Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Wasps (A) - Sunday 9th January 2022 - 3pm

Post by chris111 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:31 am
LtPigeon wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:20 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ing-streak

Oh crikey, it’s Leicester! - an excellent interview with Dosser Smith
I don’t like this sort of journalism, although I appreciate why they do it. From a coach/player perspective it can be a potential distraction and people start talking and thinking about records rather than focus on the job at hand.

I know Borthwick will do everything he can to ignore it all and say the same to the players. They always trot out the right words about just concentrating on the next game, but it is true. The more talk about records, how Wasps were the team to end the Willar’s team run, the more difficult the job for the coaches to keep the players minds focussed.

There just isn’t the mind space for it sometimes.
Richie, I really don’t think it’s in the job spec for a sports reporter to make life easier for coaches! They want to write interesting articles and I found this one fascinating - it was lovely to reminisce about former glory days.

As it happens, I also think it will make not one iota of difference to the outcome of the next - or any future - match. Players and coaches are surrounded by media chatter and I’m sure one piece in the Guardian isn’t going to throw them off track!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

chris111 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:32 pm
LtPigeon wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:20 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... ing-streak

Oh crikey, it’s Leicester! - an excellent interview with Dosser Smith
I don’t like this sort of journalism, although I appreciate why they do it. From a coach/player perspective it can be a potential distraction and people start talking and thinking about records rather than focus on the job at hand.

I know Borthwick will do everything he can to ignore it all and say the same to the players. They always trot out the right words about just concentrating on the next game, but it is true. The more talk about records, how Wasps were the team to end the Willar’s team run, the more difficult the job for the coaches to keep the players minds focussed.

Richie, I really don’t think it’s in the job spec for a sports reporter to make life easier for coaches! They want to write interesting articles and I found this one fascinating - it was lovely to reminisce about former glory days.

As it happens, I also think it will make not one iota of difference to the outcome of the next - or any future - match. Players and coaches are surrounded by media chatter and I’m sure one piece in the Guardian isn’t going to throw them off track!
Yeah, I know. There is part of it that is just fed up of being a bit edgy myself every time a game comes along - wondering if this is going to be the one to break the run. Oh for mid-table security! Not really - really enjoying this season and seeing the youngster in particular developing and hoping we will see more of them coming through. Geordie and others deserve some credit for some of that.

I don’t like getting anxious or nervy, I like to focus on the implementation of the tactics and how the coaches and players adapt. I like to see players doing their job well on the pitch and usually that means we win.

I don’t like talking or hearing about winning streaks.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RichieB wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:58 pm
chris111 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:32 pm

Yeah, I know. There is part of it that is just fed up of being a bit edgy myself every time a game comes along - wondering if this is going to be the one to break the run. Oh for mid-table security! Not really - really enjoying this season and seeing the youngster in particular developing and hoping we will see more of them coming through. Geordie and others deserve some credit for some of that.

I don’t like getting anxious or nervy, I like to focus on the implementation of the tactics and how the coaches and players adapt. I like to see players doing their job well on the pitch and usually that means we win.

I don’t like talking or hearing about winning streaks.
Easier said than done and this is coming from a professional worrier; however, I really am just trying to enjoy the upward trajectory that we seem to be on rather than worry about when it might end - as all good things come to an end eventually!

Last few seasons we would have been ecstatic to string together back to back away wins or a run of 3 matches yet here we are with 16 wins in all competitions. In that run we have beaten every side in the Premiership (Wasps end of last season), we are out clear at the top of the Premiership, top equal in our European Champions Cup group and top of our PRC table. We will lose at some stage; I sincerely hope it's not this weekend to Wasps but it will happen, perhaps away to Connacht.

I know it's easier said than done but enjoy the ride, all good things come to an end so enjoy riding high while it lasts.. life is too short to spend it worrying.. COYT :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I was quite nervous up until a few games ago, now I'm not too worried if we lose - unless it's a really poor performance that hints at some underlying weakness in our team.

I think the winning run is somewhat deceptive, there are at least a couple of games in there which we probably lose 9 times out of 10.

What is important between now and May is not maintaining the flawless record, but continuing to build the experience, character, depth and ability so that we can win knockout matches against the likes of Saracens, Exeter etc. Part 2 of the season for Tigers is surely now preparation for the playoffs, not competing in a race to qualify for them - one or two defeats along the way might be quite good for us.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Given the results today whilst not a must win (worst we can be is remain 7 points ahead of Sarries) a win tomorrow would mean we could pretty much lose 5 games without getting any points and still be in the top 4 and 3 wins without a point and basically be top still.

Would be massive for the 6N’s international period.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree with you but I think that the team we can put out in the six nations barring injuries looks much stronger than usual even if we lose Ford, Genge, Martin and Scott
A2O
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I'll be there tomorrow, and while the prospect of losing to the squatters next door and being there to take the stick is not a possibility I'm relishing, I remind myself that I've been present at a lot of losses in the last few years. At WR. And if I can take that, I can take a loss away.

Having said that, I'm still mostly optimistic, albeit with a touch of "it's all too good to be true". Mind you, I've felt the same way about a lot of games this year! So. Bring it on. With any luck, we'll be the ones smiling at the end.

IBWT
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/s ... r-round-12
Guess who won player of the week playing at number 6, oh well what do I know, nice to see a decent sprinkling of Tigers in there, even if there should have been more
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/s ... r-round-12
Guess who won player of the week playing at number 6, oh well what do I know, nice to see a decent sprinkling of Tigers in there, even if there should have been more
I don't think there's any Tigers fan who don't think Wells is a quality player for us. Borthwick clearly rates him highly. It's just that most prefer him as a mobile lock rather than a more ponderous blindside. He was extremely good last weekend and I have no doubt he'll play well again tomorrow but against the best sides particularly on a dry track he'd struggle at 6. In poor conditions mid winter he'll do well at 6.

I'm hoping we see more of a Wells/Chessum combo as the spring weather comes round. Mobile, physical and good lineout options.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/s ... r-round-12
Bit strange they used an image of MVS for a Harry Wells headline, he's not a Quin global superstar so they probably don't care. :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I know we will probably lose one at some point but I think this run finally buries that cliche that makes me grind my teeth. The one that says the title is won in the closing stages of the season. It really helps if you are well ahead in the first part and there is no catching up to do.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Now we have the payoffs there is a point that the winners are decided on the form at the end of the season. You could be 20 points ahead but your form in the last two games deciders who is champion. Table place gives some advantages but final game performance decides.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It’s all about that home semi,first or second is all good for me. The final table means nothing as long as you finish top 4 and have a chance of winning it. Although I do believe you only have roughly an 18% chance of winning an away play off.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Offside wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:36 pm Now we have the payoffs there is a point that the winners are decided on the form at the end of the season. You could be 20 points ahead but your form in the last two games deciders who is champion. Table place gives some advantages but final game performance decides.
I increasingly find myself looking at the difference between us and 5th for when we eventually drop a game or 2. Currently 15 points with a game in hand.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I did not expect us to be top of the league at this point, that is testimony to the squad and the team off field behind them, no reason that we should not target every game as a must win, looking after the players welfare must be at the top of the agenda though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.