6 Nations 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: 6 Nations 2022

Post by sapajo »

Just hope Jones does not break them in training.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 pm Worth bearing in mind that this is the "36 for the first week of training", not the 36 who EJ thinks are currently the best or the 36 that are most likely to actually feature in the 6N. The likes of Bailey, Freeman and Chessum are likely there just to be assessed in that environment. Maybe they'll really impress and get an opportunity in the 6N.

EJ knows exactly what Ford can and can't do - if he's only going to be 2nd choice at 10 then why not see Bailey in training instead and actually learn something. The squad already has a plethora of options who can cover 10, Ford is not versatile enough to ever get a place on the bench. If Smith was unavailable for the tournament then I'd expect Ford to be in the XV.

Ewels/Wells/Ribbans etc are all fairly similar in terms of ability for me, it comes down to EJ's personal preferences and the specific skillset(s) he wants for his game plan.

Farrell is there primarily for the same reason that Hartley was kept around for so long - leadership. Until EJ feels that Smith/Slade or others are ready to take that mantle, I expect Farrell to be a fixture.

I haven't seen much from Radwan recently to suggest he should be in the squad, to be honest he really needs to move to a bigger club.
Surely Eddie saw the leadership against the worlds best team not so long ago when we won in the last minute?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:52 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am

Better for me! Ewels looks like he goes missing when it matters,that’s one thing Wells certainly doesn’t do!
Still doesn't make Wells an International.
But you have to judge him and compare him to players in the squad
Not arguing that he is better than Ewells, (how he has that many caps is a mystery), just don't think Harry is an International that's all.

From Englands point of view a fit Launchbury can't come quick enough.

Chessum might well be the one to surprise a lot of people outside the Tigers "Bubble", bit of the Parling about him.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm Surely Eddie saw the leadership against the worlds best team not so long ago when we won in the last minute?
You'd have to ask him.

Would I have Farrell in the squad for this 6N? Probably not, but I don't know the personalities of the other 35 and what he adds to that.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:28 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:52 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:36 am

Still doesn't make Wells an International.
But you have to judge him and compare him to players in the squad
Not arguing that he is better than Ewells, (how he has that many caps is a mystery), just don't think Harry is an International that's all.

From Englands point of view a fit Launchbury can't come quick enough.

Chessum might well be the one to surprise a lot of people outside the Tigers "Bubble", bit of the Parling about him.
Love Launchbury,we’ve missed him! Like the Parling comparison 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm Surely Eddie saw the leadership against the worlds best team not so long ago when we won in the last minute?
You'd have to ask him.

Would I have Farrell in the squad for this 6N? Probably not, but I don't know the personalities of the other 35 and what he adds to that.
I’d probably have him covering 10/12 from the bench at a push depending who’s fit but he’s not good enough as a captain or a player to command a starting place for me.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Harry Wells played well enough (Rated 7) in the Canada game last June, What is it that doesn't make him an international player in you mind Wayne Richardson Fan Club?
Edit: Sorry Scott I misread it
Last edited by Qbec on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Qbec wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:51 pm Harry Wells played well enough (Rated 7) in the Canada game last June, What is it that doesn't make him an international player in you mind Scott?
??? Think your are mixed up a tad Qbec 👍
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am Being selfish with Ford confirmed off do we want Ford to get picked for the 6N's anyway?
Not like we can use england as a cravat to keep him now.
Most likely he is going to play out of his skin.

90% sure he will get called up next year anyway.
Is it because he wears it around his neck RB? :smt052
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am Being selfish with Ford confirmed off do we want Ford to get picked for the 6N's anyway?

God just noticed it, I meant carrot.....
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:56 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 pm

God just noticed it, I meant carrot.....
:smt046
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:24 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:22 pm Worth bearing in mind that this is the "36 for the first week of training", not the 36 who EJ thinks are currently the best or the 36 that are most likely to actually feature in the 6N. The likes of Bailey, Freeman and Chessum are likely there just to be assessed in that environment. Maybe they'll really impress and get an opportunity in the 6N.

