Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok one more game and we have gone half the season unbeaten.

Firstly lets hope we get to sort it on the pitch and no covid interruptions.

Hopefully Van Staden will have progressed through his return to play protocols.

I'd go:
Steward
Porter
Moroni
Scott
Nadolo
Ford
JVP
Genge
Montoya
Heyes
Chessum
Synman
Martin
Reffell
Van Staden

Clare
Whitcombe
Cole
Green
Dolly/Henderson
Youngs
Hegarty
Murimurivalu

Wells IMO put in a huge shift and he's had a lot of minutes recently so think he could do with the weekend off if we can work it. If Henderson is fit I'd have him in the 23 and put Chessum into the back row if Henderson came on.

Other than that a few bits of rotation like a break for Potter but pretty consistent.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Away vs Wasps 9th Jan 3pm

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Who knows what Borthers will pull out of the hat for next week. I think we should go as strong as possible to go into the European break unbeaten and riding high.

Steward has played 834 minutes in 13 matches (av 64)
Ford has played 768 minutes in 12 matches (av 64)
Wells has played 753 minutes in 14 matches (av 54)
Potter has played 626 minutes in 10 matches (av 63)
Reffell has played 624 minutes in 13 matches (av 48)
Cole has played 616 minutes in 13 matches (av 46)
Martin has played 577 minutes in 11 matches (av 52)
Genge has played 573 minutes in 11 matches (av 52)
Youngs has played 541 minutes in 12 matches (av 45)
Dolly has played 505 minutes in 13 matches (av 39)

The list goes on..

Away to Connaught personally I would I expect us to rest the likes of Steward, Ford, Wells, Potter and Cole and depending on back row options potentially Martin who have racked up a fair few minutes this season.

For Wasps I would go:

15. Steward
14. Potter
13. Moroni
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. JVP
1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Green
5. Synman
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Martin

16. Dolly
17. Leatigaga
18. Heyes
19. Wells
20. Van Staden
21. Youngs
22. Hegarty
23. Porter

If Van Staden is fully fit I would be tempted to start him at 8 and bench Martin but after the concussion who knows. Maybe impact off the bench would be a good option. We seem to like having the impact bench so having the likes of Leatigaga, Heyes, Wells and Van Staden coming on around 50 minutes would be a huge impact
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tigerbeat

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by Tigerbeat »

I suspect that the Bordeaux match may not go ahead with current restrictions in place.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I hear the French have started to step down some of their internal restrictions and the ban on traffic getting to the Channel tunnel didn’t last long. The ski industry not happy at an effective ban on British visitors. Macron not averse to playing politics with such things in an election year so who knows what will be in place in a couple of weeks.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Back row options are likely to be determined by who is fit rather than desire to rest them.

Dolly was the bench back forward row yesterday! Kini also came on on the flank too.

Releasing Brink early might have been premature. We haven’t seen Henderson for some time. Van Staden KO’d last week and Wiese suspended. Will we see some of the dual registered players next week? Not sure we will get away with playing our loose heads in the back row against Wasps!
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:26 am Back row options are likely to be determined by who is fit rather than desire to rest them.

Dolly was the bench back forward row yesterday! Kini also came on on the flank too.

Releasing Brink early might have been premature. We haven’t seen Henderson for some time. Van Staden KO’d last week and Wiese suspended. Will we see some of the dual registered players next week? Not sure we will get away with playing our loose heads in the back row against Wasps!
Wasps are very depleted through injury, I’d suggest they’ll be no more difficult than falcons currently, albeit at their (empty) ground. That said as we know there are no easy games in this league.

Henderson is a worry as he was coming along nicely and would be very useful to have in the squad this weekend.

I’m sure we will muddle through again until we have MVS and JW available, and I’m feeling confident of the win regardless of what team we put out. In Borthwick we trust!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

nicmattyg wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:46 am
mol2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:26 am Back row options are likely to be determined by who is fit rather than desire to rest them.

Wasps are very depleted through injury, I’d suggest they’ll be no more difficult than falcons currently, albeit at their (empty) ground. That said as we know there are no easy games in this league.

Henderson is a worry as he was coming along nicely and would be very useful to have in the squad this weekend.

I’m sure we will muddle through again until we have MVS and JW available, and I’m feeling confident of the win regardless of what team we put out. In Borthwick we trust!
Henderson posted on Instagram recently a post suggesting he may be returning to fitness soon
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I really hope we win this. Not just because it's Wasps but because (and I'll whisper this, for fear of upsetting the rugby gods) we will have then beaten every other team in a straight, one after the other, run. A marvellous feat.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:42 pm I really hope we win this. Not just because it's Wasps but because (and I'll whisper this, for fear of upsetting the rugby gods) we will have then beaten every other team in a straight, one after the other, run. A marvellous feat.
Technically we've already done that, we won our last game last season vs them
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I'd go full strength for Wasps then rotate for Connacht as required.

Wells looked pretty cooked towards the end against Falcons so I'd try to use him off the bench this weekend. Maybe split Youngs and Ford as well so that we can have one start and one resting over the next two weeks.

Wasps home:

1.Genge 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Snyman 5.Green 6.Chessum 7.Reffell 8.Martin
9.JvP 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Kelly 13.Moroni 14.Potter 15.Steward

16.Dolly 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Henderson/Ilione 21.Wigglesworth 22.Hegarty 23.Porter

Connacht away:

1.Leatigaga 2.Dolly 3.Heyes 4.Wells 5.Snyman 6.Martin 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Burns 11.Porter 12.Kelly 13.Scott 14.Kini 15.Hegarty

16.Clare 17.Whitcombe 18.Cole 19.Green 20.Henderson/Ilione 21.JvP 22.Socino 23.Saumaki

Ilione being in the U20 Six Nations squad is great news as he might be fit soon too.

Hopefully Henderson is getting there too. With how well Chessum has kicked on and Snyman settling well it's easy to forget that Henderson was starting at the end of last season.

If Hanro and Marco can get back soon it's a huge boost.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Wasps injuries are clearing and they will be an incredibly stern test.
They have done exceptionally well coping without their injured but are still a very dangerous team and how many times before should Tigers have beaten Wasps only to lose! Too many.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

F Van Wyk injured?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Just a note to ABClub - we're away. Presumably, supporters will be rattling round like peas in a cocoa tin.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
shanghaitiger
Tiger Cub

Post by shanghaitiger »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:11 pm Just a note to ABClub - we're away. Presumably, supporters will be rattling round like peas in a cocoa tin.
Where's everyone sitting this weekend? Thinking I will book tickets through the Tigers link sent out to season ticket holders a while back so we can make some noise... :smt035
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:11 pm Just a note to ABClub - we're away. Presumably, supporters will be rattling round like peas in a cocoa tin.
Based on their recent attendances there's a very good possibility that Tigers fans may be in the majority...