Premiership rugby referees review panel

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Pmvl »

I understand that there is a premiership rugby referees review panel every week after the games have been played, can anyone inform me what actually goes off in these meetings? Is there ever any reports come out?
BTW this is not sour grapes, I've watched quite a bit of rugby over the years & referees are as much of the game as the players & coaching staff, every referee sees things differently but there is NO CONSISTENCY, players & coaches have to play by the rules & have standards which the referees are supposed to uphold, but not the refs, if the sport we all love is to continue to flourish even in these troubled times surely the refs must also have a minimum standard, results can lead to dramatic losses to clubs once the relegation / promotion returns.
According to the internet they are paid quite well with a retainer of between £38500.00 — £42000.00 per year with match fees of £1150.00 per game plus expenses, so the renumeration is not to be sniffed at.
Tigerbeat

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Tigerbeat »

All the games are reviewed each week and feedback is given to all the officials. This is like an appraisal so the discussions ae not made public but are to be used for development and improvement and also game management.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

If referees are deemed to not uphold the required standard, they should be named and shamed. Perhaps that would ensure that refs are on the ball more, after they have performed badly.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:47 pm If referees are deemed to not uphold the required standard, they should be named and shamed. Perhaps that would ensure that refs are on the ball more, after they have performed badly.
Disagree in naming and shaming. It is bad enough for them to be judged by x thousand supporters. Naming and shaming will not encourage but detract people from taking up reffing. Working with them is the best way forward and if they do not meet the standards they are either released of dropped to the Championship.
Working with them in private is the only way that they will develop and gain confidence.
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:55 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:47 pm If referees are deemed to not uphold the required standard, they should be named and shamed. Perhaps that would ensure that refs are on the ball more, after they have performed badly.
Disagree in naming and shaming. It is bad enough for them to be judged by x thousand supporters. Naming and shaming will not encourage but detract people from taking up reffing. Working with them is the best way forward and if they do not meet the standards they are either released of dropped to the Championship.
Working with them in private is the only way that they will develop and gain confidence.
Agree 100% Tigerbeat. It's a tough job already and I don't think critiquing them in public via official report will help anything. There's already too many coaches questioning officiating decisions in the media.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think it would be useful for coaches to be able to send clips and questions for those reviews as the system needs challenge but the feedback would be general to all coaches. For example, Tigers could send in the clips of the scrums and penalties and ask why the penalties got “zeroed” and what would be required for a penalty try and the findings would be sent to all coaches. The IRB laws site has links to international game recordings of the play that is an example of infringements, as an example. If the review is done by other refs only then they may just be agreement that all is OK.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Offside wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:06 pm I think it would be useful for coaches to be able to send clips and questions for those reviews as the system needs challenge but the feedback would be general to all coaches. For example, Tigers could send in the clips of the scrums and penalties and ask why the penalties got “zeroed” and what would be required for a penalty try and the findings would be sent to all coaches. The IRB laws site has links to international game recordings of the play that is an example of infringements, as an example. If the review is done by other refs only then they may just be agreement that all is OK.
The clubs have an official line of communication if they want to query decisions to understand why it was made. The Premiership clubs have been known to have premiership referees attend training sessions in order to understand how new variations of laws will be applied.
www.matthampson.co.uk
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Would public naming and shaming help you do your job better, Dangerous? Or would it lead you to seek out a different career?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think it's fair enough venting here on a forum about decisions, but needs to still be controlled (Think Tigerbeat and any other mods do a pretty good job on here)

However parading ref in the public is ridiculous, we may as well start hurling rotten veg at them while we're at it 😉
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The laws of the game are very intricate several changes have been made over the years. It is only human nature that some of the laws are not always applied, not through intent but because the situation chages quickly.
An example, if you have taken your driving test could you get all questions correct on the highway code. I know I would get a few wrong…..similar to refs and the laws.
As they say, have a go if you think you could do better. The game is always on the lookout for up and coming referees.
www.matthampson.co.uk
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Regardless of all suggestions on here, and I believe criticism should remain out of the public domain, inescapably true that some refs are far better than others. We were unlucky to combine a poor performance with being overseen one of the less able reffing teams. Often, refs can be played out if the game, but in this case we were too poor to do this. To pretend that refs are beyond criticism, sorry, that may be the case until you reach pro ranks but pro refs should be consistent with each other and in the nature of decisions. They tend to manage with the head contacts but fail miserably IMO to regulate side entry to rucks, scrums and offside.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:54 pm I think it's fair enough venting here on a forum about decisions, but needs to still be controlled (Think Tigerbeat and any other mods do a pretty good job on here)

However parading ref in the public is ridiculous, we may as well start hurling rotten veg at them while we're at it 😉
Tinned? 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Bet Dickson's feedback is entertaining.....

They are professionals (Not just an English problem) the standard should be better overall, the fact that it isn't is a worry as it does affect games not only potentially the results, but the actual game as a spectacle. Worryingly a lot of the issues are to do with the TMO, not an issue just for rugby with some of the recent VAR shockers seen in the Wendyball.

Maybe if Wayne follows Nigel into more punditry we might get a better insight.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The issue of consistency in rugby is as much to do with what is allowed and what isn’t rather than an interpretation of the law.

For example earlier this year we have seen the lifting of the leg in the maul allowed one week and then disallowed the next. Other examples include the quick tap from a scrum (vs Wasps), pulling players from the maul, tackled players getting to their feet without releasing the ball. These are all laws that are not applied consistently.

Other aspects of the game may be agreed upon but subject to the interpretation of the ref- breakdown for example.

I get so annoyed when refs don’t appear to know what the laws are not just how they are applied.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Well I would suggest that the referees assessment procedure is not working as there is no improvement in a number of referees performances and there appears to be no accountability for incorrect decisions on the pitch. In addition to this the differing refereeing interpretations from week to week is totally unacceptable.
A2O