SALE (A) - Sunday 30th January 2022 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: SALE (A) - Sunday 30th January 2022 - 3-00pm

Post by RunTigerRun »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:34 pm Thoughts on Whitcombe's performance ladies and gents?
Impressed! Scrum looked good amongst Montoya and Cole, carried well, solid in Defence.

I'd like to see more of him throughout the season, but a solid first prem start. He'll be tested more in games to come, Gloucs and Sarries spring to mind against Gotovsev and Koch - but I was impressed with him.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:37 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:34 pm Thoughts on Whitcombe's performance ladies and gents?
Had Sale props on toast although the far touch judge needed glasses when it came to it. 7 tackles 0 missed.
Honestly first start at this level and looked very good.
Considering he was up against a very experienced and effective former SA International I thought he acquitted himself well. I don't remember him doing much by way of carrying but he did what is the basic props skills very well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:40 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:37 pm
Had Sale props on toast although the far touch judge needed glasses when it came to it. 7 tackles 0 missed.
Honestly first start at this level and looked very good.
Considering he was up against a very experienced and effective former SA International I thought he acquitted himself well. I don't remember him doing much by way of carrying but he did what is the basic props skills very well.
Yeh what he did for me is the minimum I want from a starting first choice prop, which is good considering his lack of game time.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Brutus wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:31 pm Why not just swap Burns and Hegarty? Burns can do a job at fullback,
Not if he was injured.

Pinched from the Unoffy: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/ot ... me-2759140

If still relevant, and no reason why it may not be given others have posted about Burns holding his calf/calves then maybe the change to bring JVP on at FB, whilst a risk, meant we maintained Wigglesworth out on pitch as an old/experienced head to steer the play, rather than JVP and Socino/Hegarty at FH - all untried combos.

It didn't really work but maybe that was the thinking.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:29 pm https://www.itv.com/hub/live-gallagher- ... a2252a0001

OK go to match time 49:38 and you can clearly see Burns limping around and touching his calf after a bad turn
Get's subbed @ 53:00
As mentioned still not seen the game but I am really shocked by some of the comments and complete lack of trust for SB. Branding him a liar is a huge accusation and by the sounds of things perhaps he was telling the truth and is guilty of nothing more than a poor tactical decision. I’d like to see a little more evidence personally before chucking those words around, especially toward someone who has turned our fortunes around from rock bottom season on season to table topping in all 3 competitions
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:35 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:32 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:29 pm https://www.itv.com/hub/live-gallagher- ... a2252a0001

OK go to match time 49:38 and you can clearly see Burns limping around and touching his calf after a bad turn
Get's subbed @ 53:00
Posted at about the same time, but yes, I watched it back and it’s clear.
Which explains his reaction, which I agree could have looked like he was angry and getting the shepherds crook. Clearly he’s annoyed that he couldn’t finish the game and maybe worse, knows he’ll be out for a few weeks.
I'm hoping he was annoyed he couldn't finish the game and that he felt he could play on.

The alternative is he's annoyed he's out for a while at the exact time he'll get a run of games.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting stats
Jean Luc 64 metres carried
Dan 56 metres carried
Tigers combined pack carried for 66 meters

Wiese was completely man marked usually by 2 Sale forwards and we just didn't really have another carrying option in the pack to share the load.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'd like to say thank you to Wasps this week. Shame about the result, we always looked cobbled together after Freddie B went off. Still lots of effort from the team, it just didn't gel. People out of position defensively and Sale chancing their arm. Another day a different result.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

held his own maybe could have come off a tad earlier just to freshen it up
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:48 pm I'd like to say thank you to Wasps this week.
And Bath and Irish.. all in all a tricky fixtures out of the way and still a 7 point lead over 2nd. Not the best outcome this weekend but far from the worst. We could have that lead sitting at 3 points with Quins 4 points behind. We still have an entire game in hand plus a bit. Far from the wheels coming off and it sounds like if Burns didn’t get injured maybe we would have got something out of today… right off to watch the match to see for myself.. thanks for the updates all
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:47 pm Interesting stats
Dan 56 metres carried

Wiese was completely man marked usually by 2 Sale forwards and we just didn't really have another carrying option in the pack to share the load.
was Snyman ill again? having Hanro and Robinson on the bench was always lightweight
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Looks to the manor born for me.

As for Borthwick I trust him implicitly however everyone makes mistakes.
That being said there seems now to be a swell of opinion that Burns was injured and you have to have faith in your medical team to make the calls.

Time to move on and if Freddie isn’t fit then Worcester could be a good game to bring Lancaster in outside JVP who he has played with at u20s
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Interesting article re Freddie's 'tight calf syndrome '
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

A game we should have won but lost, this was self-inflicted rather than being outplayed. Can’t blame the ref either although a couple of baffling decisions, there isn’t a match when every decision is correct.

What we learn (hopefully) is that
~ We can’t afford to make weird selections and substitutions and expect to get away with it every time
~ We need a Gopperth-like player who could help with the fly half issue when Ford/Pollard are away (if the rumours are true)
~ Whitcombe continues to impress, at least in the scrum

Positives aside from Whitcombe - Wiese had another good game. Montoya showed again he is world class. Hanro back on the pitch again. Kelly at least held his own in a creaky back line. Overall I thought the forwards played pretty well but we lost it from 9 to 15.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:47 pm Interesting stats
Dan 56 metres carried

Weise was the shark bait player then as Sanderson calls it 🤮
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer