CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by anz3001 »

ads wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 am Did Benny Kaiser keep saying Dom Kelly or is it just his accent?
He did, first time I thought it was his accent but no, it was definitely Dom
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:28 pm
ads wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 am Did Benny Kaiser keep saying Dom Kelly or is it just his accent?
A couple of Jaco Wiese in there as well.

Kayser is one of the better pundits floating about though. I'll take someone who actually adds some insight but forgets a first name from time to time!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Yeah he's a very good pundit, and seems a great bloke. Would be happy to listen to him more.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:43 pm Just watched the full match.. better late than never and better when you don't know the score! What a rollercoaster that was. Classic game of 3 (unequal) thirds! :smt002 Cracking first 10, incredible last 25 and the less said about the middle 45 minutes the better!

Absolutely outstanding performance by the lads once again. I wasn't convinced when I saw the team sheet that we would come away with a win, let alone a 5 pointer but I am happy to say I was wrong :smt023

First try, all about the forwards and keeping it tight. Second try, Burns with an inch perfect cross field kick and Kini with a great finish. 10-0, 10 minutes played.. easy as you like.

Then 45 minutes of ill discipline, unforced errors, silly offsides and a bit of 'Tigers of the last few seasons' type play. The only plus really in this 55 minutes of play was that our maul defense and scrum were very solid. Oh and the bulldozing 'knocking them down like skittles' run by Kini on in the 29th minute.. loved that! Butchered a couple of chances; Burns with a terrible pass to a Connacht player when we had an overlap, Scott chucking a pass straight into touch, Dolly with a clear as day not straight at the lineout 5m out.. 3 golden chances all butchered. Penalty count was really a killer here.. think we were on about 14 if I heard rightly after about 50 minutes which is just dire.

Then came the 25 minutes or so of brilliance. Tigers 3rd try.. wow, absolutely incredible. Near length of the field team try.. will take some beating for try of the weekend! And the 5th try.. well.. another last minute winner. Tigers don't lie down. Credit to Aled and co.. these lads are the fittest I reckon they've ever been and are all in great shape. Great pass by Kelly (or maybe Burns) to Saumaki and what a good finish. Not sure there is a more likeable player at Tigers so I am so pleased for him that he got the winning score. So humble and a true professional. Crowd boo'ing at the end but I am sure when they all see the replays everyone will agree that his foot was never in touch and it was a great finish (maybe Kitt might have found a reason to rule it out but not these officials!)

So basically.. we score 10, then they score 28 unanswered points then we score 19 to win it by 1 point at the death.. bizarre old game!

Thought the officials had a decent game. Missed a few bits but were consistent throughout and got the big decisions correct for me.

Thought the bench made a huge difference. Clare, Kelly and Saumaki all had big impacts when they came on.

MOTM was Wiese but with Reffell a close second for me. He was everywhere and gave 100% as always. Wiese was immense though and it shows what having a true 8 gives us. We have missed his carries and his brute force. Had he not been suspended against Wasps I say we win that and remain unbeaten.. but let's let that one rest hey!

Great performances today by Wiese, Reffell, Heyes, Genge, Murimurivalu and Kelly. Saumaki played well when he came on, as did Clare. I prefer Hegarty at 10 but I did like the Burns/Hegarty link up during that game.

If Ford and Steward both get called up during the 6N (Ford unlikely I know) I would go 10. Hegarty 15. Murimurivalu so would like to see Hegarty start at 10 vs Bordeaux. That being said I really liked having Kini on the wing today. I thought he was incredible and given he can play 11-15 and technically now back row too I really hope we hang on to him.

We were ahead for about 28 minutes of that game and we were thoroughly average for about 45 minutes but somehow, away to Connacht we have come home with the full 5 points. Massive win, hats off to the lads.. great result and onwards we go...
Agree with all of this, spot analysis of the game 👍🏻
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

nicmattyg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:33 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:43 pm Just watched the full match.. better late than never and better when you don't know the score! What a rollercoaster that was. Classic game of 3 (unequal) thirds! :smt002 Cracking first 10, incredible last 25 and the less said about the middle 45 minutes the better!

Absolutely outstanding performance by the lads once again. I wasn't convinced when I saw the team sheet that we would come away with a win, let alone a 5 pointer but I am happy to say I was wrong :smt023

First try, all about the forwards and keeping it tight. Second try, Burns with an inch perfect cross field kick and Kini with a great finish. 10-0, 10 minutes played.. easy as you like.

Then 45 minutes of ill discipline, unforced errors, silly offsides and a bit of 'Tigers of the last few seasons' type play. The only plus really in this 55 minutes of play was that our maul defense and scrum were very solid. Oh and the bulldozing 'knocking them down like skittles' run by Kini on in the 29th minute.. loved that! Butchered a couple of chances; Burns with a terrible pass to a Connacht player when we had an overlap, Scott chucking a pass straight into touch, Dolly with a clear as day not straight at the lineout 5m out.. 3 golden chances all butchered. Penalty count was really a killer here.. think we were on about 14 if I heard rightly after about 50 minutes which is just dire.

Then came the 25 minutes or so of brilliance. Tigers 3rd try.. wow, absolutely incredible. Near length of the field team try.. will take some beating for try of the weekend! And the 5th try.. well.. another last minute winner. Tigers don't lie down. Credit to Aled and co.. these lads are the fittest I reckon they've ever been and are all in great shape. Great pass by Kelly (or maybe Burns) to Saumaki and what a good finish. Not sure there is a more likeable player at Tigers so I am so pleased for him that he got the winning score. So humble and a true professional. Crowd boo'ing at the end but I am sure when they all see the replays everyone will agree that his foot was never in touch and it was a great finish (maybe Kitt might have found a reason to rule it out but not these officials!)

So basically.. we score 10, then they score 28 unanswered points then we score 19 to win it by 1 point at the death.. bizarre old game!

Thought the officials had a decent game. Missed a few bits but were consistent throughout and got the big decisions correct for me.

Thought the bench made a huge difference. Clare, Kelly and Saumaki all had big impacts when they came on.

MOTM was Wiese but with Reffell a close second for me. He was everywhere and gave 100% as always. Wiese was immense though and it shows what having a true 8 gives us. We have missed his carries and his brute force. Had he not been suspended against Wasps I say we win that and remain unbeaten.. but let's let that one rest hey!

Great performances today by Wiese, Reffell, Heyes, Genge, Murimurivalu and Kelly. Saumaki played well when he came on, as did Clare. I prefer Hegarty at 10 but I did like the Burns/Hegarty link up during that game.

If Ford and Steward both get called up during the 6N (Ford unlikely I know) I would go 10. Hegarty 15. Murimurivalu so would like to see Hegarty start at 10 vs Bordeaux. That being said I really liked having Kini on the wing today. I thought he was incredible and given he can play 11-15 and technically now back row too I really hope we hang on to him.

We were ahead for about 28 minutes of that game and we were thoroughly average for about 45 minutes but somehow, away to Connacht we have come home with the full 5 points. Massive win, hats off to the lads.. great result and onwards we go...
Agree with all of this, spot analysis of the game 👍🏻
Love Oakhams breakdowns
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

ads wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:48 pm Yeah he's a very good pundit, and seems a great bloke. Would be happy to listen to him more.
He didn’t say “look at that” once :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Murimurivalu (did I get that right?) also got an interesting pronunciation.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:34 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 am
Scuttle wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:25 am A stat put up during the game yesterday showed us having the 3rd highest penalty count per game in the Premiership at 12.9. I didn't take on who was higher in the time the stat was up, but 2nd and 1st were 13 and 14 point

Saints and Newcastle I think it was.
Thanks
I thought it was Saints and Bath. Didn’t think Bath were good enough to commit a penalty offence effectively, but there you go!
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

ads wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:48 pm Yeah he's a very good pundit, and seems a great bloke. Would be happy to listen to him more.
Agree completely with you,he also uttered a line i thought i would never here from a BT pundit and it was "the referee is always right",please can we have more from Ben which could only be good for our sport as opposed to Austin ( me me ) Healey who is'nt
Louis

Post by Louis »

I think my heart rate has just lowered below 300.

One point.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:11 pm
Murimurivalu (did I get that right?) also got an interesting pronunciation.
Seemed to know how to start saying it, just didn't how to stop.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Saw a few Tigers supporters in the crowd. How did they get in given the restrictions, unless locals? Did anyone make the trip?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 am Saw a few Tigers supporters in the crowd. How did they get in given the restrictions, unless locals? Did anyone make the trip?
Heye’s Irish side of the family were wearing Leicester gear
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 am Saw a few Tigers supporters in the crowd. How did they get in given the restrictions, unless locals? Did anyone make the trip?
Some people already had travel planned and decided to go for a break rather than lose money. There was a Connacht fan who came on the forum offering 2 tickets. I also know of others who have family and friends in Ireland that were ticket holders but could not make it so passed tickets on.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Three of us had planned to go but given the restrictions and the bars shutting a 20:00 it sort of spoilt the event for us. Lost the £40 airfare - hey-ho :smt010
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat