Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by Louis »

Well, it's good that I am...

{checks notes}

...French?

No, that's wrong. Disappointed. That's what I am. Hell of a French team, mind you. I reckon a team made of nothing but Dupont clones would win everything. Including the cricket.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

can we deport Eddie?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Has anyone thought:
If England winning the World Cup was a disaster for Southern Hemisphere rugby and Australia in particular, what’s the best way of of rectifying that?

Persuade the numpties at the RFU to appoint an Australian coach.

Over perform, reach a World Cup final and then blow the final against a South Africa side whose only chance was to overpower England up front. Pick A loose head who can’t scrummage, get lucky with an early KO and job done.

Then pick a side based around a club side on the slide and a captain who is a stumbling block to the attack. Shoehorn the likes of Daly in regardless of capability and the next four years are secure.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

England don’t know how they want to play- that’s a big problem. Everything is a halfway house. The selection shows no consistency at all. They have been well beaten by France and Ireland. Lost to a poor Scotland team and barely beat wales.

How can the team with more resources than anyone else be so much worse than the best in the world?

How can we tolerate being so far away on a regular basis? Since when were England teams only judged by what they do in world cups?

There are positives for England but none of them are the coaching. We’ve had about our fourth different coaching team under a coach who has been with the team 6 years- how is that sustainable? The defence looks limited- not that anyone would notice as the attack doesn’t really function at all.

Suspect the RFU doesn’t have the money to get rid of Jones but the current team desperately needs some clarity.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Those wanting Jones sacked will be disappointed. He’s not going anywhere and worst of all, be careful what you wish for because who is good enough to sort out this England squad ? I can’t think of an immediate replacement waiting to step in. Green shoots though I think. Randall and Smith have to start. Smith becoming more influential with every game. Marchant very good and Steward sublime, along with Genge.

Daly, Simmonds, Isiekwe, Stuart not good enough. Nowell decent but we need pace.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Offside wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:45 pm How can Ford do anything in 4 minutes?
Lots of strapping on his arm as well...

Not entirely sure what Englands attack is supposed to be......

Genge & Steward have worked really hard & are going to need a bit of managing over the rest of the season. Chessum looks like an International.
Youngs had one of his really poor games.
Ford has had wasted few weeks.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

From a selfish point of few, Steward was good, Genge equally and Youngs steady …no idea what the plan was against a very, very competent French side …we are better than this
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:27 pm Those wanting Jones sacked will be disappointed. He’s not going anywhere and worst of all, be careful what you wish for because who is good enough to sort out this England squad ? I can’t think of an immediate replacement waiting to step in. Green shoots though I think. Randall and Smith have to start. Smith becoming more influential with every game. Marchant very good and Steward sublime, along with Genge.

Daly, Simmonds, Isiekwe, Stuart not good enough. Nowell decent but we need pace.
Don’t disagree about lots of this although I think Simmonds does offer something different. Isiekwe is a fine lineout forward but what else does he give you? Surely England have better option here?
Louis

Post by Louis »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:30 pm
Offside wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:45 pm How can Ford do anything in 4 minutes?
Lots of strapping on his arm as well...

Not entirely sure what Englands attack is supposed to be......

Genge & Steward have worked really hard & are going to need a bit of managing over the rest of the season. Chessum looks like an International.
Youngs had one of his really poor games.
Ford has had wasted few weeks.
I have this (entirely ridiculous) hypothesis that England will win or lose based on how well Ben Youngs does at the anthem. Winning the anthems as a team leads to winning games, but if Ben Youngs has a bit of a face on, England are losing.

Granted, it's pretty bonkers, but no less daft than many other analyses out there.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:27 pm Those wanting Jones sacked will be disappointed. He’s not going anywhere and worst of all, be careful what you wish for because who is good enough to sort out this England squad ? I can’t think of an immediate replacement waiting to step in. Green shoots though I think. Randall and Smith have to start. Smith becoming more influential with every game. Marchant very good and Steward sublime, along with Genge.

I thought Smith was terrible today.

Poor kicking. Kicked much too often to start the game. No game management.

People rave about his hitchkick and him beating players but he so often ends up isolating a teammate when he breaks.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I've just come home having watched the game with my neighbour and haven't read any earlier posts, but that was a fabulous match of rugby which the better side won.
Ok, England came up short, but they gave a reasonable account of themselves against far superior opposition.
From a French point of view, it's building nicely to next year's World Cup, but from an English point of view, I'd be concerned that they won't even qualify for the quarter finals. Eddies's time is clearly up and a new head coach is urgently needed before the summer tour of Australia. Will the RFU act accordingly? No!
It isn't all negative. Genge, Marchant and Steward (who surely needs to be selected as a 15!) were shining lights.
Ben Youngs' England days are surely over, but is Randall the answer? Another no!
Good bye, Eddie!
Semper in excretia
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:33 pm

Don’t disagree about lots of this although I think Simmonds does offer something different. Isiekwe is a fine lineout forward but what else does he give you? Surely England have better option here?
Hill, Launchbury, Tizard, Chessum, Ribbans (if he qualifies?)…Referee got in the way a lot today…I mean, a lot of times Ben turned and there he was, stood in the way. Ridiculous.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:48 pm I've just come home having watched the game with my neighbour and haven't read any earlier posts, but that was a fabulous match of rugby which the better side won.
Ok, England came up short, but they gave a reasonable account of themselves against far superior opposition.
From a French point of view, it's building nicely to next year's World Cup, but from an English point of view, I'd be concerned that they won't even qualify for the quarter finals. Eddies's time is clearly up and a new head coach is urgently needed before the summer tour of Australia. Will the RFU act accordingly? No!
It isn't all negative. Genge, Marchant and Steward (who surely needs to be selected as a 15!) were shining lights.
Ben Youngs' England days are surely over, but is Randall the answer? Another no!
Good bye, Eddie!
England have Argentina and Japan. They’ll get to the quarters.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:08 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:48 pm I've just come home having watched the game with my neighbour and haven't read any earlier posts, but that was a fabulous match of rugby which the better side won.
Good bye, Eddie!
England have Argentina and Japan. They’ll get to the quarters.
Hardly reassuring!
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Steward had his best game yet for England... on the wing. Point proven :smt044

The fact is that France are a better team right now. Regardless of who our head coach is, there aren't many English players who would be able to get in that French XV.

Congrats to the French, hugely impressive team and very talented, but not a hint of arrogance about them. Worthy grand slam champions.