Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Clermont (Away) - Sunday 10th April 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:24 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:52 pm Porter was red. Unfortunately he bought the dummy went for the intercept, ball never came so he ended up taking the man off the ball, entirely accidental but taking man without the ball makes it foul play then in the criteria you can only give red once applied. It'll bei either a 4 or 6 week ban then max mitigation of 50% applied, he'll likely also get an awareness course offered, so I reckon only one or two week ban.
Not actually true - the guidance from World Rugby accepts accidents happen and they do not constitute foul play. For it to be foul play it needs to be either intentional or reckless, contact off the ball in itself is not enough to be foul play. For me that is subjective and comes down to how you view the incident. My view is that it was an accident and neither intentional or reckless, but I can understand an argument for recklessness because he wasn't always looking where he was going.

It's not a straightforward decision because both players' actions are pretty much identical - the thing that goes against Porter is that he had gone past the ball and that's why I can understand the decision. For me, no foul play, but I can see why some would argue differently and why the referee made the decision.
Can you have accidental foul play or is that an oxymoron. Is any clash, high tackle, head bang deliberate. IMO 2 things went against Porter, firstly the defensive player is always the one penalised no matter the actions of the attacking side. Secondly as others have said the collision was behind the ball.
The ref went by what he saw as the letter of the law, and the Irish touch judge was after blood from the get go. The TMO was the only one pushing for yellow.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Porter running to cut off a pass.
Clermont player running a dummy line.
Both looking at the ball.
Neither looking where they were running.
Both upright.
Both cut out by the pass.

It wasn’t a reckless challenge.
One gets a red.

As accidental as it gets. Sorry but if that merits a penalty something is wrong and very wrong if a card is brandished.

It’s rugby not ballroom dancing.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

baz1664 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:09 pm The element of “accidental” is the key to the incident with Porter, he did not have eyes on the Clermont player at all hence the red card for me was completely wrong!!

If every blood injury needs to be looked at then how did Ford get his stream of blood? The game can’t take apart every Incident during the game, let the citing officer sort that after the game!!
If and when the incident is reversed in another match, and Tigers are on the receiving end, I await your comments with interest.

Ford got a knock around the eye was soon dealt with and he stayed on, what are you achieving by hinting at foul play, it happens
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

19 points should be an insurmountable lead, and Clermont won’t fancy their chances, so I wonder if there’ll be significant changes to the Tigers’ team?
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:50 pm 19 points should be an insurmountable lead, and Clermont won’t fancy their chances, so I wonder if there’ll be significant changes to the Tigers’ team?
SB seems to like to put out a strong team at home, but given the big lead and the distinct possibility of a weaker Clermont team I wouldn't rule out quite a lot of rotation. Perhaps the likes of Genge, Wiese, Montoya, Kelly, Potter and Steward who have all been playing a lot recently might get a weekend off.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Let's just think of it this way. Whatever the rights and wrongs of the card, in the end it didn't hurt us, even if a banned we have Moroni, Scott, Kelly & Socino fit. If the same incident happened in the first 5 min of the prem final and we lost the game it may be worth the argument, as it is take it move on.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:53 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:50 pm 19 points should be an insurmountable lead, and Clermont won’t fancy their chances, so I wonder if there’ll be significant changes to the Tigers’ team?
SB seems to like to put out a strong team at home, but given the big lead and the distinct possibility of a weaker Clermont team I wouldn't rule out quite a lot of rotation. Perhaps the likes of Genge, Wiese, Montoya, Kelly, Potter and Steward who have all been playing a lot recently might get a weekend off.
They've all just had a weekend off. Start strong and put the game to bed, crush the Clermont morale and then make early subs. If a player is an injury doubt then rotate out but otherwise don't risk giving Clermont the opportunity to find a way back into the tie as their backline can accumulate points quickly.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:23 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:16 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 pm

That said, the mitigation of Porter actually not seeing the Clermont player should have been taken into account. Thereby yellow.
He comes flying out the line and then dips a shoulder at the last second once he sees Fitz Lee. It's harsh but technically the right call though I hoped for yellow. Ref was excellent I thought.

I would phrase this differently. He runs out of the line looking for an interception or to tackle another player, and Fitz Lee runs at him from behind, and they clash heads. If he dips his shoulder, it would have been to try to avoid him at the last minute.

Sir was ok, IMHO, apart from his handling of the card and some very strange line-out decisions.
That makes no sense. You don't dip your shoulder to avoid contact. He was bracing for impact. He misread the play trying to cut out the Lopez pass but accidentally clatters in Firtz Lee with a lot of force. It's unlucky and maybe a touch harsh considering some decisions we've seen where less mitigation has seen only a yellow but the referee explained his reasoning and it was fair.

Ref was consistent and allowed the game to flow. Even handed despite the cauldron atmosphere.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:50 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:45 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:37 pm So much to like about that performance. Genge, Montoya, Chessum…..Snyman’s run, JVP came of age today. Steward hammered then recovering to take that high ball for the Potter try…brilliant ! Saumaki’s try…superb hands. The defence. Reffell ! So chuffed for the whole squad, the coaching staff and us, the fans ! One for the scrap book.

Dallaglio tooled up with Stone Island hoody found it hard, but he managed to say it !
Tooled up…that made me laugh very loudly…I think the word “tool” and Dallaglio appear to go hand in hand. Maybe he is off for a Chelsea away day after.?
He has taken his stone Island badge off now.., I think some producer has given him some words of advice!
Yes I did wonder about that ! Haskell always talks about Dallaglio’s team talks at Wasps…..read like a scene from Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels !!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I wonder when the last match was when Tigers did not score or even attempt a penalty goal?
Semper in excretia
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:42 pm I wonder when the last match was when Tigers did not score or even attempt a penalty goal?
Someone will know or dig it out. Maybe a bit previous, but assuming the stars align, that Leinster game is going to be epic.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not wishing to stoke the fire, as it’s done now, but there is a photo on Instagram at the point of impact in the red card incident, which doesn’t improve Porters case imo. There are of course others will disagree
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:47 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:42 pm I wonder when the last match was when Tigers did not score or even attempt a penalty goal?
Someone will know or dig it out. Maybe a bit previous, but assuming the stars align, that Leinster game is going to be epic.
Newcastle Prem Cup about a month ago?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:54 pm Not wishing to stoke the fire, as it’s done now, but there is a photo on Instagram at the point of impact in the red card incident, which doesn’t improve Porters case imo. There are of course others will disagree
I thought the ref's logic was fine. Porter was racing in so, accidental or not, he was reckless.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:10 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:47 pm
Newcastle Prem Cup about a month ago?
And there was I thinking it may have been fifty years ago 😀
Semper in excretia