Premiership rugby referees review panel

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Rizzo, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1787
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: Gosport

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Smudge » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:53 pm

Plenty of decisions annoy me but the number of times you see a ball fed into the second row's feet (first offence) and then the officials blow for the opposition's front row (second offence).
A life long Tiger

Wellscity
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:10 am

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Wellscity » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 am

Easily fixed.
As SB has done to Tigers - ref review panel should be getting back to basics.
TMO should be limited to player welfare and then used when called upon by Sir for HIS supported decision making.

Inconsistency is the bane of our game.
Are we seriously allowing NFA style blocking - obviously YES.

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:47 pm
Location: LEICESTER!!

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by baz1664 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 am

Be good if the key contested decisions of the week could be shown on TV and evaluated by an ex ref, Nigel Owens comes to mind, it happens in football and would be interesting to see what a former ref makes of the decisions, would also add some clarity on why the actual ref made the decision.

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:33 am

baz1664 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:08 am
Be good if the key contested decisions of the week could be shown on TV and evaluated by an ex ref, Nigel Owens comes to mind, it happens in football and would be interesting to see what a former ref makes of the decisions, would also add some clarity on why the actual ref made the decision.
Nigel does it on S4C but my knowledge of Welsh isn't up to scratch...
To win is not as important as playing with style!

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:47 pm
Location: LEICESTER!!

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by baz1664 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:37 am

Be nice if they could find him a slot on Rugby Tonight!!

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3735
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by ourla » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 pm

#1 Is there any connection between this thread being started and Tigers losing their first game since last June. Just asking.

#2 Criticism of referee's and especially about consistency is as old day rugby was invented and I very much suspect if you are young enough to visit this forum in 10/20/50 years team it will still be so. I'm not adverse to a bit of discussion about individual decisions to understand why they were made and if something was missed or not but wholesale questioning of refereeing, what's the point?
You're either in or you're out

Pellsey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Pellsey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm

I guess this thread was started because the result of the Wasps' game was defined by incompentent refereeing. Other games were not.

Had the referee been competent, then we would have won. Sure, had we played better etc we also could have won, but this is not the point of this thread.

I somewhat agree with Tigerbeat that public shaming is possibly not the answer due to lessening the appeal of becoming a Sir, but I do not understand the current censorship for players, who are not able to give their opinion on the compentence of the referee.

In the amateur game, it was bad sportsmanship to blame the ref. This is now a professional game, and the consequences are different.

I think there needs to be a far higher level of refereeing in the Premiership, especially. Some of them really need to be kicked out as they really ruin the sport in general, not to mention the enjoyment of the game for both spectators and players. How to get there is the big question!

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7743
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by jgriffin » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm

ourla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 pm
#1 Is there any connection between this thread being started and Tigers losing their first game since last June. Just asking.

#2 Criticism of referee's and especially about consistency is as old day rugby was invented and I very much suspect if you are young enough to visit this forum in 10/20/50 years team it will still be so. I'm not adverse to a bit of discussion about individual decisions to understand why they were made and if something was missed or not but wholesale questioning of refereeing, what's the point?
1 consistency by refs
2 allowing play contrary to either laws or spirit of the game via ' interpretation'
For me those are the issues. Feeding, diving and blocking seem to be allowed to provide a more attractive TV spectacle.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

peteD
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:06 pm
Location: York

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by peteD » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:29 pm

ourla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 pm
#1 Is there any connection between this thread being started and Tigers losing their first game since last June. Just asking.
A loss always increases the focus on decisions, a victory despite the ref is far easier to forget!

#2 Criticism of referee's and especially about consistency is as old day rugby was invented and I very much suspect if you are young enough to visit this forum in 10/20/50 years team it will still be so. I'm not adverse to a bit of discussion about individual decisions to understand why they were made and if something was missed or not but wholesale questioning of refereeing, what's the point?
Referee’s decisions will always be questioned and who wants a sport that has the subjective elements removed to be overly clinical. I think most peoples issue is that the result of an incident can be interpreted differently not only between referees but also within a game.
As we move into a professional era we have new expectations and not just from referees. We expect players to be fitter, better decision makers under pressure, more consistent week in week out.
Is it wrong to ask the same of the officials?

Pellsey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Pellsey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:36 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm
ourla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 pm
#1 Is there any connection between this thread being started and Tigers losing their first game since last June. Just asking.

#2 Criticism of referee's and especially about consistency is as old day rugby was invented and I very much suspect if you are young enough to visit this forum in 10/20/50 years team it will still be so. I'm not adverse to a bit of discussion about individual decisions to understand why they were made and if something was missed or not but wholesale questioning of refereeing, what's the point?
1 consistency by refs
2 allowing play contrary to either laws or spirit of the game via ' interpretation'
For me those are the issues. Feeding, diving and blocking seem to be allowed to provide a more attractive TV spectacle.
This is also true. If referees were consistant, then decisions are easier to stomoch however right or wrong, because this is the consensus. Actually following the laws of the game more than the consensus would be preferred!

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6284
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Tigerbeat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:48 pm

baz1664 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:37 am
Be nice if they could find him a slot on Rugby Tonight!!
Wayne Barnes has done some bits on BT Sport Rugby Tonight shows previously.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6284
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Tigerbeat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:52 pm

Pellsey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm
, but I do not understand the current censorship for players, who are not able to give their opinion on the compentence of the referee.
I believe that it is called respect, something that is not shown in some other sports. There are channels of communications that can be used to interact with the officials both on and off the field.
The Coaches have an opportunity to hand any notes to the fourth official at half time, managing the Subs, etc, and they are passed over to the officials and taken on board.
Coaches are not allowed to go into the Officials room at half time to air any queries.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3735
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by ourla » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:08 pm

Pellsey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm
I guess this thread was started because the result of the Wasps' game was defined by incompentent refereeing. Other games were not.
So it wasn't defined by us butchering a couple of line outs, or by Genge losing his head, or because we kept going for scrums rather than a 5m line out, or because we were bit underpowered in the back row (partly because Weise got stupid yellow cards), or because Wasps actually put up a bit of a fight in the second half. No, none of this. We lost because of a referee who has taken charge of 130 top flight rugby matches. Right.
Pellsey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm
I think there needs to be a far higher level of refereeing in the Premiership, especially. Some of them really need to be kicked out as they really ruin the sport in general, not to mention the enjoyment of the game for both spectators and players.
Yes, because there are dozens of far more competent referee's just waiting to take their place.
You're either in or you're out

ourla
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3735
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by ourla » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:12 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:26 pm
1 consistency by refs
2 allowing play contrary to either laws or spirit of the game via ' interpretation'
But it's regularly stated that the laws are complex and require interpretation. Do you disagree?
You're either in or you're out

Pellsey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1142
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: Luxembourg

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Pellsey » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:44 pm

ourla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:08 pm
Pellsey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm
I guess this thread was started because the result of the Wasps' game was defined by incompentent refereeing. Other games were not.
So it wasn't defined by us butchering a couple of line outs, or by Genge losing his head, or because we kept going for scrums rather than a 5m line out, or because we were bit underpowered in the back row (partly because Weise got stupid yellow cards), or because Wasps actually put up a bit of a fight in the second half. No, none of this. We lost because of a referee who has taken charge of 130 top flight rugby matches. Right.
Pellsey wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:21 pm
I think there needs to be a far higher level of refereeing in the Premiership, especially. Some of them really need to be kicked out as they really ruin the sport in general, not to mention the enjoyment of the game for both spectators and players.
Yes, because there are dozens of far more competent referee's just waiting to take their place.
Please read the rest of my post. I also said "had we played better, we could have also won."

And yes, I agree with you regarding your second point, as I also said in my post. The problem is that there are few better, which is really worrying. There needs to be a far higher standard, and in order to get that, better training and more consistancy is needed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest