SALE (A) - Sunday 30th January 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: SALE (A) - Sunday 30th January 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

We desperately missed a 10 who could control the game and keep us in the right areas of the pitch. Freddie was very loose. Hegarty got the yips when he moved up to FH.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:24 pm To me it’s as simple as he was enjoying running the show, knew he couldn’t carry on and wasn’t happy about it in general, hence the expletives. And to think I saw some comments that Borthwick was lying !!?
Which seems to be more than plausible, backed up by this:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6574774

Freddie Burns has shed light on why he was replaced early into the second half of Leicester Tigers' defeat to Sale Sharks.

With George Ford away on England duty, Burns wore the 10 shirt in a Premiership game for the first time this season, kicking 11 points from the tee at the AJ Bell.

With the visitors nine points ahead and their 31-year-old fly-half pulling the strings, there was some surprise when he was replaced by Jack van Poortvliet 13 minutes after the interval as Tigers went on to lose 35-26.

Steve Borthwick speaking post-match only had this to say on the matter- “Freddie Burns had to come off.”

Burns cleared up the situation on his own Instagram profile.

“Gutted not to get the win today," he wrote. "But loved being on the pitch with the boys. Just wanted to clear up that I was struggling with a bit of cramp (something which I’ve struggled with my entire career called compartment syndrome).

"I was frustrated coming off because I felt in control of the game but is relatively out of my control. It’s something that improves with game time.
Anyways, congrats to Sale and looking forward to being back at MWWR (Mattioli Woods Welford Road) next week and in front of our home fans. Thanks to those that travelled!”
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

Now we have all the facts maybe you key board assassins who were "premature", (hope it's not just on here) suck it up and support your team. This is a long road and we've hit a bump, I'm 100% sure SB will have us back under control and heading in the right direction next week. KEEP THE FAITH.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Choice of fullback sub is still a bit odd and then required Wiggy to stay on passed his best.

EggChasers also suggest it was labelled as a tactical substitution but that could be a mistake.

Freddie’s history suggests this is something that occurs during a game that can be OK for the next weekend so fingers crossed.

I am sure the coaching team will reflect. A blip at this stage and some refocus for all may be a good think. Wasps was possibly too close a result to trigger enough of a rethink. Also there were not many back row options to choose from in that game.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well tactical would make sense if it was the cramp thing as in 10 minutes rest he might have been ok and if a HIA had happened he could come back on.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:16 am Well tactical would make sense if it was the cramp thing as in 10 minutes rest he might have been ok and if a HIA had happened he could come back on.
Maybe if he bit a blood capsule or something that could have been arranged........🤣🤣🤣🤣

Coat being fetched
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Overall conclusions:-

1) Faz and Eddie have thrown a right spanner in the works!

2) Internationals are a PITA.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Truefollower wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 am Now we have all the facts maybe you key board assassins who were "premature", (hope it's not just on here) suck it up and support your team. This is a long road and we've hit a bump, I'm 100% sure SB will have us back under control and heading in the right direction next week. KEEP THE FAITH.
As was mentioned during the Connacht thread during the game posters react to what they see, and Burns face told a different story.
Hegarty moving to 10 was the right call, and I don’t think it matters who went to 15, Hegarty had a shocker
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Meh

3 out of 4 in February are home games against teams that are all dangerous but equally if we get it right could win all 3. And Bath away.

Let's just regroup and go again. The wheels haven't fallen off or anything.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

ourla wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am Meh

3 out of 4 in February are home games against teams that are all dangerous but equally if we get it right could win all 3. And Bath away.

Let's just regroup and go again. The wheels haven't fallen off or anything.
You're right, there are no poor teams in the Premiership and the wheels are still firmly fixed on. The change at FH did have a negative effect but on another day who knows? We also for once did not get the rub of the green, particularly in the second half.

We still have a 7 point margin and most would have sold their gran for this at the halfway stage of the season. Other 'top teams' also took a hit this weekend which only serves to testify that it's 'tough at the top'. Three home fixtures plus an away to the bottom club give us a strong prospect of more points in the coming weeks so heads up and onwards. :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The change at Fly half and the substitutions made by Sale had a big impact. Wigglesworth said that we were playing into the wind in the second half.
The charge down and the short kick off really did the damage. If the chip had come off, it would have been greeted with excitement. Not everything works and the risks sometimes go against.
Sale are a good team and have a very good home record, Disappointing to lose but we are not going to win every game. Just glad that it has happened whilst still in a good position at the top of the table as it gives the coaches and players things to work on and refocus for the coming games.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am amazed by some of the comments on this thread, Freddie Burns had an injury and received treatment to his calf for a few minutes at the side of the pitch (directly in front of me) during a stoppage in play. He trotted back to take position behind the posts as Sale had a kick at goal. Freddie's sock was still rolled down and he was clearly limping as he moved back to the halfway line. It was no surprise that he was substituted although I admit to not understanding why JVP came on at fullback, I thought their were better options available.
Some on here made adverse comment about Burns as soon as he was selected, in fact he was having a very good game prior to his injury, with the exception of one match Freddie has played well for us on his previous appearances and is a very good back-up stand off. Hegarty had been doing ok at 15 and as he was in the opinion of some posters a preferred option to Burns at 10 moving him to that role was possibly logical, a scrum half to fullback was a bit more surprising. Many have said others should have been included in our matchday 23 but I assume that they like me have no idea if their alternative suggestions for the bench or starting team were actually fit and available for selection.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Freddie's compartment syndrome has been well known for years. He had occasional issues last time he was here, and at Bath.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:04 pm I am amazed by some of the comments on this thread, Freddie Burns had an injury and received treatment to his calf for a few minutes at the side of the pitch (directly in front of me) during a stoppage in play. He trotted back to take position behind the posts as Sale had a kick at goal. Freddie's sock was still rolled down and he was clearly limping as he moved back to the halfway line. It was no surprise that he was substituted although I admit to not understanding why JVP came on at fullback, I thought their were better options available.
Some on here made adverse comment about Burns as soon as he was selected, in fact he was having a very good game prior to his injury, with the exception of one match Freddie has played well for us on his previous appearances and is a very good back-up stand off. Hegarty had been doing ok at 15 and as he was in the opinion of some posters a preferred option to Burns at 10 moving him to that role was possibly logical, a scrum half to fullback was a bit more surprising. Many have said others should have been included in our matchday 23 but I assume that they like me have no idea if their alternative suggestions for the bench or starting team were actually fit and available for selection.
It is always better to bide your time and the real facts will appear, it is like a breath of freshly cut grass drifting into the Crumbie stand!
Thanks John for these pitch side details. In Borthwick and the team we trust. :smt023
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:33 am Overall conclusions:-

1) Faz and Eddie have thrown a right spanner in the works!

2) Internationals are a PITA.
I guess Posh Richard is still basking in the Gloucester glory and more confident of the trip to Welford Road at the end of February when Glaws come to town ?