6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by mol2 »

Edwards went to France because they offered him a contract.
Presumably England didn't.

Given the turnover of coaches beneath Jones you have to wonder if it us because he is difficult to work under, or he needs someone to blame or is it he isn't good at picking his team.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This Oz tour coming up is hugely important! It’s really the last chance we have to look at anyone new and get them bedded in because in the AI and the 2023 6N you really have to go with your gun RWC team,or as close as possible taking injuries into consideration,and it’s only 9? games. 9,10,12,13 is an absolute priority and has to be sorted!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:41 pm This Oz tour coming up is hugely important! It’s really the last chance we have to look at anyone new and get them bedded in because in the AI and the 2023 6N you really have to go with your gun RWC team,or as close as possible taking injuries into consideration,and it’s only 9? games. 9,10,12,13 is an absolute priority and has to be sorted!
1 and 3 plus their replacements need sorting. Only 1 is a dead cert.

2 needs a good look at

4 is nailed on

5???? Is our 6 a better 5

6, 7 and 8 has been out of balance since Jones took the job.

9, 10, 12 and 13 need sorting as you said

11 and 14.....some pace would be nice,

15 I, think is sorted.

France had a game plan, kept the ball alive, and supported brilliantly. We were same old same old 1, 2, Bosh.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

For what it's worth, I'd probably have the first 15 shaping up something like this ahead of the World Cup:

1. Genge
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Underhill
7. Curry
8. Simmons
9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Hassell-Collins
12. Kelly
13. Marchant
14. Radwan
15. Steward

Of that 15, I would say that Genge, Itoje, Lawes, Curry and Steward are nailed on. Which, at this point ahead of a World Cup is fairly awful!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:32 pm For what it's worth, I'd probably have the first 15 shaping up something like this ahead of the World Cup:

1. Genge
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Lawes
6. Underhill
7. Curry
8. Simmons
9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Hassell-Collins
12. Kelly
13. Marchant
14. Radwan
15. Steward

Of that 15, I would say that Genge, Itoje, Lawes, Curry and Steward are nailed on. Which, at this point ahead of a World Cup is fairly awful!
I think England’s scrum has really improved in the last two games. That said they need a better reserve right head. Heyes is the obvious choice for me but he needs more game time.

A lock to go with Itoje- we need a lump. Tizard looks a great prospect but Hill and Launchbury would do well in the meantime.

The backrow we have plenty of options but one has to be a lineout option. I was impressed by the pace Drombradt added yesterday and is a line breaker which, given the paucity in the back line is critical. He is also a good lineout forward. A combination of Lawes, Drombradt and Curry seems balanced. Willis, Barbeary, Underhill are all excellent options.

Youngs will stay but we have to look to Quirke and Randall for the coming year. They need experience. Smith/Ford seen the most compatible in regards to fly half but Jones will go for Farrell. To be fair as long as Farrell isn’t picked at centre I’m happy.

Jones needs to actually pick a 12 at 12. Kelly and Slade, with Marchant at 13. Northmore appears to have come and gone but I like the look of him.

Steward is obvious at 15. Balance the wingers with pace and power. Radwan with Cokanasiga would be my choice. I like Murley and Lynagh at Quins. Malins instead of the paperweight Daly.

England have talent but they need an identity and to pick the same team for several months in a row.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Simmonds…absolutely not. I have a feeling that the Vunipolas may return, or Billy at least. Farrell will also come back into the mix. I know how popular he is n this forum. Scott is his biggest fan :smt023
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

mol2 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:38 pm

Given the turnover of coaches beneath Jones you have to wonder if it us because he is difficult to work under, or he needs someone to blame or is it he isn't good at picking his team.
At least he hasn't had Pivac's nightmare: last 3 6Ns 5th, 1st, 5th including a loss to Italy at home. With this record should be Grand Slam next year. :smt003
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The building of a new team should of commenced at the end of the 2019 final, I know Covid has caused some issues in that regard but the chopping of the Dead Wood has taken too long.
I bet EJ wishes he hadn't signed on for another 4 years.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:37 pm I bet EJ wishes he hadn't signed on for another 4 years.
£££££££££££ I reckon he's well happy he got another contract!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The good news is, they won't be coming for SB
- yet.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:37 pm The building of a new team should of commenced at the end of the 2019 final, I know Covid has caused some issues in that regard but the chopping of the Dead Wood has taken too long.
Absolutely this....for someone who is single-minded and (I guess) driven to succeed and who speaks to coaches of other sports to get ahead of the game, this was surely a no-brainer. France have done it and look where they are to where they were. Short-term pain for long term gain. Lose a bunch of games, don't win a triple crown, grand slam or 6 Nations title. But take the hit, learn from the experience of losing. See who can get through that adversity and build your squad around those players. I think Jones has been too focused on this "leadership group" thing - a trusted group of players who can't be dropped no matter what. I suspect we'll get to the quarter or semi final of the 2023 tournament, the RFU will call it a success and we'll just muddle on through.

For the record, I think, like Baxter, Borthwick isn't that suited to international rugby. As a supporting coach maybe, but as the main man, it's so difficult with limited time with the squad etc
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:09 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:37 pm The building of a new team should of commenced at the end of the 2019 final, I know Covid has caused some issues in that regard but the chopping of the Dead Wood has taken too long.
Absolutely this....for someone who is single-minded and (I guess) driven to succeed and who speaks to coaches of other sports to get ahead of the game, this was surely a no-brainer. France have done it and look where they are to where they were. Short-term pain for long term gain. Lose a bunch of games, don't win a triple crown, grand slam or 6 Nations title. But take the hit, learn from the experience of losing. See who can get through that adversity and build your squad around those players. I think Jones has been too focused on this "leadership group" thing - a trusted group of players who can't be dropped no matter what. I suspect we'll get to the quarter or semi final of the 2023 tournament, the RFU will call it a success and we'll just muddle on through.

For the record, I think, like Baxter, Borthwick isn't that suited to international rugby. As a supporting coach maybe, but as the main man, it's so difficult with limited time with the squad etc
I mostly agree with this - I do think the leadership group thing is a good idea, but he has over-relied on it and failed to bring newer, younger players into it.

It also seems like he reacts too much to injuries etc rather than having a plan in place. On top of that, too much has been put into the idea of getting players in for a camp or two to have a look at them even though they aren't realistically going to feature much - he would have been better off building a more consistent and settled squad.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It would be much better if he didn't have these crazy ideas about hybrid players and constantly playing players out of position or moving them around. Lancaster was the same though but not as bad,Brad Barritt at 13 and Mike Brown on the wing etc. Can't understand what the fascination is!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:25 pm It would be much better if he didn't have these crazy ideas about hybrid players and constantly playing players out of position or moving them around. Lancaster was the same though but not as bad,Brad Barritt at 13 and Mike Brown on the wing etc. Can't understand what the fascination is!
I get that locks can play back row, assuming that they're confident in what is expected in the different roles. The constant call for an "out-and-out 7" also winds me up - in Neil Back's day then maybe, as he was the only person who used to jackal. Nowadays, everyone is adept at getting over the ball. In the backs, to be honest I have no clue anymore especially in the centres, who is a 12 and who is a 13. There's also a school of thought that you get your best players onto the field, if that means someone who mainly plays full back on the wing, so be it. I did get Steward being played out there, for the high balls and to be fair to Jones, it worked to a certain extent. I'd rather he was at full back but if you ask Freddie, he'd play 10 I'm sure, as long as he was starting !