Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Post by mol2 »

How was it not a yellow for the high tackle in the red zone stopping a potential try, yet a yellow for being offside?

Again no more or less dangerous than the lift by Wells.

Consistency not obvious.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mol2 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:23 pm How was it not a yellow for the high tackle in the red zone stopping a potential try, yet a yellow for being offside?

Again no more or less dangerous than the lift by Wells.

Consistency not obvious.
The yellow for Ashton was for three offside offences in the same passage of play, with Saints playing with the advantage.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Looked like Cole hurt his ankle. Hopefully a few days rest and he’ll be fine.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Thought Wigglesworth was quality from 9, we know he’s great at controlling a game but he was also very mobile. Upped the tempo when needed. Shrewd signing by Borthwick.

Ashton’s tackle was also crucial. If Saints had scored then, it would’ve been a different game. To think some people questioned his defence :smt004
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:53 pm Thought Wigglesworth was quality from 9, we know he’s great at controlling a game but he was also very mobile. Upped the tempo when needed. Shrewd signing by Borthwick.

Ashton’s tackle was also crucial. If Saints had scored then, it would’ve been a different game. To think some people questioned his defence :smt004
And those people were still right to,regardless of this one game. But what an important tackle,props to Chris,that was a huge turning point
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Rob18C wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 pm Finally I can tell that a lot of people will disagree but i actually thought the ref was okay tonight. Was very efficient with the TMO, and yes saints should have had at least a warning just for the number of penalties but they didn’t concede a lot in dangerous positions, except the jvp high tackle which was not dangerous and only a seat belt tackle so can understand a penalty only. Also, if Ashton was offside 3 times in a row, they I would expect a yellow despite discipline being pretty good until that period.
I agree and the Saints fans thought the officiating was good also.

But it seems to me the officials cop it from some quarters no matter what.

As for the Tigers performance. Top draw. Will be nice to be in the play offs again and wouldn't a home semi with a full MWWR be fantastic after all our laws on the pitch and then the pandemic.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ashton did well in the circumstances. Brilliant try saving tackle at an important point with his first involvement after how long away from first team rugby? Looked sharp and hungry running back kicks.

OK got a yellow card but that was a team card as much as anything and he showed a real desire to put in the defensive work on his own line. Not afraid to get stuck in.

Looks in top shape and likely to be a very smart signing.

The fact that he hasn't played much for the last couple of years is as much a failure of those clubs as it is a reflection on his personality. When you're a leader it's your job to get the best out of the talented people in your team, and his last couple of head coaches failed with him. My money is on Borthwick to succeed.

Good first signs IMO.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Not sure exactly happened in his sudden exits from previous clubs, but if we can avoid anything dramatic, his real value may be in what he can pass on to the likes of Potter, Porter and Steward.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:44 am Not sure exactly happened in his sudden exits from previous clubs, but if we can avoid anything dramatic, his real value may be in what he can pass on to the likes of Potter, Porter and Steward.
+1
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:26 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:21 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:18 pm

Great try saving tackle. He did well in the HIA period. Bit unfortunate with the card.
Agreed. Kept us in the game during a tight period with a great tackle then was on the wrong end of Carleys desperation to sin bin us once again. Not the worst outing for me
The point I was trying to make was that it’s not ideal when you are a well known ex-Saints player to get get carded at a point when victory was still not assured. Agree about the HIA period but amused by the Saints fan next to me thanking him when he went off for the card
Saints needed 3 scores in last 10 minutes so while victory wasn’t assured it was pretty much there
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:26 am Ashton did well in the circumstances. Brilliant try saving tackle at an important point with his first involvement after how long away from first team rugby? Looked sharp and hungry running back kicks.

OK got a yellow card but that was a team card as much as anything and he showed a real desire to put in the defensive work on his own line. Not afraid to get stuck in.

Looks in top shape and likely to be a very smart signing.

The fact that he hasn't played much for the last couple of years is as much a failure of those clubs as it is a reflection on his personality. When you're a leader it's your job to get the best out of the talented people in your team, and his last couple of head coaches failed with him. My money is on Borthwick to succeed.

Good first signs IMO.
+1 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

Ash spoke well after the game too. Seems to really want to knuckle down and do a good job. I never liked him in the past, but to be honest I'm glad he's here I think. Work hard and you'll win people over Ash.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm Montoya, Whitcombe, Reffell, Wiese, Hanro, Wigg, Burns, Kelly, Nadolo all superb tonight

Others will get the plaudits and rightly so but what a difference Hanro Liebenberg makes to us across all aspects of the game.

Is it going too far to say he reminds me of Richard Hill?

Most importantly he’s signed up for another few years to come!
100% agree with this and an excellent analogy with Hill. Unsure of the residency qualification rules these days but you would imagine England will be asking the question once he has qualified
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Apparently it was March 2020 when Ashton played his last premiership game so massive credit to him for keeping in such great shape since that allowed him to make that great save and he was looking for work off his wing. If Saints had scored I think it would have been a much closer outcome after Wells mindless tackle yellow card as they were getting behind us by turning Nandolo and injecting some serious gas. We did brilliantly to close their backs down in the second half and it was great to get the LBP. Thought our new player Julienne Montodger was superb and Wiese put in a massive shift. Everything Freddie did was golden and came off a very thin line between magic and disaster. Special mention for Dan Kelly who was imperious if sadly we lose Moroni we must keep Dan. Just as well we scored the 4 tries otherwise it would have been a waste of the fireworks :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

What a performance from Montoya. Immense in the tight and loose, he just get better and better. A real no nonsense player just gets on with it. Hard as nails, great over the ball, try scorer….he’s going to be key in the run in.