Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:52 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:49 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:27 pm It's a farce that Wales Scotland and Ireland won't allow open air events to take place. The devolved nation governments in particular will do anything to distinguish themselves from Westminster, no matter at what cost to their own population and economies.

Dan Biggar has said it would be a huge retrograde step to play behind closed doors again. Ian McGeechan and now Rob Baxter agree that in the current circumstances it would be better to play games in England in front of capacity crowds, rather than in empty stadiums in Cardiff and Edinburgh.

Scotland can play in Newcastle (St James Park) and Wales could play in London (Spurs ground has been suggested) and the "home" nations can have priority for tickets just as they normally would. The atmosphere would be fantastic.

I can't see even Macron banning the British for much linger, given omicron is now all over Europe, it simply makes no sense. As for not allowing unvaccinated players in France, if that is their rule, we will have to accept that and the likes of Henry Slade will have to stay at home. Perhaps the loss of that match fee may persuade him and possibly others to get vaccinated, I can't see how they can live (have a social life) and travel in any meaningful way as an unvaccinated person, they must be mad. I don't believe in compulsory vaccinations, but making life difficult for them is fine by me.

Bring on the 6Ns I'm looking forward to it!!
I've read a few times that Slade's reluctance is down to an adverse reaction to a vaccination earlier in his life. Dont have a y details.
Thought it was because of his diabetes. Either way it’s his choice,if folk are happy about his life “being made difficult” then that says more about them as a human being!
I heard that because of his diabetes he was technically a higher risk person so had the jab offered to him early, but due to an adverse reaction to one in the past he hadn't had a covid jab. That was a while ago and he may have changed his mind now, who knows.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JGT57

Re: Should The 2022 Six Nations Tournament be Played in England rather than behind Closed Doors ..?

Post by JGT57 »

‘’Thought it was because of his diabetes. Either way it’s his choice,if folk are happy about his life “being made difficult” then that says more about them as a human being!‘’

Totally agree
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

JGT57 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:14 pm ‘’Thought it was because of his diabetes. Either way it’s his choice,if folk are happy about his life “being made difficult” then that says more about them as a human being!‘’

Totally agree
The whole country (and beyond) have had their lives made difficult with restrictions that are now predominantly in place to protect those who have the choice, but choose to remain unvaccinated. That says a lot about that group as human beings too.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

loretta wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:27 am The whole country (and beyond) have had their lives made difficult with restrictions that are now predominantly in place to protect those who have the choice, but choose to remain unvaccinated. That says a lot about that group as human beings too.
Totally agree.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

There are over a million people being diagnosed every week in UK, with a considerable number dying or having to go to hospital. IMHO it is insane and completely irresponsible to allow so many people in one area, vaccinated or not. They are essentially approved superspreader events. Having the vaccine considerably lessens the chance of getting ill, going to hospital, or dying, but it still unfortunately happens.

Obviously it is far better to watch a game in a crowd with such an amazing atmosphere and it is obviously far better for the players, not to mention for the finances of the club, but so many people are dying and getting seriously ill. Is this really worth it!?

I've felt a lot safer being in France recently with mask mandates, and social distancing being enforced, vaccinated or not.

Personally, I would prefer a smaller socially-distanced crowd with everyone wearing masks.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

People make a decision on vaccination based on their own beliefs or health conditions and that is their right. However failure to vaccinate has consequences, for the safety of all the experts and many countries have stated that it is necessary to wear masks and produce vaccination certificates, failure to do so can mean being refused entry to events, various means of travel and of course other countries. We are allowed to make our own decisions but must accept the consequences of that decision, it cannot be different for an elite sportsman or any other famous person, it is not about making life difficult for them, the rules are in place they have decided not to conform so by their action or lack of action they place restrictions on themselves.
Earlier this season when Exeter visited our ground their official travelling party were not 85% vaccinated so for Covid safety reasons they had to be provided with completely separate changing facilities which meant the imposition of a Red Zone on the Crumbie South stand side, the closure of a bar and a reduction in the toilets available to fans, the press had to move to the North stand space being created mainly on the terrace designated for the disabled and wheelchairs causing some of those vulnerable people to feel insecure as their space was lessened.
Failure to vaccinate has consequences not only for those making the decision but also for others.
Myself I have been double vaccinated, and had the booster in October, in August I got Covid and I was poorly, however thanks to being protected against the disease although I was very ill I did not require hospital treatment and did not trouble the N.H.S. Scott is correct when he says the disease is being spread by the vaccinated and the unvaccinated but I would it is possible to be a carrier without actually having Covid, but if we all protect ourselves as best we can then we do not overburden the hospitals and those needing treatment for other reasons have a better chance of getting it.
Personally I am going to theatre, sporting events (Tigers) and shopping wearing a mask, sanitising when possible. I want life to continue to be as normal as possible and having three little pricks allows that to happen.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Transmission in itself isn't the biggest problem, the number of people infected with severe symptoms at any given time is.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Speaking of the 6N the whispers are that the Vunipolae and Farrell will be coming back into the team,that’s a big pass from me. I’ll take a back seat if so!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Where have you got that from ?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:14 pm Where have you got that from ?
I jumped the gun (not like me 😉),it was a piece from McCall! I’m still worried Farrell will come straight back in though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I saw a report saying they would be back to fitness by the 6 nations. Guaranteed Farrell will walk straight back into the England team. I'd rather he got dumped or at least on the bench for a bit.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

loretta wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:27 am
JGT57 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:14 pm ‘’Thought it was because of his diabetes. Either way it’s his choice,if folk are happy about his life “being made difficult” then that says more about them as a human being!‘’

Totally agree
The whole country (and beyond) have had their lives made difficult with restrictions that are now predominantly in place to protect those who have the choice, but choose to remain unvaccinated. That says a lot about that group as human beings too.
Thank you Loretta.

I think the vast majority of us are very happy to see full stadiums again, not least the players! So it would be a great shame if any of the 6Ns games have to be played behind closed doors.

There are still those on this forum and elsewhere that seem concerned about large crowds etc....and I'm not surprised if they are old or vulnerable, especially given the constant barrage of Covid headlines from the whole media.

However even the BBC has now provided some comfort on the current figures, see; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59862568

So I think the majority are very comfortable for crowds to be back, let's hope that doesn't change and the 6Ns can be played in a good spirit in front of capacity crowds, be that in Twickenham, St James's Park or wherever!!
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:50 am
loretta wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:27 am

Totally agree
Thank you Loretta.

I think the vast majority of us are very happy to see full stadiums again, not least the players! So it would be a great shame if any of the 6Ns games have to be played behind closed doors.

There are still those on this forum and elsewhere that seem concerned about large crowds etc....and I'm not surprised if they are old or vulnerable, especially given the constant barrage of Covid headlines from the whole media.

However even the BBC has now provided some comfort on the current figures, see; https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59862568

So I think the majority are very comfortable for crowds to be back, let's hope that doesn't change and the 6Ns can be played in a good spirit in front of capacity crowds, be that in Twickenham, St James's Park or wherever!!
Yes ,fantastic news on those figures! Viruses generally weaken and that’s what’s happening,hopefully things will be back to normal soon! I’ve had the virus,just getting over it in fact and looking forward now I have natural post infection immunity 💪
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Good news now Sturgeon is allowing fans back at matches, let's hope Drakeford does the same........I'm not holding my breath!!

What's the situation in Ireland?
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Top 14 cancelled games to be caught up during 6N