Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Exeter Chiefs to rebrand for next season

Post by Darc Tiger »

https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/chi ... l-identity
Times are changing and so are we – now is the time to move forward!

Exeter Rugby Club have today made the decision to launch a new visual identity, moving away from its previous Native American-themed brand, and introducing a brand icon that is a poignant and significant nod to the past.

The new Exeter Chiefs logo, which will be launched in July 2022, draws inspiration from the Celtic Iron Age Dumnonii Tribe, which encompassed a unified area covering Devon, Cornwall and parts of Somerset for many hundreds of years before the Roman occupation from 43 AD, as well as the later ‘Celtic Kingdom of Dumnonia’, which was established around AD 410 and continued for almost 500 years

The change in identity comes in the wake of the Exeter Rugby Club’s board undertaking a full and informative review process over the past two years.

In launching the new imagery, detailed submissions, together with extensive historical research from leading professionals, have been undertaken to ensure the Rugby Club have a brand that not only recognises our traditions but, more importantly, identifies with our supporters and the region itself.

“We are excited to welcome in the next era of rugby within Exeter,” said Chairman and Chief Executive, Tony Rowe OBE. “Exeter has and always will be the most important term in our overall identity. The term Chiefs, however, is equally entrenched in our make-up, going back to over a century ago when teams in this region would regularly call their first teams that of the Chiefs.

“We are Exeter, we are the Chiefs!

“As a Rugby Club we have been willing to listen, we have consulted far and wide, and now we are ready to invoke change. This is a new direction for our great club, but equally it’s an exciting vision that I’ve no doubt will propel us onwards and upwards over time.

“Our new imagery will bring to life the pride our supporters have to support their club, unifying us all under one brand that underlines all of our core traditions.”

The new Exeter Chiefs logo is made up of elements which represent the region’s Celtic history, as well as its links to the Iron Age Dumnonii Tribe, whose presence in the local area mirrors our own, ever-expanding supporter base. The helmet is based on the Celtic helmets known to be worn in and around 300 BC with a hammered design in the style of La Tène art that was popular in Britain in the last few centuries BC.
A shame it took as long as it did when this solution was so blindingly obvious.

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter Chiefs to rebrand for next season

Post by Scott1 »

There will be some Dumnonian tribe members living ancestor who will probably take exception 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:22 pm There will be some Dumnonian tribe members living ancestor who will probably take exception 😂
Why?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:22 pm There will be some Dumnonian tribe members living ancestor who will probably take exception 😂
Why?
Why not?! There's usually always someone out there who will take offence to something!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:26 pm
Why?
Why not?! There's usually always someone out there who will take offence to something!
It's your strawman. You tell me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:26 pm

Why?
It's your strawman. You tell me.
Had a feeling it would be you who instantly replied too 😉
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Hope that means they will also stop that dirge of a chant.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It is the correct decision if they wish to move forward without a constant debate and the real risk of loosing club sponsors not happy to be associated with the existing image. This way they keep the Chiefs name and change to the logo image is not huge. They also get to wear silly hats which seems to be popular in that part of the country :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Noggs wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:41 pm It is the correct decision if they wish to move forward without a constant debate and the real risk of loosing club sponsors not happy to be associated with the existing image. This way they keep the Chiefs name and change to the logo image is not huge. They also get to wear silly hats which seems to be popular in that part of the country :smt003
Looks very much like a Saracen helmet to me….
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think it’s a great change .. well done to the chiefs for keeping a fantastic club name
And getting a an new updated logo based on local ancient tradition, that fits it.
Just need to change whoa whoa whoooa !
What noises did Iron Age tribes make do we think?

And before we get too complacent… wait for the Hindustan backlash!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

CJ wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:36 pm Hope that means they will also stop that dirge of a chant.
While it winds others up, I can’t see them changing it.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I too expect the chant to remain, but the club (Exeter) need to ban the headdresses and tomahawks appearing. If I remember correctly they have (had) a Tomahawk Bar or some sort of catering equipment at Sandy Park.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The image looks more like someone who should be following Ghengis Khan across the steppe to me.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:12 pm ...
And before we get too complacent… wait for the Hindustan backlash!
I think if we're going to start taking aim at Rugby teams for nicknames based on their shirts (historic or otherwise) the national team of New Zealand is ahead of us in the queue...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Excellent news, and well done to Exeter for (belatedly) joining the rest of us in the 21st Century.

Inevitably the odd lost soul will bemoan this as ‘pandering to woke sensibilities’….but that won’t stop the arc of history bending towards justice 💪