Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Post by kk20gb30 »

As it stands now, travel and crowd restrictions, revenue and atmosphere are all seeming factors in the onset of calls for both Wales and Scotland to move their Six Nations home matches into English stadiums.
Feasible, preferable, and/or desirable ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... GLAND.html

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... up-3515161
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Post by trendylfj »

Never thought I would be saying this but if the games were hosted in England, then that would undermine the rules that Wales and Scotland have put in place to protect their citizens. Just think of the numbers that would travel from not just there but other countries as well. Yes, there would be a large number who are based in England but it wouldn't stop others from traveling, so for me, the answer is no we should not host these games but I suspect I will be in a minority.
Hehehehehehehehe
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Post by fentiger »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 am Never thought I would be saying this but if the games were hosted in England, then that would undermine the rules that Wales and Scotland have put in place to protect their citizens. Just think of the numbers that would travel from not just there but other countries as well. Yes, there would be a large number who are based in England but it wouldn't stop others from traveling, so for me, the answer is no we should not host these games but I suspect I will be in a minority.
The question it raises in me is whether those rules are actually necessary in either Scotland or Wales or is that just playing with power? I'm probably the one in the minority!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am not sure it would be right to play the matches in England bearing in mind how much of a difference home advantage makes.

That said, if it had to be done (and I guess it may have to for financial reasons) then I would immediately strike out any suggestion that other teams play matches in London (reports are that Wales want to play at Spurs). If the matches all have to be in England then they should be played at the nearest available ground to the nation in question and so Scotland would play in the North East and Wales in the South West. Whilst doing this would not be ideal for the tournament, it would at least allow some people to watch international rugby who barely get a chance.

What will be interesting is to see team selection if the unvaccinated player ban remains in France.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:17 amWhat will be interesting is to see team selection if the unvaccinated player ban remains in France.
Alternately, tell the French they have to sit out the tournament if they wish to impose unilateral rules - not matter how well intentioned.

As a new Covid variant (IHU with multiple mutations) has now been identified in France, shouldn't all other nations react and impose restrictions on the French and their sporting stars regarding travel, vaccinated or otherwise?

Edit: None of which is likely to happen, aware of that. :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 am
GB72 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:17 amWhat will be interesting is to see team selection if the unvaccinated player ban remains in France.
Alternately, tell the French they have to sit out the tournament if they wish to impose unilateral rules - not matter how well intentioned.

As a new Covid variant (IHU with multiple mutations) has now been identified in France, shouldn't all other nations react and impose restrictions on the French and their sporting stars regarding travel, vaccinated or otherwise?

Fantastic points though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tbf it's the French government, and given how it has been an accepted practice by the home nations with regards to it being accepted as a stipulation of going on the Lions tour, I doubt the other home nations especially can complain about it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:33 pm

Tbf it's the French government, and given how it has been an accepted practice by the home nations with regards to it being accepted as a stipulation of going on the Lions tour, I doubt the other home nations especially can complain about it.
If my original post hadn't been 'edited' a comment within would have indicated my awareness of this.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can anyone tell me when the French started running the European competitions and the 6 nations? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's a farce that Wales Scotland and Ireland won't allow open air events to take place. The devolved nation governments in particular will do anything to distinguish themselves from Westminster, no matter at what cost to their own population and economies.

Dan Biggar has said it would be a huge retrograde step to play behind closed doors again. Ian McGeechan and now Rob Baxter agree that in the current circumstances it would be better to play games in England in front of capacity crowds, rather than in empty stadiums in Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Scotland can play in Newcastle (St James Park) and Wales could play in London (Spurs ground has been suggested) and the "home" nations can have priority for tickets just as they normally would. The atmosphere would be fantastic.

I can't see even Macron banning the British for much linger, given omicron is now all over Europe, it simply makes no sense. As for not allowing unvaccinated players in France, if that is their rule, we will have to accept that and the likes of Henry Slade will have to stay at home. Perhaps the loss of that match fee may persuade him and possibly others to get vaccinated, I can't see how they can live (have a social life) and travel in any meaningful way as an unvaccinated person, they must be mad. I don't believe in compulsory vaccinations, but making life difficult for them is fine by me.

Bring on the 6Ns I'm looking forward to it!!
Soggypitch
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'd agree Scotland in Newcastle but Wales perhaps in Manchester or Liverpool? To spread the games about a bit?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:41 pm I'd agree Scotland in Newcastle but Wales perhaps in Manchester or Liverpool? To spread the games about a bit?
It’s getting the dates with the football. Maybe get a game sorted at Villa Park
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:27 pm It's a farce that Wales Scotland and Ireland won't allow open air events to take place. The devolved nation governments in particular will do anything to distinguish themselves from Westminster, no matter at what cost to their own population and economies.

Dan Biggar has said it would be a huge retrograde step to play behind closed doors again. Ian McGeechan and now Rob Baxter agree that in the current circumstances it would be better to play games in England in front of capacity crowds, rather than in empty stadiums in Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Scotland can play in Newcastle (St James Park) and Wales could play in London (Spurs ground has been suggested) and the "home" nations can have priority for tickets just as they normally would. The atmosphere would be fantastic.

I can't see even Macron banning the British for much linger, given omicron is now all over Europe, it simply makes no sense. As for not allowing unvaccinated players in France, if that is their rule, we will have to accept that and the likes of Henry Slade will have to stay at home. Perhaps the loss of that match fee may persuade him and possibly others to get vaccinated, I can't see how they can live (have a social life) and travel in any meaningful way as an unvaccinated person, they must be mad. I don't believe in compulsory vaccinations, but making life difficult for them is fine by me.

I've read a few times that Slade's reluctance is down to an adverse reaction to a vaccination earlier in his life. Official statement here https://www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/sta ... enry-slade
Last edited by Cagey Tiger on Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:49 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:27 pm It's a farce that Wales Scotland and Ireland won't allow open air events to take place. The devolved nation governments in particular will do anything to distinguish themselves from Westminster, no matter at what cost to their own population and economies.

I've read a few times that Slade's reluctance is down to an adverse reaction to a vaccination earlier in his life. Dont have a y details.
Thought it was because of his diabetes. Either way it’s his choice,if folk are happy about his life “being made difficult” then that says more about them as a human being!