Clermont (Away) - Sunday 10th April 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Clermont (Away) - Sunday 10th April 2022

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Thought that Dalaglio did ok. Fair play to him as it must have hard…must have been painful to admit, and in his words “Leicester are back”.
Borthwick was his usual self. Understated but clearly a proud Dad. Name dropped Tommy R which am going to read lots into…
There is never any points for 2nd place...
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

So much to like about that performance. Genge, Montoya, Chessum…..Snyman’s run, JVP came of age today. Steward hammered then recovering to take that high ball for the Potter try…brilliant ! Saumaki’s try…superb hands. The defence. Reffell ! So chuffed for the whole squad, the coaching staff and us, the fans ! One for the scrap book.

Dallaglio tooled up with Stone Island hoody found it hard, but he managed to say it !
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:37 pm So much to like about that performance. Genge, Montoya, Chessum…..Snyman’s run, JVP came of age today. Steward hammered then recovering to take that high ball for the Potter try…brilliant ! Saumaki’s try…superb hands. The defence. Reffell ! So chuffed for the whole squad, the coaching staff and us, the fans ! One for the scrap book.

Dallaglio tooled up with Stone Island hoody found it hard, but he managed to say it !
Was he wired again like the England/France game?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

An outstanding performance, up against it after the comical red card, but to demolish Clermont like that was a joy to see, once the toast of European rugby tamed by the brilliance of the Tigers, the pack was world class, Montoya, Genge, Heyes, Wiese, Reffell and the Berg were just machines. JVP surely the future England scrum Half and Steward after that early knock was fantastic!!

Tigers very much contenders for the European Crown!!

As for the officials pretty good until the red card decision!!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:37 pm So much to like about that performance. Genge, Montoya, Chessum…..Snyman’s run, JVP came of age today. Steward hammered then recovering to take that high ball for the Potter try…brilliant ! Saumaki’s try…superb hands. The defence. Reffell ! So chuffed for the whole squad, the coaching staff and us, the fans ! One for the scrap book.

Tooled up…that made me laugh very loudly…I think the word “tool” and Dallaglio appear to go hand in hand. Maybe he is off for a Chelsea away day after.?
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:45 pm

Tooled up…that made me laugh very loudly…I think the word “tool” and Dallaglio appear to go hand in hand. Maybe he is off for a Chelsea away day after.?
He has taken his stone Island badge off now.., I think some producer has given him some words of advice!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Massive win awayin France. Think Clermont will send a weakened side next week too,so huge chance for us to get a home ¼.

Porter was red. Unfortunately he bought the dummy went for the intercept, ball never came so he ended up taking the man off the ball, entirely accidental but taking man without the ball makes it foul play then in the criteria you can only give red once applied. It'll bei either a 4 or 6 week ban then max mitigation of 50% applied, he'll likely also get an awareness course offered, so I reckon only one or two week ban.

Some huge performances out there from loads (Genge, Chessum & Reffell best on the park for me).

Cole coming on made a big difference at the scrum an area that had been a Clermont strength, though we tired out the starting front row well and our depth there showed. Rust started coming off Ford by the end so him having 80 was key for our end of season!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Did anyone else hear during the game that BT said that Tom Youngs had been in contact to say how proud he was of the players & club to have come to Clemont & taken such a great win :smt041
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I thought the tackle on Freddie was dismissed a bit too easily, without any replays or input from the TMO.
At the time, I thought there were no arms involved but I have yet to see it. Sir was mostly good but as many have said,
he also made some strange calls. The red card could and should have been downgraded to a yellow in MHO.
Rules, like laws, require some common sense to work.
The amazing thing is that we went from strength to strength with a man down. A memorable win for the great Leicester Tigers.
A life long Tiger
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Qbec wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:53 pm Did anyone else hear during the game that BT said that Tom Youngs had been in contact to say how proud he was of the players & club to have come to Clemont & taken such a great win :smt041
Him and Kayser probably mates so wouldn't be surprised
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Got to say Kayser is the best summariser I've heard in a long time too. Loved him every time he's been on comms!
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The element of “accidental” is the key to the incident with Porter, he did not have eyes on the Clermont player at all hence the red card for me was completely wrong!!

If every blood injury needs to be looked at then how did Ford get his stream of blood? The game can’t take apart every Incident during the game, let the citing officer sort that after the game!!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Some performance that. Everyone should rightly be proud. Motm. All of them SB and KS too.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:52 pm Porter was red. Unfortunately he bought the dummy went for the intercept, ball never came so he ended up taking the man off the ball, entirely accidental but taking man without the ball makes it foul play then in the criteria you can only give red once applied. It'll bei either a 4 or 6 week ban then max mitigation of 50% applied, he'll likely also get an awareness course offered, so I reckon only one or two week ban.
Not actually true - the guidance from World Rugby accepts accidents happen and they do not constitute foul play. For it to be foul play it needs to be either intentional or reckless, contact off the ball in itself is not enough to be foul play. For me that is subjective and comes down to how you view the incident. My view is that it was an accident and neither intentional or reckless, but I can understand an argument for recklessness because he wasn't always looking where he was going.

It's not a straightforward decision because both players' actions are pretty much identical - the thing that goes against Porter is that he had gone past the ball and that's why I can understand the decision. For me, no foul play, but I can see why some would argue differently and why the referee made the decision.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Exceptional 2nd half performance - other than a few Clermont breaks and a couple of line out blips - we dominated them and played to our game plan. Maybe conditioning played a part . Thought Reffell and Chessum were magnificent today.
Shame about Porter - given the current environment I agree with Kayser - red to yellow as eyes on ball but ref nor TMO ever considered this. However in reality it is (as Scott would say) a rugby accident.