Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Clermont (Away) - Sunday 10th April 2022

Post by sam16111986 »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:05 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:04 pm What if Porter had blood pouring out his head….would he still be to blame….a rugby accident…….not foul play but by letter of law….red card.
The law is the problem, unfortunately.
That said, the mitigation of Porter actually not seeing the Clermont player should have been taken into account. Thereby yellow.
He comes flying out the line and then dips a shoulder at the last second once he sees Fitz Lee. It's harsh but technically the right call though I hoped for yellow. Ref was excellent I thought.

The lads put in an excellent performance. 1 to 23 all put in a great shift. Saumaki put in the kind of performance that makes his starting role next season a distinct proposition.

Genge, Montoya, Chessum and Reffell all fantastic up front. Heyes everywhere in the loose but a learning day at the scrum against experienced opposition. Backline ticked along nicely.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:15 pm
Pellsey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:13 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:11 pm Can’t wait to hear Dalaglio eating sick as he is forced to discuss us dismantling a top French team.. not sure I will be able to cope!
Haha. I wish I could watch this!!
Gladly update…he will resemble the proverbial bulldog chewing a wasp which was sat on a urine ridden nettle…
Haha. Excellent!!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Saumaki's defence still needs work, but he definitely knows how to score tries.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

This Tigers team is coming together nicely. Probably the most impressive win of the season so far.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Hope Porter is not suspended but Ashton and Nadolo likely back for next week and Moroni, Scott and Kelly as the centre options we should be well set cover wise. Plus they need to overturn a 19 point lead... :smt002 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:16 pm

That said, the mitigation of Porter actually not seeing the Clermont player should have been taken into account. Thereby yellow.
He comes flying out the line and then dips a shoulder at the last second once he sees Fitz Lee. It's harsh but technically the right call though I hoped for yellow. Ref was excellent I thought.
I think that he was going for an intercept and then when Lopez dummies it he then pulls back and braces himself once he realizes he is not going to be able to get the ball, hence the no arms for a tackle.
peteD

Post by peteD »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:18 pm Hope Porter is not suspended but Ashton and Nadolo likely back for next week and Moroni, Scott and Kelly as the centre options we should be well set cover wise. Plus they need to overturn a 19 point lead... :smt002 :smt023
before today I would have said we would have said we could turn over a 5 - 10 point lead back at MWWR. so carrying a 19 advantage into the game is a HUGE advantage :smt041
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Clermont send a much changed team to Welford Rd next Saturday leaving their first choice players to be as best prepared as possible for their next Top14 game in the 24th at Castres.
Semper in excretia
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Fantastic effort from the whole travelling party, this is an enormous win even if it is only half the job done. Feel sorry for Porter, an accident but by the way the laws are now he had to go although I still reckon their 8 stepped into it so maybe there's a blindspot in the laws about duty of care for players on the side that has the ball to be addressed? He'll probably cop a ban too, six down to 3 if he shows contrition and brings the good biscuits (the cynic in me says he'll cop an extre 2 or 3 for wearing the wrong shirt).

Should look to press the advantage on our park next week, make a statement. They'll be fired up for it, that's for sure. What a turnaround in the last 18 months though, regardless of what happens from here in context this is a true annus mirabilis!

In Borthwick we trust!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:18 pm This Tigers team is coming together nicely. Probably the most impressive win of the season so far.
Agreed. Was starting to wonder how we’d cope when it comes to the premiership play offs. Play like this and we’ll be in with a good shot. Forwards immense and plenty of players to come into the backline. Moroni. Scott. Ashton. Nadolo. Youngs.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I would phrase this differently. He runs out of the line looking for an interception or to tackle another player, and Fitz Lee runs at him from behind, and they clash heads. If he dips his shoulder, it would have been to try to avoid him at the last minute.

Sir was ok, IMHO, apart from his handling of the card and some very strange line-out decisions.
Last edited by Pellsey on Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

If Ford had bought his kicking boots, we would have been near to 40!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:09 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 pm Will I be able to rewatch again later? Or will it be tomorrow now?
Should be available straight away on BT Sport as it was shown live
👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Pellsey wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:23 pm

watching the replay, French player changes his line and steps into Porter

I would phrase this differently. He runs out of the line looking for an interception or to tackle another player, and Fitz Lee runs at him from behind, and they clash heads. If he dips his shoulder, it would have been to try to avoid him at the last minute.

Sir was ok, IMHO, apart from his handling of the card and some very strange line-out decisions.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:22 pm I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Clermont send a much changed team to Welford Rd next Saturday leaving their first choice players to be as best prepared as possible for their next Top14 game in the 24th at Castres.
This,I think they will do exactly that
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer