6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

France miles ahead of us from a coaching perspective. They have a clear view of how they should play and are playing to their strengths. England’s coaching is clearly confusing,

We had 2 world class players based on their performance today -Lawes and Freddie who strangely would have been more effective for the team in their primary positions. Go figure.

Smith was poor today particularly kicking from hand , YBY box kicking was generally good but rest of game was bang average, Randall still not the answer to replace him ….. EJ has put the money on him when Quirke was the better option. Merchant was very good - needs a better 12 inside him (Kelly anyone?). Daly NO NO NO NO
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

England biggest attacking issue is a lack of strike runners. No doubt EJ solution will be to pick Farrell at 12…
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I got the tactic of Steward out wide and it worked to a certain extent, he took sone amazing high balls. If this is how we play, surely we get support to him ? Ridiculous the amount of tines we got turned over when a runner was isolated. We played into French hands there.

Genge was monumental, what a performance ! Marchant improving as well very good. Thank you and goodbye to Stuart, George, Isiekwe, Underhill, Simmonds, Youngs, Slade, Daly, Furbank, Nowell. Obviously decent players but don’t offer any X factor in my opinion.

Randall and Smith, take us to the World Cup, make mistakes but by the time we get there it could click. Willis into the back row with Barbeary, dynamism, power and ability to get over the ball. Dombrandt gets a run at 8. I’d try McGuigan at hooker, he’s on fire. Centre is a problem. Assuming Manu is out, Marchant has potential so maybe try Kelly although I’m not convinced, worth a shot. May and Radwan on the wings….raw speed, gives defences a problem. Nowell is busy but doesn’t threaten.
Eddie won’t go for this, he likes kicking option and a fast wing/busy type.

This should all have been done 2 years ago, let the players make errors and bed in and by now we should have been in a better position.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Don't understand why everyone is naysaying Steward on the wing - whilst he's a fantastic fullback the tactic of having him be the lead chaser against their fullback was just about the only thing Eddie got right yesterday, it was the only attacking platform we had!

Unfortunately England didn't have a better 2nd fullback - would have been to have Anthony Watson for this game plan
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:12 am Don't understand why everyone is naysaying Steward on the wing - whilst he's a fantastic fullback the tactic of having him be the lead chaser against their fullback was just about the only thing Eddie got right yesterday, it was the only attacking platform we had!

Unfortunately England didn't have a better 2nd fullback - would have been to have Anthony Watson for this game plan
Good shout for Watson, great feet and causes problems. Has to feature if fit and on form. I’m struggling with Underhill. Brave, gets his head into dark places but sorry, offers nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Amazing how Steward adapted to that really difficult positional change wasn’t it ! 😂
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Thought Smith looked meh yesterday. He only had short passes and kicks in his armoury. Not having a go at him just saying what I saw. Edwards knew what would happen and employed two sweepers to negate it!
Also reckon he knew that Fordy would only get on at the death. Given half hour George may have had some influence!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tykger wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:40 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:23 pm
Offside wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:17 pm Ref said 90 seconds and that he could play out the time on the clock but still needed to be within the 90 even if the clock was dead. If he had gone over the 90 seconds the kick is not taken.
Great game for rugby as a sport.
Josh Adams just given the Italian 15 his man of the match medal. That was class. Giving the 11 a hung when he has tackled him out to save the try was good sportsmanship too.
Fantastic by Adams well done. It has always surprised me that they do motm so early especially in a game where a try for the other side wins it. Jiffy sounded a bit uncertain
If I was the Italian full back I'd have said keep it. It's not Adams job to give out MOM. It's the job of the patronizing arrogant little BBC commentator that made of himself. Adams was trying to save his blushes and take the high ground. Sorry Adams, go sulk..leave the Italians to enjoy their moment of victory
If this is an indication of your posts to come, best all round if you get your coat now.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Having slept on it I agree with a lot of the posts on here. Don’t really want to mention individuals except Smith who seems to split opinion. Didn’t think he was great yesterday, at the moment he strikes me as a poor man’s Quade Cooper, everything has to be done at 100 miles an hour it’s all a bit frantic. Case in point the 2 kicks to touch from penalties for line outs. A player of his quality should be able to to land those within the 5 metres, but he made no real effort it’s as though that will do.
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

Lets face it - Englands selection has been woeful.
Good club players don't make good International players. How long has EJ picked underperforming players at this level.
How much longer are we going to see UTILITY players in roles not suited to their skill sets.
We have a wealth of English selected players who are performing to a very high standard who should at least be given a chance IN THEIR RESPECTED POSITION.
EJ ego is bigger than his capabilities. (With all due respect Sir)

France are building very nicely for the World Cup and I cannot wait to see the Gaelic Flare. Real contenders for me.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Surely, Eddie's day is over. I don't think he knows what he wants, any more than the players do. Too much novelty for novelty's sake, and no consistency in selection. He ignores great players for no apparent reason, and persists with some who can't cut it. Constantly kicking away possession is a recipe for disaster. Yesterday's performance does not bode well for next year's WC.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Still not convinced by Smith. It looks pretty and that it should be threatening but the best defenders can work him out. He doesn’t unlock defences in the way George can and doesn’t read and control the game either. He’s young and skilful and learning, but it remains a big gamble that he’ll actually be ready enough by next autumn. I fear he’ll look good on flat tracks in the meanwhile but remain a show pony.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Grimlish wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:35 am Still not convinced by Smith. It looks pretty and that it should be threatening but the best defenders can work him out. He doesn’t unlock defences in the way George can and doesn’t read and control the game either. He’s young and skilful and learning, but it remains a big gamble that he’ll actually be ready enough by next autumn. I fear he’ll look good on flat tracks in the meanwhile but remain a show pony.
It is the difference between international and club rugby, that style of play just does not translate at all to the international game. If Eddie is going to persist with Smith as the fly half now until the world cup then he might as well just start picking Danny Care again for the next 18 months as they clearly work well with each other and have a good understanding of how to play together and no other 9 is really taking the jersey for themselves currently.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thought Steward was very good,played exactly how he does at FB though. Not really any difference tbf,he has scored a try from out wide at 15 too. Reminded me a lot of Dan Biggar with his kick chase. The back 3 was a complete mess tbh,as was the whole back line. Square pegs and all that
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:04 am Thought Steward was very good,played exactly how he does at FB though. Not really any difference tbf,he has scored a try from out wide at 15 too. Reminded me a lot of Dan Biggar with his kick chase. The back 3 was a complete mess tbh,as was the whole back line. Square pegs and all that
:smt044 yes Steward played exactly how he does at full back, because wing and full back are basically the same thing now. Welcome to 2022, Scott, we got there eventually :smt023
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:27 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:04 am Thought Steward was very good,played exactly how he does at FB though. Not really any difference tbf,he has scored a try from out wide at 15 too. Reminded me a lot of Dan Biggar with his kick chase. The back 3 was a complete mess tbh,as was the whole back line. Square pegs and all that
:smt044 yes Steward played exactly how he does at full back, because wing and full back are basically the same thing now. Welcome to 2022, Scott, we got there eventually :smt023
stands well back……