Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Post by Scott1 »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 am Especially when the high tackle in front of the line was only deemed a penalty!!
Ridiculous call that! 100% a yellow that one
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day...

4 tries, only one directly from a rolling maul, and at least the same number of very near misses :smt003 :smt004
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:36 am Oh what a beautiful morning,
Oh what a beautiful day...

4 tries, only one directly from a rolling maul, and at least the same number of very near misses :smt003 :smt004
Morning Cagey.......the feeling is mutual.....if dimmed a little by Remy!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:08 am Great performance by all.
Did anyone else notice Leatigaga appeared struggling with a shoulder injury not long after coming on?
Well put in context he did go down clutching his shoulder immediately after conceding his second scrum penalty in a row after coming on. Seemingly played on after with no problems.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Tip tackle was a harsh call. TMO said he dropped him, which was not the case from the replay. It was a bit late but penalty would be most in my view. High tackle on JVP by the line was low speed but cynical and I think if you theoretically remove the player that infringed from the pitch JVP scores as the cover only gets round because the high tacklers slows JVP down. I would yellow not for safety but for professional foul preventing a try.
Ashton yellow was more about being over eager and not taking a step back to ensure you are onside. That will come with game time and a word or two from Sir Kev. I was more worried he only wanted to score his record winning tries and would not care about the result so I am pleased he dis the score saving tackle and got a yellow for defending rather than hair pulling :smt044
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I thought Wells was a yellow all day long, it looked better because Sleightholme (I think) instinctively grabbed Wells shirt as he fell which prevented him landing on his neck/head.

I had no complaints with that or Ashtons in isolation. JVP’s was 50/50 with the cover so again no real complaints from me after replays but it looked bad at the time.

The problem is that viewed in context not isolation, Saints were penalised 14 times or whatever without so much of a word of caution.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:07 am The problem is that viewed in context not isolation, Saints were penalised 14 times or whatever without so much of a word of caution.
Saints were penalised but not constantly in the red zone so no caution given.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:09 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:07 am The problem is that viewed in context not isolation, Saints were penalised 14 times or whatever without so much of a word of caution.
Saints were penalised but not constantly in the red zone so no caution given.
Other refs warn for accumulation of pens - at one point I think they conceded 5-6 in a row and in a short period of time which often results in a warning at least.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Offside wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:01 am Tip tackle was a harsh call. TMO said he dropped him, which was not the case from the replay. It was a bit late but penalty would be most in my view. High tackle on JVP by the line was low speed but cynical and I think if you theoretically remove the player that infringed from the pitch JVP scores as the cover only gets round because the high tacklers slows JVP down. I would yellow not for safety but for professional foul preventing a try.
Ashton yellow was more about being over eager and not taking a step back to ensure you are onside. That will come with game time and a word or two from Sir Kev. I was more worried he only wanted to score his record winning tries and would not care about the result so I am pleased he dis the score saving tackle and got a yellow for defending rather than hair pulling :smt044
Wouldn’t say it was a tip tackle tbh,didn’t go above the horizontal. At most you could argue that Wells had a duty of care to make sure the player landed correctly but still a penalty at most. Very harsh yellow ,Tigers player or not.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Saints were getting pinged for not releasing on their own ball, offside, not rolling away, in at the side but very few of these were in the red zone and were on their own ball.
Had Tigers been in possession and putting pressure on Saints and Saints constantly were pinged I could understand the team warning (cynical play).
I thought that the team of officials had a reasonable game and worked well together.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

57 minutes in Burns kick through and break ,when Porter picked it up and went on his own it looked a massive swinging arm to his head. Anyone else think so or was it just the camera angle?

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... s-round-16

Starts 4 minutes in
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:14 am Saints were getting pinged for not releasing on their own ball, offside, not rolling away, in at the side but very few of these were in the red zone and were on their own ball.
Had Tigers been in possession and putting pressure on Saints and Saints constantly were pinged I could understand the team warning (cynical play).
I thought that the team of officials had a reasonable game and worked well together.
Red zone or not a warning should,and has been given many,many times,for accumulation of consecutive penalties. Regardless of where they are on the pitch! We can’t excuse/ignore consistent infringements just because of where they are.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I thought the Wells card was harsh too, Wells technique was pretty much textbook, bent at the knees, made contact to the stomach area and wrapped the arms. For some reason the Saints player's feet flew up in the air and they both tried to grab on to each other to break the fall.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

In the vast majority of the games I watch, supporters go on to bemoan the decisions made by the officials. I’m not saying it doesn’t need improving, I certainly disagreed with several decisions last night:
- one of their tries came from a knock on, most of us on here saw it on the reply not sure why TMO missed it
- high tackle on JVP I thought was a yellow and given I think he would have probably scored should have been a penalty try
- leading up to the JVP high tackle, Freddie chipped through and I’m pretty sure knocked it on before it got to JVP
- I think it was Potter who got penalised for a tackle in the air, yet he was deliberately blocked and he himself was tackled in the air which prevented him getting to the ball

Many others too.

Point is, if this is the focus during and after the game it deflects from what we do as a club. I don’t see the quality of the officiating changing any time soon sadly.

My view is that I am grateful for the 5 points and zero to Saints. Great to see Nemani back and Freddie playing a blinder. More important game time for Whitcombe. Listening to some of the players speak post match they were all clearly thrilled with the crowd and atmosphere at the ground and also the likes of Ashton and Green mentioning what a fantastic environment it was at the club. Lots of positives, as the coaches say also lots to work on - need to look at that scrum and line out in the second half.

Anyway, Barf next ……
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Just about able to talk today - great night.

Freddie - absolute vintage Freddie performance, so pleasing to see the control and the judgement last night given the 'brain farts' of last week as he called it. I was very worried at the HIA time as the game was finely poised and it was where we suffered last week - but you could see the team learning from last week in that regard.

Nemzy, great to see back - great to see the appetite - the guy was immense but definitely struggling, not so much fitness, but I just think general tiredness after a good period out - Kelly needed to adapt and seemed to struggle to drift last night - which is usually when Saints got round the sides.

I'd like to call out Montoya, what a performance, he was everywhere and so influential in closing down the breakdown speed on Saints (which was a planned tactic given the speed outside). Watch the game looking for him and you will see just how much he was involved last night.

One last call out worth saying - Wiese. Arguably one of the most improved players in terms of behavior in our season - staying clean, avoiding the stupid and delivering. Can't ask for more.