TMO (again!!!)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

TMO (again!!!)

Post by northerntiger »

Something I’ve noticed recently. Ref gives the try, then the TMO, presumably not asked, checks it. You hear a quick ‘all ok mate’. Or something is noticed (Steward v Wasps) and the try is chalked off, often for something that would never be flagged up in normal play. To my mind, TMO should keep out, unless asked or if there is serious foul play.
Thoughts anyone?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: TMO (again!!!)

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do get your point, but I think they are asked to check if anything was missed in the build up as a matter of course, you will often here an all clear on the feed, and they do operate on a 7 second delay I believe.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Seems that all tries are checked in the background...if there is any doubt it is reviewed with the ref.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

To my mind it's a good thing, a super quick check makes sure nothing has been missed and you say all good... OR say we need to double check this and have a review, in which case they stop the conversion and decide if it's enough to overrule onfield try.

I'd rather if a try is awarded that the right call be made.

Let's also remember why we got to this point. We used to have all try's no matter how blindingly obvious referred to TMO, now the ref makes a call (helping the game flow) knowing that a quick background check while the kicker sets up the conversion will spare any blushes. So IF we stop these background checks we'll be back to ref won't make any try decisions without sending it to the TMO. This system gives us the same results as we'd have with the added fact that we get to a decision faster.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

So long as there is a consistent application of the use of TMO it’s fine as long as not too much time is wasted.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Try for Tigers checked in background by Christophe Ridley....no issues....lead 5-0
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk