CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by Scott1 »

Watched the highlights,can’t wait to watch the game in full. I might be allowed an opinion then 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm Watched the highlights,can’t wait to watch the game in full. I might be allowed an opinion then 😂
I wouldn’t count on it :smt048
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Offside wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm Watched the highlights,can’t wait to watch the game in full. I might be allowed an opinion then 😂
I wouldn’t count on it :smt048
😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Just watched the post match interviews on YouTube. What a thoroughly decent and humble chap Saumaki seems to be. Delighted for him to be the hero on such a dreadful day for Tonga :smt049
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

nope if you don't watch live your view is tainted and not to be listened to :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just watched the full match.. better late than never and better when you don't know the score! What a rollercoaster that was. Classic game of 3 (unequal) thirds! :smt002 Cracking first 10, incredible last 25 and the less said about the middle 45 minutes the better!

Absolutely outstanding performance by the lads once again. I wasn't convinced when I saw the team sheet that we would come away with a win, let alone a 5 pointer but I am happy to say I was wrong :smt023

First try, all about the forwards and keeping it tight. Second try, Burns with an inch perfect cross field kick and Kini with a great finish. 10-0, 10 minutes played.. easy as you like.

Then 45 minutes of ill discipline, unforced errors, silly offsides and a bit of 'Tigers of the last few seasons' type play. The only plus really in this 55 minutes of play was that our maul defense and scrum were very solid. Oh and the bulldozing 'knocking them down like skittles' run by Kini on in the 29th minute.. loved that! Butchered a couple of chances; Burns with a terrible pass to a Connacht player when we had an overlap, Scott chucking a pass straight into touch, Dolly with a clear as day not straight at the lineout 5m out.. 3 golden chances all butchered. Penalty count was really a killer here.. think we were on about 14 if I heard rightly after about 50 minutes which is just dire.

Then came the 25 minutes or so of brilliance. Tigers 3rd try.. wow, absolutely incredible. Near length of the field team try.. will take some beating for try of the weekend! And the 5th try.. well.. another last minute winner. Tigers don't lie down. Credit to Aled and co.. these lads are the fittest I reckon they've ever been and are all in great shape. Great pass by Kelly (or maybe Burns) to Saumaki and what a good finish. Not sure there is a more likeable player at Tigers so I am so pleased for him that he got the winning score. So humble and a true professional. Crowd boo'ing at the end but I am sure when they all see the replays everyone will agree that his foot was never in touch and it was a great finish (maybe Kitt might have found a reason to rule it out but not these officials!)

So basically.. we score 10, then they score 28 unanswered points then we score 19 to win it by 1 point at the death.. bizarre old game!

Thought the officials had a decent game. Missed a few bits but were consistent throughout and got the big decisions correct for me.

Thought the bench made a huge difference. Clare, Kelly and Saumaki all had big impacts when they came on.

MOTM was Wiese but with Reffell a close second for me. He was everywhere and gave 100% as always. Wiese was immense though and it shows what having a true 8 gives us. We have missed his carries and his brute force. Had he not been suspended against Wasps I say we win that and remain unbeaten.. but let's let that one rest hey!

Great performances today by Wiese, Reffell, Heyes, Genge, Murimurivalu and Kelly. Saumaki played well when he came on, as did Clare. I prefer Hegarty at 10 but I did like the Burns/Hegarty link up during that game.

If Ford and Steward both get called up during the 6N (Ford unlikely I know) I would go 10. Hegarty 15. Murimurivalu so would like to see Hegarty start at 10 vs Bordeaux. That being said I really liked having Kini on the wing today. I thought he was incredible and given he can play 11-15 and technically now back row too I really hope we hang on to him.

We were ahead for about 28 minutes of that game and we were thoroughly average for about 45 minutes but somehow, away to Connacht we have come home with the full 5 points. Massive win, hats off to the lads.. great result and onwards we go...
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Again what a difference a week makes!
Some fans have mentioned the guarantee of a home tie but The Champions’ Cup isn’t organised like this for this season: this is why SB has most likely used these early matches to give all squad players game time.

Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16 (1st leg) and Challenge Cup Round 5 – 8/9/10 April 2022
Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16 (2nd leg) and Challenge Cup Round of 16 – 15/16/17 April 2022

“The eight highest-ranked clubs from each pool will qualify for the knockout stage which will consist of a Round of 16 on a home and away basis, quarter-finals and semi-finals, with the final in Marseille on 28 May 2022.”
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm Again what a difference a week makes!
Some fans have mentioned the guarantee of a home tie but The Champions’ Cup isn’t organised like this for this season: this is why SB has most likely used these early matches to give all squad players game time.

Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16 (1st leg) and Challenge Cup Round 5 – 8/9/10 April 2022
Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16 (2nd leg) and Challenge Cup Round of 16 – 15/16/17 April 2022

“The eight highest-ranked clubs from each pool will qualify for the knockout stage which will consist of a Round of 16 on a home and away basis, quarter-finals and semi-finals, with the final in Marseille on 28 May 2022.”
See separate thread :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://youtu.be/7mpZYNRraQc

My goodness Saumaki knows how to do an emotional post match interview.

The fact he went out there and did that today after trying and failing to contact his family in Tonga is incredible.

I really hope and pray that his family are all ok!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:00 pm https://youtu.be/7mpZYNRraQc

My goodness Saumaki knows how to do an emotional post match interview.

The fact he went out there and did that today after trying and failing to contact his family in Tonga is incredible.

I really hope and pray that his family are all ok!
+1 🙏
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

Offside wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:42 pm Posts during the game are streams of consciousness and not going to be balanced. If you do not like them then don’t read them. Posts after full time can be more balanced.
This is the post of the day for me. During the game we all ride the roller coaster differently depending upon how the game is going and whether we are at the game, watching on TV, listening to the radio or following social media updates. I think it's ok to be following the game in some sort of live capacity and react accordingly. It's also ok to not be able to follow the game live and catch up afterwards, but please don't turn up at full time having seen the final score and with hindsight slag off those who actually followed the game and expressed various negative thoughts during the game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DaveRave wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:14 pm
Offside wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:42 pm Posts during the game are streams of consciousness and not going to be balanced. If you do not like them then don’t read them. Posts after full time can be more balanced.
This is the post of the day for me. During the game we all ride the roller coaster differently depending upon how the game is going and whether we are at the game, watching on TV, listening to the radio or following social media updates. I think it's ok to be following the game in some sort of live capacity and react accordingly. It's also ok to not be able to follow the game live and catch up afterwards, but please don't turn up at full time having seen the final score and with hindsight slag off those who actually followed the game and expressed various negative thoughts during the game.
Great post! Especially the part about the emotional rollercoaster. I didn’t watch it live but kept up to date with the live scoring and read every post on here and that still had me up and down! I don’t like the one or two who say you’re not allowed an opinion just because you didn’t watch it live. Nonsense!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Just watched the game. We play to the whistle, Aled Walters take a bow. Got very scrappy, but we never stopped trying. Just need to cut out the needless penalties and string some.phasea together in the middle of the game!!
I think the key thing about Bundi Aki having a go at the ref at the was that the ref said to him "you watch the replay, and when you see its not on the line, you apologise" he then walked off. So Refs probably happy with the apology now.

Also I don't think Genge is an ego thing. I reckon he might just be trying a bit to hard after the whole Bristol video and everyone getting on his back. He probably just wants to prove he's all in with us until the end. Also probably realises this will be his best chance of winning the league!! 😉
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ads wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 pm Also I don't think Genge is an ego thing. I reckon he might just be trying a bit to hard after the whole Bristol video and everyone getting on his back. He probably just wants to prove he's all in with us until the end. Also probably realises this will be his best chance of winning the league!! 😉
I think this was it... maybe trying too hard! Actually, I think this was, in certain stages of the game, true of the whole team, apart from in the last few minutes. And as you mentioned, ads, Alex Walters, take a bow. We are now an 85(!!) minute team.

A title-winning team can play with a lessened perfomance and still win with grit. In this regards, we are on the right path. Better, less error-strewn performances would be nice though!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

We only conceded 10 penalties….it felt like double that watching on tv
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.