Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clermont

Post by Crofty »

ads wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:54 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:41 pm
animalnitrate wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm

Haha....well spotted. Yes I am :smt041
Top top band - only found out the other day that Richard Osman's brother was in Suede !
Desert Island Discs?

Driving to Clermont is easy, I've driven down to the Pyrenees loads of times Usually go Limoges/Brive but have gone Clermont way before as its the road to the Millau Viaduct.
Driving round Paris* can be a pain in the .... but the rest of it is dead easy driving.
*Can avoid Paris by going via Rouen but I find Paris way is generally quicker, especially if you hit it very early or late to avoid the traffic. Or could go Reims/Dijon/Lyon route.
Motorways in France are great! With a camper it's also really easy to stop over night in the Aires/service stations.
Experience from driving to Le Mans says avoid Rouen at all costs!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Crofty wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 pm
ads wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:54 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:41 pm

Top top band - only found out the other day that Richard Osman's brother was in Suede !
Desert Island Discs?

Driving to Clermont is easy, I've driven down to the Pyrenees loads of times Usually go Limoges/Brive but have gone Clermont way before as its the road to the Millau Viaduct.
Driving round Paris* can be a pain in the .... but the rest of it is dead easy driving.
*Can avoid Paris by going via Rouen but I find Paris way is generally quicker, especially if you hit it very early or late to avoid the traffic. Or could go Reims/Dijon/Lyon route.
Motorways in France are great! With a camper it's also really easy to stop over night in the Aires/service stations.
Experience from driving to Le Mans says avoid Rouen at all costs!
Yeah, I don't go that way. Much prefer Paris.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Might wait until we know the day of the match as 4 nights hotel makes it a very expensive week-end plus don’t think there is enough to do in Clermont to stay for 4 days.
A2O
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Any idea when the actual date of the fixture will be decided?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am a bit surprised that the club's partners are asking people to register interest in a trip to Clermont but are not giving any indication of how the journey will be made, air, coach or train? Certainly there is no suggestion of projected cost. Last time we went to Clermont two fairly full coaches made the trip and a further 60 plus went by train with coaches getting them to and from St Pancras. At time of arranging we did not know the match day so had to allow for all eventualities which meant we had the opportunity to have a tourist day out by coach for those that wanted it.
Incidentally the journey by coach and the slightly more expensive one by train took roughly the same time.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:36 am I am a bit surprised that the club's partners are asking people to register interest in a trip to Clermont but are not giving any indication of how the journey will be made, air, coach or train? Certainly there is no suggestion of projected cost. Last time we went to Clermont two fairly full coaches made the trip and a further 60 plus went by train with coaches getting them to and from St Pancras. At time of arranging we did not know the match day so had to allow for all eventualities which meant we had the opportunity to have a tourist day out by coach for those that wanted it.
Incidentally the journey by coach and the slightly more expensive one by train took roughly the same time.
John do you know which Paris station it is to get to Clermont please, also how long to cross by tube from Eurostar (Gare du Nord) to this station? I understand that this last leg is not TGV?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:43 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:36 am I am a bit surprised that the club's partners are asking people to register interest in a trip to Clermont but are not giving any indication of how the journey will be made, air, coach or train? Certainly there is no suggestion of projected cost. Last time we went to Clermont two fairly full coaches made the trip and a further 60 plus went by train with coaches getting them to and from St Pancras. At time of arranging we did not know the match day so had to allow for all eventualities which meant we had the opportunity to have a tourist day out by coach for those that wanted it.
John do you know which Paris station it is to get to Clermont please, also how long to cross by tube from Eurostar (Gare du Nord) to this station? I understand that this last leg is not TGV?
Perhaps Robespierre may be able to help me with this please?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Have a look on this site: https://www.seat61.com/
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.raileurope.com/en/journey/l ... g=outbound

Not sure if this link will take you to an exemplar Leic - Clermont journey.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:34 pm Have a look on this site: https://www.seat61.com/
Gare de Bercy, and it looks like you get 2 hours to cross Paris so plenty of time. Thank you fentiger.
Raimond
Tiger Cub

Post by Raimond »

parvacat wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:14 pm Any idea when the actual date of the fixture will be decided?
Any thoughts on this please?? From memory, we shouldn't expect much until far later than could be reasonably expected when we're already fumingly angry. That about right?
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:29 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:43 pm
Perhaps Robespierre may be able to help me with this please?
Regrettably, no, not familiar at all with transport from Paris to Clermont, in fact I've never been to Clermont, and won't be going this time as I'll be in Leicestershire that weekend and will have to content myself with watching the match on the box, if it's being televised!

And I didn't even know there was a Gare de Bercy!!
Semper in excretia
LtPigeon
Tiger Cub

Post by LtPigeon »

LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 pm
fentiger wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:34 pm Have a look on this site: https://www.seat61.com/
Gare de Bercy, and it looks like you get 2 hours to cross Paris so plenty of time. Thank you fentiger.
It is very easy to get across Paris.
Metro from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon and than a 5/10 minute walk along Rue de Bercy to Gare de Bercy - total about 20 minutes. If you feel up to it, it will only take about about an hour to walk between the 2 stations.
Paris to Clermont is about 3.5 hours
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

LtPigeon wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:58 am
LE18 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:33 pm
It is very easy to get across Paris.
Metro from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon and than a 5/10 minute walk along Rue de Bercy to Gare de Bercy - total about 20 minutes. If you feel up to it, it will only take about about an hour to walk between the 2 stations.
Paris to Clermont is about 3.5 hours
Time for a light lunch along the way. Of course, that might mean sleeping rough when you get to Clermont to save a few euros.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The questions above have been answered by the following posts. Man in seat 61 is a very helpful site that I have often used, the French Metro system is fast and efficient so there should be no problem getting fro the Gare de Nord to Paris Bercy and as someone has said it is walkable although I have not tried that.
French rail is very good as long as you are booking within 90 days of your journey and as long as there are no strikes, The 90 day rule is the only one that has ever given me a problem and that does not apply in this case.