Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by Crofty »

Truefollower wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:15 pm
DaveRave wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 pm Truefollower - I think it was Tempest.
Thanks for that, I knew it was someone not at the top of the referee charts.
It was that game against Bristol where Pat "Liar" Lam and Ian "Total Control" Tempest gained their nicknames...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The leg was lifted above the horizontal and Simmonds drives his head into the ground. Not his fault Marlers body postion is that way but he still has a duty of care,and i don't recall seeing anything like that week in week out. Red for me,Sam's a lucky boy.
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:27 pm The leg was lifted above the horizontal and Simmonds drives his head into the ground. Not his fault Marlers body postion is that way but he still has a duty if care,and i don't recall seeing anything like that week in week out. Red for me,Sam's a lucky boy.
Golden boy, surely?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crofty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:28 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:27 pm The leg was lifted above the horizontal and Simmonds drives his head into the ground. Not his fault Marlers body postion is that way but he still has a duty if care,and i don't recall seeing anything like that week in week out. Red for me,Sam's a lucky boy.
Golden boy, surely?
Looks that way!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:56 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm
Drove him into the ground,red for me all day mate
The drive was a result of Hepburn letting go having taken his legs above the horizontal. Simmonds did not do anything wrong to warrant a red card.
Still has a duty of care to not drive his opponents head into the floor! You're not gonna convince me,others have said it too. Double red for me all day
If Hepburn isn't there he would have been barely above horizontal and not landed on his head, his actions are reckless and out of control, but for me there was no intent to spear.

Yes reckless and out of control so yellow only for me. Are you not the one who says players shouldn't be judged on outcome but their action in isolation? In this case Simmonds actions probably were a yellow card but not a red so I can understand the lack of citing.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:51 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:49 pm
The drive was a result of Hepburn letting go having taken his legs above the horizontal. Simmonds did not do anything wrong to warrant a red card.
Still has a duty of care to not drive his opponents head into the floor! You're not gonna convince me,others have said it too. Double red for me all day
If Hepburn isn't there he would have been barely above horizontal and not landed on his head, his actions are reckless and out of control, but for me there was no intent to spear.

Yes reckless and out of control so yellow only for me. Are you not the one who says players shouldn't be judged on outcome but their action in isolation? In this case Simmonds actions probably were a yellow card but not a red so I can understand the lack of citing.
Agree to disagree and using a lack of citing as evidence doesn't really cut it with how shockingly inconsistent the citing panels seem to be. Let's just move on shall we
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Agree to disagree and using a lack of citing as evidence doesn't really cut it with how shockingly inconsistent the citing panels seem to be. Let's just move on shall we
That's fair enough, happy to disagree on it.

I will say this isn't the citing panel, if he's not been cited then the panel aren't looking at anything, this is down to the citing officer along with the match officials.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:32 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:15 pm

That's fair enough, happy to disagree on it.

I will say this isn't the citing panel, if he's not been cited then the panel aren't looking at anything, this is down to the citing officer along with the match officials.
Good point 👍
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:10 pm -1. To win it you have to win the playoffs ,didn't hear anyone moaning about us winning it from 4th!
It doesn't & didn't feel the same.
If you want the playoffs have it as a separate thing.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:10 pm -1. To win it you have to win the playoffs ,didn't hear anyone moaning about us winning it from 4th!
It doesn't & didn't feel the same.
If you want the playoffs have it as a separate thing.
Like League,a plate winner and a championship winner? Good idea!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I have a vague memory that's how it was first set up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

When the play-offs were first introduced 2000/2001(after that season had started) and involved quarters and semi finals s a team finishing eighth in the league could be hailed as champions, protests from some clubs (Tigers) resulted in the decision to award a trophy for finishing top (a plate) as well as a magnificent cup for winning the play-off. Of course that year we won both and the Heineken Cup, the following year although we topped the Premiership we were not playing well towards the end of the season and Deano rested a few players at play-pff time concentrating on the Heineken Cup. With the media referring to us as Champions despite not even being in the Premiership's Twickenham Final it was felt that the trophy was devalued so the plate for finishing top was discontinued and the champions would only be the winning team at the Cabbage patch.
I do think that now twenty years later it would be good to award a top of the Premiership trophy with a separate competition between the top four clubs for another trophy.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

When they first introduced the play offs, it was changed during a season. Hence the Shield and Tigers being called Champions.
I have no issue with the Champions being the winner of the play offs as teams are not able to play their best players for all league games due to internationals. I agree that the team finishing top of the table should get some recognition and be awarded a trophy.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 pm When they first introduced the play offs, it was changed during a season. Hence the Shield and Tigers being called Champions.
I have no issue with the Champions being the winner of the play offs as teams are not able to play their best players for all league games due to internationals. I agree that the team finishing top of the table should get some recognition and be awarded a trophy.
The team finishing top of the league are true champions having proved winners through all weather's, injuries, international calls etc.

Winners of the play offs have the opportunity to come good at the end. Which maybe some compensation for international call ups depleting squads.

The champions, to me, are those who come through a season, with all that throws at you, and finish on top
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:38 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:21 pm No citing for Genge,looks like Simmonds has got away with it too!
Simmonds was fine, assuming you’re on about the Marler incident?
Drove him into the ground,red for me all day mate
Hepburn not Simmonds