Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Saints - Fri 11th Feb 22 at 1945

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:10 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm Agreed. It’s a pretty strong Saints’ side but we have a very good side out too.
Saints won’t need any firing up as rightly said.
I, like many fans, was at Franklin’s and Ford and Youngs were in great Form backed up by Weise, Staden( until half time) and most of the pack then Kini and JVP came on and played superbly. On the day we had the rub of the green but we also varied the game we played.
Saints will score tries against us and they have, I think, won 4 out of the last 5 games at our ground.
Play like we did v Sale, Worcester and Wasps and we will get beaten.
Players will know this is a massive derby but even more so especially as it’s Sarries v Quins and Exeter v Gloucester.
Hoping we, the Tigers’ fans get behind the team for the whole match.
I agree, Saints will be keen to win this, they don't have anyone out, I think, we have quite a few including Ford, Youngs and Genge and I think Saints should have scored at least 2, if not 3 more tries last time, if their players had passed the ball out instead of being white line crazy. We also scored an interception and also a charge down tries to flatter our score near the end. We must keep ball away from Skosan, hope that's not Ashton's job. I think will just prevail, tight one this!
Saints without Biggar, Lawes, Freeman, Ludlam, Moon, Naiyaravoro to name but a few
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Pellsey wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:40 am
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:38 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:58 am If Saumaki could only tackle like he attacks he would be a definate starter. I suspect that is the only reason Borthwick has been careful with the games he played in.
I suspect he's considered as a bit of a project player. He's an awesome finisher, no one that big should be so quick ball in hand. If anything we need to find more opportunities to put the ball into his hands.

I guess the kick chase game and positioning was a bit looser over in Japan so those areas of his game aren't as sharp. He's improving but it'll obviously take a while to catch up with Nadolo and Kini who have played in some stellar teams. I reckon Sinfield will sort him out.
According to the Tigers' team page, he is going to be 30 next month, so he is no spring chicken, and I think a little old for a project. I agree though, if he can polish up certain areas, with his finishing, he could be a really useful player. As a winger, he is IMHO past his prime in terms of age. The question is, therefore, how quickly can he improve before he loses his speed etc?!
Speed isn't necessarily lost through age it's often to an accumulation of injuries. Johnny May for instance is still absolutely rapid despite playing in a physically attritional league and international rugby for about a decade. Saumaki has been playing in Japan for an extended period, a league which has been noted to be less physically demanding and more high tempo and I don't believe he's had any nasty injuries. As such there's no reason he can't play for another five years and adapt to this league this season before becoming an increasing force next season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

When was the last time a Tigers 23 had two former saints players in it for the East Midlands derby?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
HandOfBack
Tiger Cub

Post by HandOfBack »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:38 am When was the last time a Tigers 23 had two former saints players in it for the East Midlands derby?
3 if I am not mistaken?
Ashton
Van Wyk
Clare?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

HandOfBack wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:59 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:38 am When was the last time a Tigers 23 had two former saints players in it for the East Midlands derby?
3 if I am not mistaken?
Ashton
Van Wyk
Clare?
True, I'd forgotten about Clare's past...
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:22 am
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:38 pm

I suspect he's considered as a bit of a project player. He's an awesome finisher, no one that big should be so quick ball in hand. If anything we need to find more opportunities to put the ball into his hands.

I guess the kick chase game and positioning was a bit looser over in Japan so those areas of his game aren't as sharp. He's improving but it'll obviously take a while to catch up with Nadolo and Kini who have played in some stellar teams. I reckon Sinfield will sort him out.
According to the Tigers' team page, he is going to be 30 next month, so he is no spring chicken, and I think a little old for a project. I agree though, if he can polish up certain areas, with his finishing, he could be a really useful player. As a winger, he is IMHO past his prime in terms of age. The question is, therefore, how quickly can he improve before he loses his speed etc?!
Speed isn't necessarily lost through age it's often to an accumulation of injuries. Johnny May for instance is still absolutely rapid despite playing in a physically attritional league and international rugby for about a decade. Saumaki has been playing in Japan for an extended period, a league which has been noted to be less physically demanding and more high tempo and I don't believe he's had any nasty injuries. As such there's no reason he can't play for another five years and adapt to this league this season before becoming an increasing force next season.
That is a good point, Sam. Thanks!

Let's hope he improves fast and can play for a few more years!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 am

Hopefully another late bloomer like Goneva - didn't he come to us aged about 28, having never played top flight rugby before? Went on well into his 30's, probably helped by not having smashed his body to bits all through his 20's.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Sorry missing something, when was the last time we had a saints player?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:48 am
Pellsey wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 am

Hopefully another late bloomer like Goneva - didn't he come to us aged about 28, having never played top flight rugby before? Went on well into his 30's, probably helped by not having smashed his body to bits all through his 20's.
Goneva started playing 7s in 2007 and then Union in the Championship for Rotherham around the same time.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

teds wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:34 pm
Sorry missing something, when was the last time we had a saints player?
Clare (who I forgot had been a Saints player), Van Wyk & Ashton are all in our match 23, all of whom have represented Saints in the past. Not too many players have represented both clubs, so I think having 3 of them in one match squad is probably quite rare.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Just need to remember who they play for now :smt040
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Noggs wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:48 pm Just need to remember who they play for now :smt040
They've seen the light :smt003
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Haven't we all :smt031
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:52 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:10 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:22 pm Agreed. It’s a pretty strong Saints’ side but we have a very good side out too.
Saints won’t need any firing up as rightly said.
I, like many fans, was at Franklin’s and Ford and Youngs were in great Form backed up by Weise, Staden( until half time) and most of the pack then Kini and JVP came on and played superbly. On the day we had the rub of the green but we also varied the game we played.
Saints will score tries against us and they have, I think, won 4 out of the last 5 games at our ground.
Play like we did v Sale, Worcester and Wasps and we will get beaten.
Players will know this is a massive derby but even more so especially as it’s Sarries v Quins and Exeter v Gloucester.
Hoping we, the Tigers’ fans get behind the team for the whole match.
I agree, Saints will be keen to win this, they don't have anyone out, I think, we have quite a few including Ford, Youngs and Genge and I think Saints should have scored at least 2, if not 3 more tries last time, if their players had passed the ball out instead of being white line crazy. We also scored an interception and also a charge down tries to flatter our score near the end. We must keep ball away from Skosan, hope that's not Ashton's job. I think will just prevail, tight one this!
Saints without Biggar, Lawes, Freeman, Ludlam, Moon, Naiyaravoro to name but a few
Oops, I had forgotten all of those, old age doesn't help. :smt004
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Interesting to see how Ashton goes tonight.. hope he integrates well with the side and isn’t looking for personal glory.. imagine SB and KS will get the best out of him
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!