Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:20 pm
LittleBigG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:19 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 pm Big shout for Kini. Our most under- rated player ?
I really do want to see a back three of Nandolo, Kini, and Saumaki at least once this season - who is the most irritating 10 in the premiership who they can repeatedly trample? 😁
Wow, never thought of that back 3 !!!
There is a queue of 10s......Biggar, Smith, Jackson etc
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Connacht ran out of gas, when you consider we only made 2 changes to our pack (Manz, Whitcombe & Van Wyk all unused on the bench) our pack have incredible engines
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Showed the value of a balanced pack with a ball winning 7 and a monster carrier at 8.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Still can’t quite believe that. We just got stronger and stronger as the game went on. Fitness told there and the likes of Kelly and Burns really stepped up I thought. Not sure on the scrum penalties against us as we clearly had the edge there. This team never gives up. Awesome win but still concerned about the penalty count
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:20 pm

I really do want to see a back three of Nandolo, Kini, and Saumaki at least once this season - who is the most irritating 10 in the premiership who they can repeatedly trample? 😁
Wow, never thought of that back 3 !!!
There is a queue of 10s......Biggar, Smith, Jackson etc
Jackson surely has to top the list, make sure Wiese is fit and not banned for that game and set him to "kill"...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 pm Big shout for Kini. Our most under- rated player ?
Dan.......somebody......plays for Saints, I think.
Nope Paddy at Irish.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pm Aled Walters and Co have definitely got this squad fit!
It's been generally evident for a long time now but the difference in the last 10 or so mins then was probably the widest I've seen between us and any other team we've played. Connacht were out on their feet and happy to kick kick and kick again with very little kick chase towards the end, like a heavyweight boxer on the ropes, trying to grab and hold on to see the round out.

Maybe that was SB's overall strategy for this game :smt002 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I agree LittleBigG, I would add to that Bryce Hegarty at fly half with JVP at scrum half.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

During 6N? Then we can avoid the 'Harsh on Steward' debate :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:12 pm You're all used to this by now....

But

It's............Remy time! :smt026 :smt026
That reminds me... Must buy some shares in Remy Cointreau. I can see their profits increasing weekly :smt002
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigers looked rusty in phase play but with Freddie having next to no game time at 10 that’s not surprising. Having said that the pass at the end was superb and he grew into the game really nicely.

Kelly and Clare made a big difference- Dolly’s lineout work let him down a few times and Kelly stopped their drift defence effectively. Muri was excellent going forward but poor in his defensive positioning. Saumaki’s finish outstanding.

Our fitness is the best I’ve seen for a long long time. We just get stronger as the other team wilt.

Amazing mentality to fight until the end like that. Never know when we are beaten. It’s becoming our signature. Tigers never say die.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LittleBigG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:22 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:19 pm Never say die attitude gets it home, a display not to remember but a few individual bits of magic gets the win, discipline was awful, hoping Burns finds his old form as seems very rusty.
I think he is starting to. Some things that he completely arsed up the last few games have started to stick - nowhere near 100% yet but the trajectory is the right direction at least!

IMO Burns is very much a confidence player; another W will do wonders for him
Burns frustrates me to hell, his pluses are generally countered by more minuses, like Finn Russell, and I was so up and down with him today. I cant understand why Hegarty was not taking the place kicks, do we have % kicking stats for each? Once again we managed to almost lose a game through our total indiscipline but the changes, especially Kelly, improved our chances enormously. Well done Tigers. :smt038
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:31 pm Tigers looked rusty in phase play but with Freddie having next to no game time at 10 that’s not surprising. Having said that the pass at the end was superb and he grew into the game really nicely.

Kelly and Clare made a big difference- Dolly’s lineout work let him down a few times and Kelly stopped their drift defence effectively. Muri was excellent going forward but poor in his defensive positioning. Saumaki’s finish outstanding.

Our fitness is the best I’ve seen for a long long time. We just get stronger as the other team wilt.

Amazing mentality to fight until the end like that. Never know when we are beaten. It’s becoming our signature. Tigers never say die.
The pass at the end for the Saumaki try was made by Kelly
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I though Joe Heyes came of age today - an immense performance across the park.

The back line spluttered for the main part until JVP and Kelly came on which gave balance to the midfield and bit more urgency at the base. It’s a bit unfair on Socino given he’s barely played but he wasn’t at the races and there was no continuity in midfield until Kelly came on.

A mixed bag, a mix and match team but 5pts and qualified after 3 games winning at Bordeaux and at Connacht in the process so what’s not to like!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Having a Centre partnership who have played lots together made a big difference.

I’m a fan of Socino just wonder if it’s more effective having him come off the bench like in the Sarries game