Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: CONNACHT (A) - Saturday 15th January 2022 - 3-15pm

Post by Scott1 »

tomsauce2000 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:39 pm Hi folks,

Connacht season ticket holder here. If there is any Leicester Tigers fan in Galway and hasn't managed to get a ticket for the game, send me a message. I have one definite spare and maybe 2. Unlikely that many travelled but if anyone is stuck for a ticket, I should be able to help out. The price of the ticket is one pint.

Tom
👏👏👏👏👏👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:25 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 pm Tom,
Travelling Tigers ??? Irish dwelling fans?
Thought restrictions in place or am I going ga ga?

Expecting a tough match COYT
I'm going to imitate a waterboy :smt030
There are some Tiger fans that have travelled instead of losing costs of travel and hotels and just making it a weekend break. No tickets were made available for sale to Tigers fans.

Thanks for clarification 👍
tomsauce2000

Post by tomsauce2000 »

No problem at all folks.

Just to clarify. There is a 50% capacity limit tomorrow which for us is around 3000. Our capacity can be increased to around 8000 with temporary stands etc but government regulations insist that 50% is calculated on the figure without temporary stands (around 6000 for us.) Connacht have less than 3000 season ticket holders but there was a package of 3 games put together a while ago that included the Tigers game. That 3 match package was honoured but general sale tickets had to be refunded for this match unfortunately.

It's a small ground so 3000 can make a good bit of noise and atmosphere. I was over in Leicester before Christmas and it was a great game so hopefully it'll be the same tomorrow, with a different result obviously!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Really hope Burns has a decent game - I’m concerned his chances of getting much more game time will be diminishing if he has to be hooked again.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The Connacht side to face Leicester Tigers tomorrow (k/o 3.15pm) has been named, with Andy Friend’s side aiming to go one step closer to a first appearance in the knockout stage.

There are three changes from the side originally named to face Munster on New Year’s Day. Two of those come in the tight five where Shane Delahunt starts at hooker and Niall Murray comes into the second row. Props Matthew Burke and Finlay Bealham and lock Oisín Dowling retain their places.

The back row as well as the half-back and centre pairings are all unchanged. Jarrad Butler is at number 8 with flankers Cian Prendergast and Conor Oliver alongside him, while Jack Carty captains the side beside scrum-half Kieran Marmion. Bundee Aki and Sammy Arnold start at 12 and 13 respectively.

The final change is in the back three where Connacht’s all-time record try scorer Matt Healy comes in for his first appearance of the season, starting on the wing with John Porch on the opposite wing and Tiernan O’Halloran at full-back.

Among the replacements is Paul Boyle who has recovered from injury to return to the matchday 23 for the first time since the end of November.

Commenting on the team selection, Head Coach Andy Friend says:

“This is a huge game and a huge opportunity for the club, but we’ve been treating this like any other game that we want to win. We’ve grown as a group even in the last month since we visited Leicester, so now it’s all about executing and playing as well as I know we’re capable of.

We’ll no doubt miss the few extra thousand supporters who would’ve been at The Sportsground without the current restrictions, but I’m sure those lucky enough to have a ticket will make their voices heard.”

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS LEICESTER TIGERS
Saturday 15th January, 15:15 @ The Sportsground

Number/Name/Caps ( * denotes uncapped)
15. Tiernan O’Halloran (197)
14. John Porch (47)
13. Sammy Arnold (26)
12. Bundee Aki (114)
11. Matt Healy (150)
10. Jack Carty (169) (C)
9. Kieran Marmion (196)
1. Matthew Burke (33)
2. Shane Delahunt (110)
3. Finlay Bealham (168)
4. Oisín Dowling (14)
5. Niall Murray (24)
6. Cian Prendergast (18)
7. Conor Oliver (30)
8. Jarrad Butler (83)

Replacements
16. Dave Heffernan (153)
17. Tietie Tuimauga (2)
18. Jack Aungier (22)
19. Ultan Dillane (123)
20. Paul Boyle (63)
21. Caolin Blade (139)
22. Conor Fitzgerald (44)
23. Tom Farrell (67)
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Just seen some of the training footage/photos and what stood out to me is just how tall Manz is. He looked much taller than Chessum, who towers over everyone but Snyman. I hope he goes well, he’s only young and this is the Champions Cup!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Looking at the bench I don't see Fred finishing the game, unless he's having a stormer. Saumaki on, Burns off, Steward to FB and Hegarty to 10 I'd expect.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 am Looking at the bench I don't see Fred finishing the game, unless he's having a stormer. Saumaki on, Burns off, Steward to FB and Hegarty to 10 I'd expect.
I think that is the thing with him. He is either a magician or needs to come off... I hope he plays like he did early in the season or before he went to Bath. Or do you mean due to fitness?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Pellsey wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:58 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 am Looking at the bench I don't see Fred finishing the game, unless he's having a stormer. Saumaki on, Burns off, Steward to FB and Hegarty to 10 I'd expect.
I think that is the thing with him. He is either a magician or needs to come off... I hope he plays like he did early in the season or before he went to Bath. Or do you mean due to fitness?
He obviously needs game time, but if he is struggling he will get hoiked off and they can swap around as you suggest. Difficult time for Freddie, I don’t get the impression SB has a lot of patience so let’s hope he has a stormer and gets some credit in the bank with the coaching team.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Yet Ford had an "average" game last week, no sign of him getting hooked...as always in his Tigers career it must be said.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Borthwick to me has patience imo but only if the player has the attitude he likes.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:38 pm Yet Ford had an "average" game last week, no sign of him getting hooked...as always in his Tigers career it must be said.
But Ford won Prem player of the month December and October. My point about Freddie Burns is that he hasn’t yet got much credit in the bank - whether that is because of injury, less-than-impressive performance or non selection. Ford doesn’t really need to do that. As I said, I am hoping he gets the opportunity to shine today.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:38 pm Yet Ford had an "average" game last week, no sign of him getting hooked...as always in his Tigers career it must be said.
That's because Ford's average is better than most on a good day.

Burns was really poor Vs Connacht and gifted them points iirc. He looked a bit sharper Vs Newcastle. Borthwick is obviously keen to give him chances but Freddie has to start taking them. Prem is the priority so unless he's pulling up trees he's not going to get game time there.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Think I'm gonna watch the replay of this instead of live, too stressed today! COYT!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not going to happen but should just go full on attack and try and get 2 Bonus points.