Leicester v Bordeaux (H) - 22nd January 2022 - 15:15

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leicester v Bordeaux (H) - 22nd January 2022 - 15:15

Post by ABClub »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 pm As we have already qualified I would go with our 2nd choice starting 15 and load the bench with the Internationals to ensure we get the win. Give them 20/25 mins to get them ready for Sale. My bench would be Genge, Montoya, Cole, Wells, Reffell, Youngs, Ford and Steward.
I know its difficult to name the 2nd choices but I'm sure you know what I mean! :smt045
It's an idea I actually really love for this sort of game. Absolutely stack the bench for impact late on.

With that incentive of a potential home Q/F with a top 2 finish I just can't quite see it happening though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:42 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:27 pm As we have already qualified I would go with our 2nd choice starting 15 and load the bench with the Internationals to ensure we get the win. Give them 20/25 mins to get them ready for Sale. My bench would be Genge, Montoya, Cole, Wells, Reffell, Youngs, Ford and Steward.
I know its difficult to name the 2nd choices but I'm sure you know what I mean! :smt045
It's an idea I actually really love for this sort of game. Absolutely stack the bench for impact late on.

With that incentive of a potential home Q/F with a top 2 finish I just can't quite see it happening though.
Yes,Munster have Wasps at home and Quins have Castres who are out I believe so we are probably gonna need a TBP win let alone a win. Fully loaded and maybe Scarlets do us a favour today too and BB send a B team over next week if they can’t qualify
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Don't forget ABC that we won away with a mixed team, so I would hope that we can do even better than that at home, especially with a bench like I selected, bearing in mind how strong the starting team would be anyway.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Don't forget ABC that we won away with a mixed team, so I would hope that we can do even better than that at home, especially with a bench like I selected, bearing in mind how strong the starting team would be anyway.
Agreed, though that was a heavily rotated Bordeaux team as well it should be noted. They will likely send an even more rotated side away of course but still worth noting it wasn't the same Bordeaux team is leading the Top 14. That made it an interesting game in many ways as it was the Prem leaders vs Top 14 leaders with both testing their depth.

As said in my first post here I'd personally like Burns to get another start at least on the bounce with Ford on the bench. So I'd like a mix as is usual my view with selection. Gradual changes week to week rather than wholesale for certain games. I'd love Whitcombe to get another start alongside Clare who was really good when he came on yesterday and is usually rock solid at set-piece.

1.Whitcombe 2.Clare 3.Heyes 4.Green 5.Chessum 6.Martin 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Burns 11.Saumaki 12.Kelly 13.Moroni 14.Kini 15.Hegarty

16.Montoya 17.Genge 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.*someone who owns rugby boots* 21.JvP 22.Ford 23.Porter

I'd really like to see that sort of side get a run at home with the more attacking tactics we saw at the weekend. Those tactics with Youngs at 9 and our first choice centres could be a very good blend.

As said I think that potential financial incentive for a home QF will see a near full strength side though. Worth noting as well it's potentially the fans last chance to see some England stars in Tigers colours until the Chiefs game at the end of March!
Last edited by ABClub on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Finishing top of the pool would guarantee a home quarter and choice of stadium in home country for the semi if made that far. Second would guarantee a home quarter. Given we rotated this week, and I don’t think other Premiership sides have been able to rotate nearly as much as us, I would go full noise this weekend. I think the rotation and freshness has been managed by Borthwick brilliantly this season so far and could pay dividends in June.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I really hope Manz gets in the 23 again and gets some game time this time!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:10 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Agreed, though that was a heavily rotated Bordeaux team as well it should be noted. They will likely send an even more rotated side away of course but still worth noting it wasn't the same Bordeaux team is leading the Top 14. That made it an interesting game in many ways as it was the Prem leaders vs Top 14 leaders with both testing their depth.

As said in my first post here I'd personally like Burns to get another start at least on the bounce with Ford on the bench. So I'd like a mix as is usual my view with selection. Gradual changes week to week rather than wholesale for certain games. I'd love Whitcombe to get another start alongside Clare who was really good when he came on yesterday and is usually rock solid at set-piece.

1.Whitcombe 2.Clare 3.Heyes 4.Green 5.Chessum 6.Martin 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Burns 11.Saumaki 12.Kelly 13.Moroni 14.Kini 15.Hegarty

16.Montoya 17.Genge 18.Leatigaga 19.Wells 20.*someone who owns rugby boots* 21.JvP 22.Ford 23.Porter

I'd really like to see that sort of side get a run at home with the more attacking tactics we saw at the weekend. Those tactics with Youngs at 9 and our first choice centres could be a very good blend.

As said I think that potential financial incentive for a home QF will see a near full strength side though. Worth noting as well it's potentially the fans last chance to see some England stars in Tigers colours until the Chiefs game at the end of March!
No room for Potter?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Personally I don’t think SB will be thinking about the quarter final.
Sale to me is the most important game but Tigers won’t think about that until after Bordeaux!
Whatever the team we will be down at Welford Road to cheer the team on.
The good news is Tigers will have a well rotated squad by the time we play Sale and then it’s the Six Nations when anything can happen to any team in the Premiership.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TBP for BB,game on next week
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Tigers play over the last couple of weeks has been a bit disjointed, I'd bring back Cole, Youngs etc. and try to get them playing together again.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

SB rarely gives his second string two games in a row.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bordeaux will want to qualify for the next phase and will surely field a strong side at Welford Rd, including Matthieu Jalibert. That being said, I urge Borthers to do likewise and put out a side capable of securing the win.
Semper in excretia
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:21 pm No room for Potter?
I'd be happy for him to get another week off. He's definitely our best all round winger to me. With Steward almost certainly away for Six Nations I'd hope Potter will start most those games to offer that solidity next to presumably Hegarty at 15.

Sale (A), Wuss (H), Saints (H), Bath (A), Gloucester (H), Sarries (A), LI (H)

That's actually a pretty good schedule for the Six Nations I think. Sale and Sarries away are tough places to go but both will be missing internationals as well. I'm hoping we can get up a head of steam again.

Some better luck with the back row will be vital. If Martin, van Staden and Hanro are available we'll be in very good shape. If not the back row could remain very stretched.

Our fortune on player availability has been very good on the most part this season.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVRAs_hCoHs

Bordeaux looked impressive today in their comprehensive win over Scarlets. Some incredible offloading - will be a tough test for sure
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:15 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVRAs_hCoHs

Bordeaux looked impressive today in their comprehensive win over Scarlets. Some incredible offloading - will be a tough test for sure
Jalibert is a doubt as he came off injured against Llanelli .
Semper in excretia