Drinking culture at stadiums

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Drinking culture at stadiums

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Was just reading the below in relation to the drinking in stadiums and drunkenness.
There has always been a drinking culture within rugby, either if playing or watching and considered the norm.
I wonder what has changed to cause this to be an issue now?. I know I am guilty at times of standing on the Crumbie and having to go to the toilet during the game as I have had a few pints before the game and broken the seal.
There has been numerous topics and comments on this very forum about people having to get up every two minutes to let someone get passed to got to the toilet or bar.

Not really sure what the answer is or if it that much of a club issue or more an international day trippers issue?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60229570
There is never any points for 2nd place...
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Drinking culture at stadiums

Post by GB72 »

I think it is a bit of both but I have stopped even trying to get international tickets anymore. My experience at Twickenham was far too many treating it as a bar that happens to have a game of rugby going on in the middle of it and the grounds have promoted this from pre match events to bars open from early before to long after the final whistle has blown.

What differs from 10 or 20 years ago is that rugby is being promoted as a family sport to watch and that is just not compatable with the culture that exists.

Some of the examples from the millenium stadium from the Autumn internationals were pretty awful including someone vomiting on a child.

Rugby does not suffer so much in terms of violence etc but just unpleasant drunken behaviour. It has, to a certain extent, always been there but it is not necessarily compatible with modern sensibilities.
Last edited by GB72 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

There has always been bad behaviour at certain grounds and times. Just listen to Max Boyce's unfunny accounts of unpleasantness passed off as humour. In the past, generally, I have found rugby supporters to be the amiable sort of drunk rather than the unpleasant sort. I don't know if it's changing: society in general seems more aggressive and unpleasant.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Going to watch a game has always been about the day for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Unfortunately our new seat neighbours love their beer more than watching the game. We are sick to the back teeth of having to get up and down to let them get their liquid fuel, then eturn carrying it and then again to physically dispose of it. :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

I must admit I struggle in general with the drinking culture at sporting events. I like to watch a match and I like to go out for a drink but not at a match- I'd rather watch the game. Thats just my personal choice. However having been to many cricket and rugby matches (at Twickenham) the games have been spoilt by the constant interruptions to go to the loo/ bar. At Edgbaston they now have a family stand where there is usually no or very little alcohol. I don't see why Twickenham can't do the same then those that want to drink can do so without interrupting those that don't. Luckily where we sit we usually don't have a problem at WR- just once this season with a group of drinkers who were constantly up and down. I go and watch athletics too and you never see anyone drink there- different culture I suppose.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally at a game I'll try and get 2 pints for the game prior to kickoff and nip to the loo at halftime, can't stand eternally getting up and down. Pint each half works for me...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:31 pm Personally at a game I'll try and get 2 pints for the game prior to kickoff and nip to the loo at halftime, can't stand eternally getting up and down. Pint each half works for me...
Same here but I'll get a 2 pint pot pre game and one at HT ,cant understand why folk don't do that. No need to get up then. If you need more than 4 pints during a game of rugby somethings wrong 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The 2 wost examples I can remember are one at Twickenham where a gang of idiots was sitting behind us, no clue about the game, how many points you got for a try when one of them got up for more beer, and on his return in the 28th min of the 1st half, he commented that he hadn't missed much as the game was only 12 mins old - it was a countdown clock. The other was in France and the group was getting up every 10 mins to get their 5€ bottles from the bar and at the end were bragging how many they had drunk during the game,(double figures I would guess), couldn't resist telling them that they had been drinking non-alcoholic beer all game as that was the only beer on sale.
Hehehehehehehehe
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

May be it is time to have some areas where you are not allowed to come back in with drinks during the game only at beginning and half time and other areas where you can get up and down as you like. I drive and don’t drink to most games but did have a pint of John Smith at Sale, which just went to confirm my drinking habits of waiting and getting decent beers when I get home. :smt044
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:44 pm The 2 wost examples I can remember are one at Twickenham where a gang of idiots was sitting behind us, no clue about the game, how many points you got for a try when one of them got up for more beer, and on his return in the 28th min of the 1st half, he commented that he hadn't missed much as the game was only 12 mins old - it was a countdown clock. The other was in France and the group was getting up every 10 mins to get their 5€ bottles from the bar and at the end were bragging how many they had drunk during the game,(double figures I would guess), couldn't resist telling them that they had been drinking non-alcoholic beer all game as that was the only beer on sale.
😂😂😂
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Offside wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:47 pm May be it is time to have some areas where you are not allowed to come back in with drinks during the game only at beginning and half time and other areas where you can get up and down as you like. I drive and don’t drink to most games but did have a pint of John Smith at Sale, which just went to confirm my drinking habits of waiting and getting decent beers when I get home. :smt044
I have always driven and not drank at a game at WR. At my local club, the beer is XXXXX :smt037 so temptation doesn't rear its head. The last time I drank at a match was probably watching Nottingham in the 90s when i could walk to the ground in Beeston. I stand with people who drink and, unlike in the seats, there is little problem. Twickenham is another story, alas.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:32 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:31 pm Personally at a game I'll try and get 2 pints for the game prior to kickoff and nip to the loo at halftime, can't stand eternally getting up and down. Pint each half works for me...
Same here but I'll get a 2 pint pot pre game and one at HT ,cant understand why folk don't do that. No need to get up then. If you need more than 4 pints during a game of rugby somethings wrong 😂
Depends on whether Dickson is reffing :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:27 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:32 pm
Depends on whether Dickson is reffing :smt003
In that case, alcohol might not be strong enough....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:06 pm
Offside wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:47 pm May be it is time to have some areas where you are not allowed to come back in with drinks during the game only at beginning and half time and other areas where you can get up and down as you like. I drive and don’t drink to most games but did have a pint of John Smith at Sale, which just went to confirm my drinking habits of waiting and getting decent beers when I get home. :smt044
I have always driven and not drank at a game at WR. At my local club, the beer is XXXXX :smt037 so temptation doesn't rear its head. The last time I drank at a match was probably watching Nottingham in the 90s when i could walk to the ground in Beeston. I stand with people who drink and, unlike in the seats, there is little problem. Twickenham is another story, alas.
The only issues that we have had (JG and I stand in and around the same area with the same group of friends) was two seasons ago when we had Saints at home and there was a guy who was there with his lad in his early teens. The dad was absolutely plastered and was coming out with all sorts of vile stuff - predominantly against women. This continued after the game and on the way back to the cars where he threatened to chin me for telling him to keep his opinions to himself. He was ushered away by other Saints fans who apologised for his actions. What his lad must have thought I have no idea. Far from an ideal example to set - regardless of the family circumstances.