6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The RFU is paying for having its head in the sand as the game went Professional.

If EJ goes pre RWC it will be Gatland & I am not sure anyone wants that...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Any calls for Townsend or Pivac to be sacked/resign?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Cockers always gets a team going when he takes over. Maybe they're waiting til after the autumn internationals then put him in charge. Grand slam in the 6 nations, win the WC and then sack him after finishing last in the 2024 6 nations.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

ourla wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:45 pm Any calls for Townsend or Pivac to be sacked/resign?
Pivac? Yes, plenty.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... o-23469099
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Interesting that there are articles in most of the rugby press regarding Borthwick's support for Eddie and his plan for England in the RWC 2023.

Most on here don't seem to agree. How does that resonate with the "In Borthwick we Trust" mantra? Are his opinions fallible after all, should we be concerned?!

I occasionally question the policy of not telling supporters anything regarding injuries (despite this being the norm in almost all rugby and football clubs), and always get shouted down by the IBWT brigade.

Perhaps it should now be "In Borthwick we Sometimes Trust" (IBWST).
Soggypitch
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think it would be hard for Borthwick to criticise EJ, the bloke who opened the coaching door for him, also perhaps not wise to bite the hand (RFU) that might be feeding you in the future. (See Deano for example)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

These are the comments that I can see from a quick google:

"I'd be very confident looking at the two World Cups I was part of Eddie's coaching team for that there will be a clear strategic plan they're progressing along.

My view of Eddie, from the time I worked with Eddie, is that he keeps incredibly focused on how the team moves forward and he always has a clear strategic plan.

'I'm sure Eddie and his coaching team will have that now and that's what they will be working towards."
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Also seen comments in the past about how Jones has given a leg up/experience to English coaches via the national team set up and how beneficial that has been - looking broader than just the performance of the team itself.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

And fans are fickle. Especially behind their keyboards.

Expect a bit of criticism for Borthwick if we have a bad run or fail to progress.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The comments you quote seem to me to be SB the politician. Bland(ish) statements that neither condemn nor promote and are open to different interpretations. "He is incredibly focussed" = single minded and positive or, alternatively, narrow minded and obsessive. As always, SB treats the media with caution.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think that there has always been a difference in focus between EJ and the fans. Not sure he sees the 6 Nations as particularly important, contrary to what the fans want, and keeps his focus on the World Cup. I sometimes feel that he sees the Autumn internationals as more important as examples of where we stand in the world heirachy.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh come on,does anyone really expect Borths to say anything different?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:32 pm I think that there has always been a difference in focus between EJ and the fans. Not sure he sees the 6 Nations as particularly important, contrary to what the fans want, and keeps his focus on the World Cup. I sometimes feel that he sees the Autumn internationals as more important as examples of where we stand in the world heirachy.
Agreed - and when most coaches/countries are judged on whether they win the World Cup who can blame him
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:02 pm
GB72 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:32 pm I think that there has always been a difference in focus between EJ and the fans. Not sure he sees the 6 Nations as particularly important, contrary to what the fans want, and keeps his focus on the World Cup. I sometimes feel that he sees the Autumn internationals as more important as examples of where we stand in the world heirachy.
Agreed - and when most coaches/countries are judged on whether they win the World Cup who can blame him
Thing is, as a nation and in most sports, we are particularly bad at allowing development. We want to see us win every match and it does not help that pretty much any game has a cup or trophy tied to it now. Trouble is a coach or union cannot be seen to say that they are taking the next 2-3 years to test players and develop irrespective of the result with an intention to come good in the build up to a world cup. To help clubs and to help development with no blame attached, I would be happy to see a player release agreement that only allowed players to be released for the autumn internationals or the 6 nations but not both and if you play Lions you cannot play that year's Autumn internationals except in the 12 months leading up to the World Cup. That would help develop a wider pool of international experience with less pressure on selection and winning.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

In what other sport would the head of the national team expect to excuse shcoking performance in the European or world championships because they are building for the Olympics?

If we look on the 6N as the equivalent of the Euros do we think Gareth Southgate would say "We are using this as development for the World Cup." Only once and shortly before his P45.

The test side losing to Sri Lanka and saying it's art of the build up to the Ashes?

If you are playing professional sport you play to win.