Brake foot law

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GETHIN EXILE

Brake foot law

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Instead of this tinkering with the scrum due to the way the hooker now twists their body to shield the ball as it is put in what is actually needed is a return to the ball being put into the centre of the scrum and both hookers jumping their feet forward to attempt to hook the ball back. If both hookers were required to attempt to hook the ball then the defending side would not have the advantage of 8 players pushing as the ball was put in and the attacking side wouldn't be guaranteed the ball as so often happens at the moment
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Brake foot law

Post by Rugbygramps »

I don’t think you can force both hookers to hook, though someone once posted on here that was the law, it is taking options away from the defending team
This brake foot law is to stop the hookers placing their heads on their opponents shoulder in order to try and get a power advantage on the engage
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree .. make people out the ball in straight .. if a hooker cannot strike and get his foot back in time to hold the shove then he’s in the wrong job!!
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Under the old laws the art of propping was to be able to hold the hooker in such a position that his studs were touching the grass but his feet were off the ground. A well drilled front row would do this so that the hooker didn't get penalised for "foot up" but was able to quickly strike for the ball. Over time the art of striking against the head has been lost because the defending team felt it was easier to try and prevent the hook by driving forward with all 8 players rather than competing. This has led to the current squint feed at the scrum as the defending side are at a disadvantage.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

From what I can recall from playing in 60's 70's & 80's, the front rows used to bind on first and then crouch, the second rows latched on and the back row slotted in. Both hookers had a chance of hooking the ball but mostly the LH on the feed side got to it first. The few times I had to play at hooker, I just hung on the two props with my feet just off the ground. I could then swing across to challenge for the ball or aim to get your head under the opposite hooker and then drive up. All this crouch, bind, set rubbish is, as far as I am aware, just to make it more confrontational with little concern for the front rows taking the 'hit'.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

In the 60's and 70's in teams I played for the hooker struck for the ball with the foot nearest to the side it was coming in, he basically stopped the ball and the prop following the ball in with his outside leg was actually the one who played the ball back. Even in those days it was common for the side noy putting the ball in to go for an eight man shove.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

From my hooking days on your ball you would hook it back with your right leg, hence the name I think, against the head you would still use your right leg, but deflect it with a straight leg for the tight head to assist, hence the little used term a tight head
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If nothing else we might go back to proper shaped props.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Swinging hookers (if you’ll pardon the expression) we’re all the rage when I started playing, and I’ve been done few times by some old boy fetching the ball out of your second row. However I remember 2 coaching sessions very vividly when I was at school. The first was by the Legendary Fran Cotton, who taught us how to bind and set properly. The second which was actually even more instructive was by the great Welsh blindside Terry Cobner. He showed us how the Losehead had a widespread stance with his right leg quite far back. The hooker had both legs inside the loseheads and virtually sat on his right knee. The strike was with the right foot and fast leaving the opposition hooker and tight head no chance. He also showed how to strike channel one ball and clear the scrum very quickly against bigger heavier packs (OH.. to see one of those these days!!.. I’d pay good money for that!!)Yes of course you came across heavier forwards intent on the 8 man shove and the destructive Tighthead and hooker working in tandem to contort you and shove your head up the proverbial! Welcome to mens rugby sonny!
Take a beating and talk to them later in the bar.. and guess what? they told you how to combat it over a couple of pints … isn’t that what rugby all about .. ?..not all this ridiculous law changing every 5 minutes by people who clearly haven’t a clue.
Actually one of the ways I liked to deal with it was ignore the Tighthead (and hope your loose head would do something to keep him occupied and drive my head as hard as possible into the opposition hookers jaw (going the opposite way from the strike) and then strike with my left foot, but I am left footed so that had a natural feel to me.
After 20 years I converted to Tighthead cos it was more fun inflicting pain on a hooker than having it inflicted on me 🥲
The joys of the front row .. no greater position in no greater sport.. what a way to spend your Saturday afternoon.. weren’t summers boring.. and retirement from the game .. although my knees and back would not agree🤣
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It does put more emphasis on technique.

There has been a tendency for front rows to put both feet back and lock themselves straight, as near to horisontal as they can, to negate the oppsition's shove. (A bit like a door proped from behind). This relies on your opposition front row holding you up or the opposiong forces holding each other up.

That's where the like of Cole show their ability. Retreat a tiny bit, and the long legged opponent either plops flat on their face or is forced to move his feet to support his own weight, and then you can have a proper pushing contest. It take skill and power to go back a little and then drive forward.

Undone by refs who see the long in the leg prop go down and blame the opponent for pulling down, when the real issue was not supporting their own weight.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:10 am Swinging hookers (if you’ll pardon the expression) we’re all the rage when I started playing, and I’ve been done few times by some old boy fetching the ball out of your second row. However I remember 2 coaching sessions very vividly when I was at school. The first was by the Legendary Fran Cotton, who taught us how to bind and set properly. The second which was actually even more instructive was by the great Welsh blindside Terry Cobner. He showed us how the Losehead had a widespread stance with his right leg quite far back. The hooker had both legs inside the loseheads and virtually sat on his right knee. The strike was with the right foot and fast leaving the opposition hooker and tight head no chance. He also showed how to strike channel one ball and clear the scrum very quickly against bigger heavier packs (OH.. to see one of those these days!!.. I’d pay good money for that!!)Yes of course you came across heavier forwards intent on the 8 man shove and the destructive Tighthead and hooker working in tandem to contort you and shove your head up the proverbial! Welcome to mens rugby sonny!
Take a beating and talk to them later in the bar.. and guess what? they told you how to combat it over a couple of pints … isn’t that what rugby all about .. ?..not all this ridiculous law changing every 5 minutes by people who clearly haven’t a clue.
Actually one of the ways I liked to deal with it was ignore the Tighthead (and hope your loose head would do something to keep him occupied and drive my head as hard as possible into the opposition hookers jaw (going the opposite way from the strike) and then strike with my left foot, but I am left footed so that had a natural feel to me.
After 20 years I converted to Tighthead cos it was more fun inflicting pain on a hooker than having it inflicted on me 🥲
The joys of the front row .. no greater position in no greater sport.. what a way to spend your Saturday afternoon.. weren’t summers boring.. and retirement from the game .. although my knees and back would not agree🤣
from my position in the hairdressing salon, it sounds like a homoerotic bath night out. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:08 pm It does put more emphasis on technique.

There has been a tendency for front rows to put both feet back and lock themselves straight, as near to horisontal as they can, to negate the oppsition's shove. (A bit like a door proped from behind). This relies on your opposition front row holding you up or the opposiong forces holding each other up.

That's where the like of Cole show their ability. Retreat a tiny bit, and the long legged opponent either plops flat on their face or is forced to move his feet to support his own weight, and then you can have a proper pushing contest. It take skill and power to go back a little and then drive forward.

Undone by refs who see the long in the leg prop go down and blame the opponent for pulling down, when the real issue was not supporting their own weight.
I thought retreating a little was illegal? Its also dangerous.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Illegal it may be but it is the practical way of dealing with a fat prop!

Not sure retreating itself is illegal - how else can a scrum move? Not maintaining the “strain” can be hard for a ref to spot.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:38 pm Illegal it may be but it is the practical way of dealing with a fat prop!

Not sure retreating itself is illegal - how else can a scrum move? Not maintaining the “strain” can be hard for a ref to spot.
Not taking the hit is a free kick initially I.e. allowing the other pack to hit harder so it looks like their pushing early