be for something accidental, and is 99% of the time equal to forfeiting the match... bit harsh on many occasions.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Wasn't the idea of an orange card for the "accidential red cards" brought up somewhere, where the player is sent off for 20 mins and then a replacement was allowed? I would be for this. "Accidental" or just badly timed red cards nowadays ruin games for me. Cynical and dirty red cards should be the player off for the rest of the game, however, IMHO.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

How about a rainbow pack of cards? For example, blue for bad language, indigo for squint feeds/throws, green for playing in the USA, viole(n)t for fighting?
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Not Laws as such, but we reckon the TV companies should simply use a pre show statement warning the programme might contain bad language ( like they do with films) rather than the constant and feeble " Sorry of you heard something" from the commentary team :smt002 :smt003
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:20 pm Not Laws as such, but we reckon the TV companies should simply use a pre show statement warning the programme might contain bad language ( like they do with films) rather than the constant and feeble " Sorry of you heard something" from the commentary team :smt002 :smt003
Funny when you get that apology during boxing matches,viewers tuning into 2 people punching each other in the head yet the broadcast team have to apologise for bad language 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is the 9 point try being trialled in SR this season?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Could we have a red card for poor refereeing? Dickson would be off in the first minute of every match :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:43 pm Could we have a red card for poor refereeing? Dickson would be off in the first minute of every match :smt003
Yellow, cos he’s not got the guts to make a bold decision!
Semper in excretia
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Not a jock wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:20 pm How about a rainbow pack of cards? For example, blue for bad language, indigo for squint feeds/throws, green for playing in the USA, viole(n)t for fighting?
A few years back at the Ibiza 7's, a pink card was shown when two players got into hanbags, they then had to kiss before resuming play. No handbags at that tournament! True story!!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:54 am Wasn't the idea of an orange card for the "accidential red cards" brought up somewhere, where the player is sent off for 20 mins and then a replacement was allowed? I would be for this. "Accidental" or just badly timed red cards nowadays ruin games for me. Cynical and dirty red cards should be the player off for the rest of the game, however, IMHO.
Problem then is you get into contentious decisions about what warrants a red and what warrants only an orange. Also what would two yellows be, a red or an orange? If red why is two not massively dangerous (or mitigation heavy) tackles worth more punishment than a dangerous but not deemed deliberate tackle? If orange it de-fangs the deterrent for a second bit of try line nonsense...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

Crofty wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:31 pm
Pellsey wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:54 am Wasn't the idea of an orange card for the "accidential red cards" brought up somewhere, where the player is sent off for 20 mins and then a replacement was allowed? I would be for this. "Accidental" or just badly timed red cards nowadays ruin games for me. Cynical and dirty red cards should be the player off for the rest of the game, however, IMHO.
Problem then is you get into contentious decisions about what warrants a red and what warrants only an orange. Also what would two yellows be, a red or an orange? If red why is two not massively dangerous (or mitigation heavy) tackles worth more punishment than a dangerous but not deemed deliberate tackle? If orange it de-fangs the deterrent for a second bit of try line nonsense...
Hmm, I'm generally in support of this idea - the vast majority of red cards now are for "mistiming" and, especially if they happen within the first quarter, the game may as well just be stopped there in 90%+ of cases

My first instinct would be to say that 2 yellows = orange. From what I understand the person receiving the orange card would not be allow to return to the field, so essentially the team is "forced" to make unplanned use one of their substitutes after being down to 14 for 30 minutes (10 for first yellow and a further 20 for the "orange"). I also assume no remaining subs would mean you have to go down to 14.

Referees might even be more inclined to hand out two yellows for cynical play more often if it was this way too - I think subconsciously they currently really do not want to give two yellows unless they don't really have a choice (thinking of Jonny May 2nd yellow for a deliberate knock on a few years back) because the resulting red card often does utterly kill the game

In terms of a "straight orange" I guess the line would need to be drawn along the lines of "plausible deniability", i.e. if the action could have been caused by mistiming, or just poor technique then orange, but a deliberate action (punch, leading with a forearm, kick, etc) would still be red. In sports, when the red mist descends, it's usually a cumulative thing over the duration of the match that explodes at some point - it is the responsibility of the whole team to diffuse these situations and prevent them from boiling over so essentially a permanent "team sanction" is still appropriate IMO
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

My question with this return after 20min but can't be that player. I know it's unlikely but what happens if before that you have made all your tactical substitutions? Are you at 14 for the remainder or can you return a player to the field? (I know it's highly unlikely to make all tactical subs before 60min but it is possible)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Crofty wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:31 pm
For me, the difference between orange and red would be what used to be a red (20 years ago) and the rest should be orange. So cynical and dirty fouls are red, and the new technical fouls are orange. But, I do see what you mean. It does add an extra level of complexity.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

My question with this return after 20min but can't be that player. I know it's unlikely but what happens if before that you have made all your tactical substitutions? Are you at 14 for the remainder
Yes.
Is the 9 point try being trialled in SR this season?
No, that was only trialled in the 2019 (and the curtailed 2020) Global Rapid Rugby tournament established by Western Force's current backer, Andrew Forrest.

However, SR continues to award the try bonus for one side scoring 3 or more tries more than the opposition rather than the NH try bonus for any team that scores 4 tries.

I'm not entirely against the 20 min red card logic. I wouldn't have agreed with it 10 years ago but red cards are awarded far more liberally now, including for things that 10 years ago (rightly or wrongly) would have been a penalty at most!

With the SH red card law in place, Italy would still have had a slim chance against Ireland last weekend for example, rather than no chance after 20 mins as was the case!
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!