Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Post by baz1664 »

Burns last night was outstanding, decision making was spot, ran the show and controlled the game!!

Kelly is surely close to an England call up, another fantastic display, he is the inform centre for England and EJ can’t Ignore that considering the options we have.

Reffell also different gravy, if he does go at the end of the season I will be gutted, he is a shoo-in for the wales team, will easily be. 50+ cap international!!

Whitcombe another talent who looks like a seasoned pro at such a young age!!

Tigers looked good last night, not amazing but bagging a comfortable win, 5 more points in the bag!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Montoya currently the world's best hooker?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:58 am Montoya currently the world's best hooker?
Not far off!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 am Burns last night was outstanding, decision making was spot, ran the show and controlled the game!!

Kelly is surely close to an England call up, another fantastic display, he is the inform centre for England and EJ can’t Ignore that considering the options we have.

Reffell also different gravy, if he does go at the end of the season I will be gutted, he is a shoo-in for the wales team, will easily be. 50+ cap international!!

Tigers looked good last night, not amazing but bagging a comfortable win, 5 more points in the bag!!
Reffell is an excellent player when in a balanced back row where he can go and do what he is best at which he can with Wiese and Liebenberg. I suppose a comparison would be Hill Back and Dayglo.

As for a shoe in for the welsh team, he would be 3rd choice at best at present, and all the others bring the one thing he is lacking physicality, while also possessing his skills over the ball.
Don’t know where you get your 50 caps from, if he does go to Wales he will be lucky to get a handful of caps, and don’t be surprised if he ends with none
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:58 am Montoya currently the world's best hooker?
Can’t think of a better one tbh
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Firstly on Ashton: did his last early exit not conincide with the arrival of Mr S Diamond? Who had possibly been involved in his previous early exit? Just a thought.. I can’t imagine SD being the easiest bloke to get on with and once you’re on his wrong side you’re done (similar in temperament to Cockers!)
Regarding his game .. great HIA cover segment .. some decent carries into traffic and an outstanding try saving tackle at a crucial time during which Hegs was leaving 5 points out on the pitch!
As for the rest of them ..
Freddie: best game since his return by far .. that’s why we love him at WR .. even though he can be a frustrating devil at times.
Hanro: he is the man and I would give him skippers role next year .. no question.
Montoya: outstanding.. best hooker we’ve seen down here for years .. world class what a warrior.
Weisse: it’s all been said before .. great signing
Green and Wells : they go together like bacon and eggs .. absolute unsung heroes.. just damn good hard club men.
Jimmy Whit. Solid solid prospect.. you would not know he was just a kid
Old man Cole: is a very tough soul .. gets better and better.. please please please let him be fit
Reffs:: great game
All the backs .. good games .. I love Potts and Ports .. Nadola what a big beastie that boy is .. truely terrifying. They marked him with a centre on the wing, so he strolled through the big hole in the middle.. TWICE!! .. it’s like having WMD on your side!

One downside.. Lady Ga Ga I’m afraid is not cutting it in Tight or loose .. doesn’t look fit to me and is worse at Tight head than loose head .. saints made a big error in subbing their starting loosehead .. at that point Lady G was a penalty machine. Waller looked cross when he came off and I don’t blame him. I think we possibly need to look for a third string Tighthead or try to fast track Hurd and hope he is as good as Whitcome
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Great performance by all.
Did anyone else notice Leatigaga appeared struggling with a shoulder injury not long after coming on?
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:00 am
baz1664 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:53 am Burns last night was outstanding, decision making was spot, ran the show and controlled the game!!

Reffell is an excellent player when in a balanced back row where he can go and do what he is best at which he can with Wiese and Liebenberg. I suppose a comparison would be Hill Back and Dayglo.

As for a shoe in for the welsh team, he would be 3rd choice at best at present, and all the others bring the one thing he is lacking physicality, while also possessing his skills over the ball.
Don’t know where you get your 50 caps from, if he does go to Wales he will be lucky to get a handful of caps, and don’t be surprised if he ends with none
Physicality isn’t form, Wales were smashed last week by Ireland, if Reffell is ignored by Wales then it is a waste of a class act, every game you watch he is one of the top performers!! I think Reffell is one of the best uncapped 7’s in the world. I hope Tigers go all out to keep him but he wants international caps, the Welsh system is a joke!!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:40 am
DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm Montoya, Whitcombe, Reffell, Wiese, Hanro, Wigg, Burns, Kelly, Nadolo all superb tonight

Others will get the plaudits and rightly so but what a difference Hanro Liebenberg makes to us across all aspects of the game.

Is it going too far to say he reminds me of Richard Hill?

Most importantly he’s signed up for another few years to come!
100% agree with this and an excellent analogy with Hill. Unsure of the residency qualification rules these days but you would imagine England will be asking the question once he has qualified
Let’s hope he’s not interested in playing for England
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Stream was poor last night but have rewatched it again. Would anyway care to explain why Wells got a yellow? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Supposed tip tackle .. technically I guess beyond the horizontal but I thought he put him down rather gently to be honest
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:08 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:00 am

Physicality isn’t form, Wales were smashed last week by Ireland, if Reffell is ignored by Wales then it is a waste of a class act, every game you watch he is one of the top performers!! I think Reffell is one of the best uncapped 7’s in the world. I hope Tigers go all out to keep him but he wants international caps, the Welsh system is a joke!!
Agree to disagree
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mightymouse wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 am Supposed tip tackle .. technically I guess beyond the horizontal but I thought he put him down rather gently to be honest
Looked completely flat to me,penalty at most.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:17 am
mightymouse wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:16 am Supposed tip tackle .. technically I guess beyond the horizontal but I thought he put him down rather gently to be honest
Looked completely flat to me,penalty at most.
Was another game of odd decisions by the officials!!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Especially when the high tackle in front of the line was only deemed a penalty!!