Premiership rugby referees review panel

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership rugby referees review panel

Post by Old Hob »

The NFL in the US has multiple referees, lots of slo-mo replay and they still find decisions to argue about. I agree with John the G and I really don't want to go further down the soccer route. There has been a pushback by refs, I think, on lip/backchat. We were moved 5 metres on Sunday. Something that was lacking in recent seasons.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The main point of the review is surely whether this is improving the standard of refereeing. I honestly don’t think that it is.
A2O
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

BengalTiger wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:22 am We should all start from the premise that the refs are all doing their level best and they have no bias, we might not agree on their view on certain incidents but it is a view and the only one that really counts.

The game is dynamic and some refs handle a pressure situation well others get caught up in the situation and do not behave as well as they could, (Foley moving to the other side of the last scrum on Sat was an example of this, he removed himself from having to make that critical call, so took the pressure off himself), he is still a top ref, people want perfection but some of us remember refs called Lander and Lacy so are a bit more forgiving!
The point about the dynamism is one that needs to be borne in mind for those who constantly cry “all I want is consistency”! The reality is a rugby match comprises of countless micro-events happening simultaneously and therefore no two incidences are ever identical. That’s why matches are refereed by interpretation of laws, not a simplistic application of rules. Every single ruck, scrum, line out, tackle is a unique occurrence….and I have immense respect for every referee who steps across the line to do an incredibly difficult and complex job. And yes, I include Tom Foley and Karl Dickson and all the elderly referees who turn up at junior games and forget that the rules have changed since 1970! Of course they all make mistakes, have good, bad and indifferent days - just as players do, even the very best in the world. As do, dare I say it, every one of us here in our day jobs - I know I had an absolute stinker yesterday.

Personally I’d love to see a refereeing version of the WR halftime Big Boot….with anyone who thinks they can do a better job than Karl Dickson handed the whistle for 10 mins and told “off you go”! I can guarantee the game would descend into the sort of chaos we see every halftime at WR - a hapless stag do crew staggering around comically chasing shadows and falling flat on their faces.

I’ll sign off with a link to follow for anyone who thinks refereeing is an easy job. Sign up for a course, get involved, keep junior rugby alive https://keepyourbootson.co.uk/rfu-courses/
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Don’t understand why a professional well paid referee still makes incorrect decisions even after seeing a replay multiple times on the big screen.
A2O
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I think the TMO at the weekend putting his 10 pence in for minor infringements mainly against Tigers that they even got wrong just exacerbated the view on Foleys performance. I think the RFU need to really stream line what TMO’s can raise during games. The consistency in TMO’s involvement in games goes from constant to nothing at all or just when asked by the ref.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:02 am Don’t understand why a professional well paid referee still makes incorrect decisions even after seeing a replay multiple times on the big screen.
Thats my point too! I can excuse a 50/50 in a quick game but there's ZERO excuse to get anything wrong with multiple views from different angles. That's shockingly poor at this elite level
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

:smt023
A2O
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:02 am Don’t understand why a professional well paid referee still makes incorrect decisions even after seeing a replay multiple times on the big screen.
It's hard to argue with that but I think the examples are rarer than many might think (once you strip away all the "incorrect" decisions that are basically just a subjective view or interpretation of the laws). The one example from Saturday was the one mentioned earlier where we got penalised for a deliberate knock on when a Wasp player had nudged it first. I don't recall any others - just people questioning the referee's judgement which is not the same thing.

I've actually seem more/worse examples with VAR in football.