jgriffin
Super User
Super User

6 Nations Proposals rejected?

Post by jgriffin »

Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations Proposals rejected?

Post by Scott1 »

Oh well,at least it guarantees every one a TBP win so its balanced in that sense!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Last time I looked South Africa was not in Europe, what is needed is a second division in Europe with promotion and relegation, that would increase the standards and fairly give other European nations a shot.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I 100% agree with Tigerburnie. A two or even a three division Northern hemisphere (i.e. European) international rugby tournament with promotion and relegation between the divisions would benefit the game as a whole by bringing on countries like Georgia, Russia, Spain and Portugal.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:32 am I 100% agree with Tigerburnie. A two or even a three division Northern hemisphere (i.e. European) international rugby tournament with promotion and relegation between the divisions would benefit the game as a whole by bringing on countries like Georgia, Russia, Spain and Portugal.
I fully agree save for maybe a home and away playoff between bottom of the 6 Nations and top of the league below. That would be a fair test to see if the team has reached a standard whereby they are not going to be even bigger whipping boys that italy the next year. If those playoffs prove to be close run matches or even see the lower league team winning regularly, they coud be removed after a few years.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Agree 100% with Tigerburnie. Two divisions at least and relegation/promotion is key to success. I reckon Georgia would give Italy more than a run for their money at the moment.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I'm very glad SA is not on the table to be included, but I agree with everyone else - some form of promotion/relegation would be a real boost to the emerging nations.
South Africa should concentrate on growing the game in their own continent
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

northerntiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:48 pm I'm very glad SA is not on the table to be included, but I agree with everyone else - some form of promotion/relegation would be a real boost to the emerging nations.
South Africa should concentrate on growing the game in their own continent
Pretty well my view too, SA is there for the money men to make money. Not long ago it was the Scots who were the subject o agonising over a league system. However, pro rugby has become league-shy and anyone's for cash.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

What is really needed is for the 6 nations to be played over 5 consecutive weekends to allow the premiership teams to keep all their internationals for the duration of the season. With the current lowering of the salary cap this is the most sensible option.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

While we’re all agreeing, play the prem cup over 5 weeks of the 6 nations and bin the autumn internationals.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Agree! Here in France, the « doublons » (Top14 and 6N matches on the same weekend) are a pain in the you know where, particularly down here in Toulouse, who always lose several players come the 6N. Five consecutive weekends must be workable with the large squads that each team needs to have.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

northerntiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm While we’re all agreeing, play the prem cup over 5 weeks of the 6 nations and bin the autumn internationals.
You wash your mouth out! I love the AIs 😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

northerntiger wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:48 pm While we’re all agreeing, play the prem cup over 5 weeks of the 6 nations and bin the autumn internationals.
Absolutely!
And I'm not a fan of the 50 week a year game it's turning into.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I'd alternate Summer Internationals from Northern to Southern hemisphere (they won't cus of money spinning having two per year)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I'm not a fan of the AI's, but the idea of nations touring like they did in the amateur days isn't viable and sadly money makes the world go around, so the AI's are probably with us like them or not. Fans want to see the southern hemisphere sides and theoretically it should raise the stand of play for the sides playing.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.