CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Deano & Paddys Tigers teams blended the forward & backs play, yes we had a bludgeon of a pack but the backs made use of that to score, it wasn't a 1m drive that won the European Final in Paris. The oft quoted DNA of Tigers, is rather misleading. (When I first started watching we really didn't have a pack, we had a back row)

The backline still looks a bit of a work in progress at the moment, but they are a tad underemployed at times.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Quins have hit the sweet spot over the last 12 months.

We perhaps don't have the backline offload game to match right now but our pack probably edges theirs.

Regarding pens - some pens are inevitable, even necessary - but I do think there are a few we could eliminate right now without impacting our overall performance.

These small gains are what ultimately will be the difference between semi's or actually winning trophies.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Dumb individual penalties need erdicating but they will always happen at some point.

Team penalties in your own 22 are inevitable and part of the game. You just hope that you don't have to give away too many before the oppositions mucks up or the ref puts his hand in his pocket!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Penalties don't always = bad.

Take the one given away by Hougaard in the Wasps game on their line to slow the ball down, followed by all the penalties in the scrum on their line. All try saving penalties, all much better than letting Tigers walk over their line. If they'd given away zero penalties, they would have lost the game.

On the other hand, giving away a penalty on the halfway line while under no pressure gifts territory to the opposition which usually leads to conceding points.

It's all about the context.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm Interesting listening to Connacht podcast all talked about how the tigers attack changed a lot when Hegarty moved to 10 more in the last 20 minutes.
I have watched the 2nd half twice now. With Hegarty at 10 and FreddieB at 15 the Tigers sorted themselves out. The impact of Kelly and Clare was also a big factor in the 'go forward'. I thought Dolly and Socino were not at their best. Above all else the benign conditions must have been in the Tigers favour. Having watched other sides play there in the Atlantic gales, only Connacht know how to deal with it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerCam wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm Interesting listening to Connacht podcast all talked about how the tigers attack changed a lot when Hegarty moved to 10 more in the last 20 minutes.
I have watched the 2nd half twice now. With Hegarty at 10 and FreddieB at 15 the Tigers sorted themselves out. The impact of Kelly and Clare was also a big factor in the 'go forward'. I thought Dolly and Socino were not at their best. Above all else the benign conditions must have been in the Tigers favour. Having watched other sides play there in the Atlantic gales, only Connacht know how to deal with it.
Much prefer Hegarty at 10 and Burns at 15
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:50 pm
+1
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:50 pm
I think Hegarty is probably (at the moment) better at both 10 & 15 than Burns, though they are very different types of players.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Burns offered a bit of spark with his kicking game. Exploring the space created by the full backs retreating to prevent the 50:22 kicks (ok only 1 full back on each side but a fly half or wing was, for both sides, dropping back alongside the full back.) Had a much better game than his comeback game after injury.