Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BengalTiger

Re: Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Post by BengalTiger »

Very happy today, always a pleasure to paddle the neighbours.
I do not understand why a TMO cannot see things that are obvious, the knock on in the build up to their try was a masterclass in trying not to see something, the wrong angle repeatedly, then the correct angle played at double speed and not replayed again, very odd. The Wells incident, I thought Wells caught Slightholm's shirt front and lowered him to the ground, again the angle showing that was not replayed, again just odd behaviour by the TMO.
As always a lot missed for both sides but if they have stopped the game to review something then at least get that right!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Curiously my Saints mate immediately conceded Tigers the better side.
On review of the game footage over breakfast (always a delight when we win, especially over Saints) I was impressed in particular by Kelly whose work rate throughout the game was immense. Carry on like that, and there will be an England recall for yet another of our younger players...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

A lot of reviews on the Wells one, was it yellow, was it not.

Right call or not the ref calls advantage for a late tackle, it's then also adjudged to be a tip tackle. Two things combined to me made it a yellow.

Just like the high tackle on JVP was not a yellow in itself, but the location and minimal cover should have made it so.

Just my opinion.

Personally I thought the officials were ok.

There was only one real decision I disagreed with the ref on and that was no yellow on the high tackle.

The other poor decision for me was the knock on. However the fault on that is the TMO needs to spot the hand in with the chest, from the referee's view I can see why he gave his calls and can see why on the big screen it's not clear and obvious for him, but the TMO is the one who should spot those.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just watched the highlights, views on the yellows, anyone who thinks Wells didn’t lift the Saints players legs past the horizontal has a very different definition of horizontal to me, whether or not he put him down gently.
Ashton , Carley quite clearly says to Ashton that he was offside 3 times in the build up to their try all 5 metres from the line.
Even with Tigers tinted glasses on both yellows all day long.

On the game as a whole, if I’ve missed it I apologise, but I’ve seen no mention of the excellent handling by both forwards and backs in the lead up to Tigers 3 open field trys
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok decided to do a few player ratings

Heagrty 7 good game first prem try, only issue was when he had the kicking tee

Potter 7 solid game drove the kick chase well

Porter 7.5 partnership with him and Kelly is the future there IMO he's a better centre than wing (he's going to be a Moroni type player able to do both well)

Kelly 8.5 another fantastic game for him, says it all!

Nadolo 9 two wonderful tries, could have been 9.5 but one defensive mistake cost a try

Burns 9.5, I don't give out 10s otherwise he may have had a shout of that...

Wigglesworth 8, outplayed a guy being talked about for England, only really one blemish was Mitchell getting away from him on the scrum early doors

Whitcombe 8, solid solid shift, showed some good intelligence and hands for a prop and did his propping well too!

Montoya 9.5, outstanding carrying, breakdown, maul and lineout work, just a world world class operator.

Cole 7.5, solid player, was a huge loss when he came off!

Wells 7.5, his rip on the maul was delicious, a little bit unlucky on the yellow and when not on the pitch it really showed in the scrum

Green 7 was doing the hard yards yet again a big unseen shift

Liebenberg 9 a fantastic captain's performance was everywhere doing everything

Reffell 9 a jackling nightmare for Saints they'll be pinged for holding on to their pillows in their nightmares

Wiese 7.5 more sedate performance from him than his backrow mates but still a huge shift

Clare 6 lineout got a bit shaky after he came on

Leatigaga 5.5 he showed up his weaknesses as a Tighthead in the scrum, may have had an injury

Van Wyk 6 came on late, hard to rate him much either way

Synman 6.5 solid after he came on

Martin 6.5 saw him a load making tackles late, solid cameo

Jvp 6.5 great to see him captain, maybe could have asked with the high tackle if the position on the pitch affected it at all

