Saracens take-over

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Saracens take-over

Post by Old Hob »

A South African consortium led by Francois Pienaar has completed the purchase of Saracens.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60408132
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jacko27

Re: Saracens take-over

Post by Jacko27 »

Not a surprise, I guess, we have known for several months that this announcement was coming although still not sure about my response to the news. On the one hand, indifference, why should we be concerned about ownership-change of one of our opponents but on the other a slightly deeper and more general worry that sports clubs ( like utilities and railway companies) are no longer uk-owned.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jacko27 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:09 pm Not a surprise, I guess, we have known for several months that this announcement was coming although still not sure about my response to the news. On the one hand, indifference, why should we be concerned about ownership-change of one of our opponents but on the other a slightly deeper and more general worry that sports clubs ( like utilities and railway companies) are no longer uk-owned.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the money for Quins come from a Malay or Hong Kong source, called Dolphin or summat?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Didn't know that so it prompted me to have nose around on t'internet. Found an article by someone called John Winter entitled "Who Owns Harlequins". Very briefly he explains that it is two wealthy investment financiers both from overseas, one Australian the other South African who - ironically - made their money from UK Water Privatisation. Duncan Saville ( the Aussie) is a rugby nut, I gather.
Maybe there other EPL Rugby Clubs run with money from overseas.
Does it matter? I dunno! But I wouldn't want us to end up like Premiership Football
PAW4

Post by PAW4 »

"Does it matter? I dunno! But I wouldn't want us to end up like Premiership Football"

I think the round ball analogy does highlight the risk but I suspect the greatest threat is that which the EFL has wrestled with. Look at Derby now and the various questions around the "fit and proper persons test" in recent years. As a Notts County fan, the Munto debacle still hurts (4th level team with Sven as manager, Sol Campbell at centre back and rumours of Beckham, Raul and Carlos coming on short term deals).
Premier Rugby is probably parallel in terms of finance to 2nd or 3rd tier football, but it has grown rapidly in the last 20 years. The more money available, the more risk of dubious interests.

However, this isn't an argument saying "British good, foreign bad", more about a consistent entry vetting and on going evaluation of owners and fiscal governance.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

This is a bit of De Ja Vu… I seem to recall a previous incarnation of South African consortium and Fransoir Piennar involvement.. !
Was that when Ventner came in, and a stack of Boks all paid in Rand or Oxen under the radar or something .. I smell a rat .. or an impala at least!