Farrell vs Scotland

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Farrell vs Scotland

Post by Cardiff Tig »

(I think I know the answer going from previous threads on here but here goes anyway...)

IMO, we wouldn't have lost against Scotland with Farrell at 12. Farrell would also have led the backline both in defense and attack more in terms of positioning. He would have been a second distributor at 12 to help go wide when it was on, and Slade would have kept his space and line better at 13 than Daly (IMO).

Am I the only one who thought England missed him on Saturday?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Farrell vs Scotland

Post by fentiger »

I would have no problem with him at 12, providing every ball doesn't have to go through him! Unarguable as a very good defender and distributive kicker (washes mouth with soap :smt044 ).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:05 pm (I think I know the answer going from previous threads on here but here goes anyway...)

IMO, we wouldn't have lost against Scotland with Farrell at 12. Farrell would also have led the backline both in defense and attack more in terms of positioning. He would have been a second distributor at 12 to help go wide when it was on, and Slade would have kept his space and line better at 13 than Daly (IMO).

Am I the only one who thought England missed him on Saturday?
yep, you are the only one. What was missed was keeping a winning team on the park.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Probably right, the backs were a mess all game. The pack did alright and enough for the team to win. First choice partnership in Jones’ mind is Farrell/Manu. After that it’s Manu/Slade. With both options not available we simply didn’t score points with all our possession and territory.

Slade/Daly just didn’t work. Daly has hardly played all year. Should’ve gone Slade/Marchant with Malins and Nowell on the wings.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Agree with Nowell. Had to suffer an apoplectic Posh Richard and Father combination when he (Norwell, not Posh Richard.) came on as a sub with about 30s to play.

"Why wasn't he on Earlier?"

"Why wasn't he on from the start!!??"

Harrumph
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:40 pm Probably right, the backs were a mess all game. The pack did alright and enough for the team to win. First choice partnership in Jones’ mind is Farrell/Manu. After that it’s Manu/Slade. With both options not available we simply didn’t score points with all our possession and territory.

Slade/Daly just didn’t work. Daly has hardly played all year. Should’ve gone Slade/Marchant with Malins and Nowell on the wings.
Spot on! I picked exactly that backline in the week leading up
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How many games did we lose last 6N with Farrell at 10 or 12? Let's not start rewriting history here!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Remind me what position we were last 6N? Is history telling me we were 1st with Farrell at 12?

Slade kicked away any overlaps that were developing.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

The problem wasn't the lack of Farrell, the problem was the lack of players on the pitch for the full 80 minutes.

Agree that too much Daly was also a contributing factor as well though.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think England would have won if they'd had Farrell in the 23. Especially if accompanied by Lawes, Launchbury, Kruis, Manu, May, Barbeary and Underhill.

I'm fairly neutral on Farrell. I'd have him in the squad, 100%. Probably in most 23's. Definitely not starting every single match.

England being rubbish in the 6N last season with Farrell at 12 doesn't mean he's rubbish at 12. England finishing 2nd in the RWC 2019 with Farrell at 12 doesn't make Farrell the 2nd best inside centre in the world. It really isn't that simple.

In 2000, England lost to Scotland by twice the margin, with Johnny Wilkinson at 10. Surprisingly, that didn't mean that Johnny Wilkinson was rubbish at 10...
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

maybe with andy farrell in charge instead of eddie !!!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Genuine question, apart from Manu, does England have an international class 12?
Slade is a 13. Lawrence I haven’t seen enough of, Atkinson I don’t think is. Lozowski and Hendrickson are the best I can think of. Thoughts please?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:30 pm Genuine question, apart from Manu, does England have an international class 12?
Slade is a 13. Lawrence I haven’t seen enough of, Atkinson I don’t think is. Lozowski and Hendrickson are the best I can think of. Thoughts please?
Dan Kelly 🤪
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:27 am
Dokie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:30 pm Genuine question, apart from Manu, does England have an international class 12?
Dan Kelly 🤪
Kelly or Ojomoh in a year or two.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

No6_Flanker wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:50 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:27 am
Dan Kelly 🤪
Kelly or Ojomoh in a year or two.
Now though?