EJ knows exactly what Ford can and can't do - if he's only going to be 2nd choice at 10 then why not see Bailey in training instead and actually learn something. The squad already has a plethora of options who can cover 10, Ford is not versatile enough to ever get a place on the bench. If Smith was unavailable for the tournament then I'd expect Ford to be in the XV.

Ewels/Wells/Ribbans etc are all fairly similar in terms of ability for me, it comes down to EJ's personal preferences and the specific skillset(s) he wants for his game plan.

Farrell is there primarily for the same reason that Hartley was kept around for so long - leadership. Until EJ feels that Smith/Slade or others are ready to take that mantle, I expect Farrell to be a fixture.

I haven't seen much from Radwan recently to suggest he should be in the squad, to be honest he really needs to move to a bigger club.
Surely Eddie saw the leadership against the worlds best team not so long ago when we won in the last minute?
It was a good win no doubt but shorn of du Toit, Kolbe, Faf, Malherbe and Snyman the Boks aren't the best team in the world. With them they are very close indeed. Among those absentees are (IMO of course) the best winger in the world in Kolbe, best blindside in the world in PSdT, most destructive scrummaging TH in the world (Furlong's a better player but Malherbe an exceptional scrummager) and one of the talismans of their RWC win in Faf.

It was still a good win and I take your point that there are other leaders in the squad. Curry and Itoje for instance really stood up towards the end against the Boks whilst the pack was mostly getting pummeled in the second half. It does need to be noted that the Boks were missing key players though.

Hartley was benched whilst captain. I hope the same happens to Farrell at least against Scotland.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

SA team that beat NZ 31-29 in the RC

15 Willie Le Roux 40'
14 S'busio Nkosi 48'
13 Lukhanyo Am
12 D de Allende
11 Makazole Mapimpi
10 Handre Pollard
9 F De Klerk
1 Ox Nche
2 B Mbonambi
3 Trevor Nyakane
4 E Etzebeth
5 Lood De Jager 51'
6 Siya Kolisi 56'
7 Kwagga Smith
8 Duane Vermeulen
Subs
16 M Marx
17 S Kitshoff
18 V Koch
19 F Mostert 51'
20 Jasper Wiese 56'
21 Hershel Jantjies 48'
22 E Jantjies
23 F Steyn 40'

Team that lost 19-17 to NZ in the RC in a game they should have won

15 Willie Le Roux
14 S'busio Nkosi 35'
13 Lukhanyo Am
12 D de Allende 69'
11 Makazole Mapimpi
10 Handre Pollard
9 F De Klerk 76'
1 Trevor Nyakane 41'
2 B Mbonambi 41'
3 F Malherbe 64'
4 E Etzebeth 55'
5 Lood De Jager
6 Siya Kolisi
7 Kwagga Smith 64'
8 Duane Vermeulen
Subs
16 M Marx 41'
17 S Kitshoff 41'
18 V Koch 64'
19 F Mostert 55'
20 Marco van Staden 64'
21 Hershel Jantjies 76'
22 E Jantjies
23 F Steyn 69'

A few players missing over those 2 games
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"It does need to be noted that the Boks were missing key players though."
How many were we missing and don't forget we lost Manu very early too
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

NZ aren't the same force they were a few years ago. Still very dangerous but their back row in particular is a lot weaker.

England were weakened at hooker (LCD and George), LH (Genge absent and Marler on bench due to isolating until captains run) and winger (Watson, though we are strong there).

So good players absent but IMO not comparable to losing:

- Kolbe who has turned games on his own
- PSdT when he's the best blindside in the game
- Faf, who their game plan has largely been built around
- Malherbe, we saw what his scrummaging can do in the RWC final

It was a good win but as with all performances needs perspective. We were absolutely pummeled for much of the second half.

The Quirke try was terrific to see live (I went ape) but on second look it's a complete fuster cluck from Jantjies (not the best defensive 10) and de Allende miss communicating so both defend the same man. Well taken try but prior to a massive lapse from the opposition on 66 minutes we hadn't scored in the second half and looked nowhere near.