Worcester @ Home - 05th February 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Worcester @ Home - 05th February 2022

Post by physiodan »

Just watching the highlights and although probably not deliberate I am disappointed in the commentator labelling Saumaki as “the one man Tongan tidal wave”

Poor taste based on recent history.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

physiodan wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:19 pm Just watching the highlights and although probably not deliberate I am disappointed in the commentator labelling Saumaki as “the one man Tongan tidal wave”

You can't expect someone who has to talk excessively for a living to engage his brain before his mouth surely.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

TigerReggie wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:26 pm
physiodan wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:19 pm Just watching the highlights and although probably not deliberate I am disappointed in the commentator labelling Saumaki as “the one man Tongan tidal wave”

You can't expect someone who has to talk excessively for a living to engage his brain before his mouth surely.
Very true. My bad
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

physiodan wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:29 pm

Very true. My bad
E.g. Eddie Butler.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

physiodan wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:29 pm

Very true. My bad
The commentator said at one point we were due to replace Ford with Gopperth. He obviously had never heard of the Pollard deal!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Heard that too and thought what a terrible choice of words!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:56 am

Heard that too and thought what a terrible choice of words!
Difficult isn’t it I’m sure no disrespect was meant, and until I’ve just read this the dreadful Tsunami wasn’t at the front of my memory and it wasn’t only Tonga affected
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:25 pm Burns cannot stay on script, to many big players absent. Poor handling, some pathetic attempts at tackling and poor ball retention. Deserved the 5 points but butchered to many opportunities. To beat Saints we will need a massive improvement and the absentees to return.
I wasn’t there but have seen enough of Burns to know that he does have the odd rush of blood where he feels he has to try something spectacular when it’s never on. With our forward pack, we are pretty much going to get parity or better, so you’ll be on the front foot more often than not, and that’s where patience, pick out the weak defenders, the gaps and take your time. No need for the miracle ball. Ok, in this game it doesn’t matter, but in the big games, it decides the result. That’s why Ford and soon Pollard are there I guess. Freddie, great character, team player, funny on social media, but stick to the script !
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Looking at the game on the Premiership website the intercept try for Worcester was a ridiculous decision but it is all down to patience and decision making be others too putting Freddie in the “save the day with something stupid” position. We failed to execute the rolling maul and left it in too long once it was stationary and the ref had called us it so defence is set. First move is fine but then RW goes back to the short side into all the Worcester forwards and 1/3rd of ours have folded round so we are outnumbered. A few phases and then slow ball from the ruck due to RW faffing to try to milk a penalty that refs says is his own players foot in the way Slow ball back to Freddie and a blitz defence so he throws wide rather than taking it into contact and recycling again. Worcester defended that maul well. We need to get some quick backs moves from rolling mauls to keep teams guessing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just watched the highlights couple of superb pieces of skill for Burns and Reffell trys. Absolute Brain fart from Burns for the intercept try, hopefully he wouldn’t do that in a closer game but who knows.
Just a comment on the pitch, hybrid as we all know not artificial, but given all the rain we have had it did appear to be cutting up in places. Maybe I’m just used to seeing the plastic carpets on tv
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:23 pm Just watched the highlights couple of superb pieces of skill for Burns and Reffell trys. Absolute Brain fart from Burns for the intercept try, hopefully he wouldn’t do that in a closer game but who knows.
Just a comment on the pitch, hybrid as we all know not artificial, but given all the rain we have had it did appear to be cutting up in places. Maybe I’m just used to seeing the plastic carpets on tv
Don’t think we scarified it or re-seeded it last year due to budgetary constraints . Also don’t think that we have had much rain this winter compared with previous years.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:36 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:23 pm Just watched the highlights couple of superb pieces of skill for Burns and Reffell trys. Absolute Brain fart from Burns for the intercept try, hopefully he wouldn’t do that in a closer game but who knows.
Don’t think we scarified it or re-seeded it last year due to budgetary constraints . Also don’t think that we have had much rain this winter compared with previous years.
Thanks, forecast not too bad between now and Friday so hopefully time and weather for remedial action
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Burns on social not looking forward to Monday debrief - thought he had pen advantage for the intercept pass.

Ironically we sat in the stands and said it was worth a punt on a pen advantage position but not without.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

speedski wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:51 pm Burns on social not looking forward to Monday debrief - thought he had pen advantage for the intercept pass.

Ironically we sat in the stands and said it was worth a punt on a pen advantage position but not without.
Agreed
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Stoop pitch looking similar to ours but more sandy so not quite as muddy as by the terrace. Grass will not grow much under 10 degrees C so not much can be done short term. Under soil heating and artificial light are the ways soccer stadia cope but both are expensive. I still think the bounce on the artificial pitches make an egg shaped ball on grass look predictable and is detrimental to the game.