Scott 6.5 came on and did well

Ashton 6.5 his HIA performance was critical, few good carries and that try saving tackle meant they stayed more than a score behind.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:52 pm Just watched the highlights, views on the yellows, anyone who thinks Wells didn’t lift the Saints players legs past the horizontal has a very different definition of horizontal to me, whether or not he put him down gently.
Ashton , Carley quite clearly says to Ashton that he was offside 3 times in the build up to their try all 5 metres from the line.
I agree they were both worthy of a yellow but I think it’s the fact that Saints gave away 14 penalties including at least 2 or 3 in the red zone in the build up to Hegartys try.. then the high hit on JvP right in front of the line, and a collapsed our maul.. no warning even.. it’s the lack of consistency for me that’s the frustration not the cards we picked up
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:32 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:52 pm Just watched the highlights, views on the yellows, anyone who thinks Wells didn’t lift the Saints players legs past the horizontal has a very different definition of horizontal to me, whether or not he put him down gently.
I agree they were both worthy of a yellow but I think it’s the fact that Saints gave away 14 penalties including at least 2 or 3 in the red zone in the build up to Hegartys try.. then the high hit on JvP right in front of the line, and a collapsed our maul.. no warning even.. it’s the lack of consistency for me that’s the frustration not the cards we picked up
Understood
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the high tackle on TVP had to be a yellow if for no other reason a Try was likely from where it was on the pitch.

Freddie Burns was superb last night as were the pack, Coley may need a rest next week though great first contribution from Ashton try saving tackle
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

One thing....advantage / play stopped when nemzy had a clear run in for the hat trick...what was wrong or did sir foul up?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:19 pm One thing....advantage / play stopped when nemzy had a clear run in for the hat trick...what was wrong or did sir foul up?
he blew the whistle before Wiggy got the ball out the scrum, sloppy play from the 9, free play get the ball out and go for it
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:44 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:19 pm One thing....advantage / play stopped when nemzy had a clear run in for the hat trick...what was wrong or did sir foul up?
he blew the whistle before Wiggy got the ball out the scrum, sloppy play from the 9, free play get the ball out and go for it
At first I thought, "What's Rowntree doing at the back of the scrum anyway?" Then the penny dropped......A second or so, either way and you're not stopping the big fella!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like many fans my wife and I arrived late due to the chaos on the roads caused by the A46 closure but wow, well done a Tigers again.
Strange game again from Saints: played into our hands by a terrible kicking game.
The next 3 games will give us some idea of how good we really are!
Tigers haven’t won at the Rec in ages and they have players returning as well as the fact they gave us a really hard game at Welford Road.
Gloucester have really come good and aren’t affected too much by international call ups and then it’s Sarries!!!
Key to doing well will be keeping players fit: Cole injury a huge worry but surely Jones will let Heyes play next week end: oh second thoughts when has Eddie ever done us a favour!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Freddie Burns, MOM, very well deserved, I am not a lover BUT last night went someway to changing my mind. If he could repeat this sort of play and not blow hot and cold (aka Finn Russell) I could become a fan, but at the moment the jury is out. Well done Freddie for last night.

Ashton showed he has the spirit, his try saving tackle was amazing, but he must learn to get back, or stay, onside.

I have not watched recording yet, bit sluggish today, very much enjoyed apre-match last night with daughter's new Saint's supporting boy friend :smt005 !!!!!!! :smt030
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:53 pm Freddie Burns, MOM, very well deserved, I am not a lover BUT last night went someway to changing my mind. If he could repeat this sort of play and not blow hot and cold (aka Finn Russell) I could become a fan, but at the moment the jury is out. Well done Freddie for last night.

Ashton showed he has the spirit, his try saving tackle was amazing, but he must learn to get back, or stay, onside.

I have not watched recording yet, bit sluggish today, very much enjoyed apre-match last night with daughter's new Saint's supporting boy friend :smt005 !!!!!!! :smt030
I do agree re Burns but I also think he is very much a confidence player and this run of games, and he has improved in each one, will only help, and would expect him to continue at the rec where he does have a couple of demons to excise
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:53 pm I have not watched recording yet, bit sluggish today, very much enjoyed apre-match last night with daughter's new Saint's supporting boy friend :smt005 !!!!!!! :smt030
I hope you made it enjoyable for him